115 Federal St. (Winthrop Square)

Status
Not open for further replies.
cityrecord said:
My three year old has an early design entry for the Winthrop Square site. You can see that she likes working in a Danish aesthetic and her plan allows for a certain slender gracefulness. Fabrication is easy as well: the exterior is injection molded and snaps together on site. She may rethink the color scheme however.

You should submit this before the RFP deadline in November. It has a very Dr. Suess looking quality about it. Maybe the name of the building could be..."The Grinch who stole the Winthrop Square site".

When do you guys think we'll start seeing the proposals in the news?

ha!

cityrecord, you must be so proud (i would be!)

i haven't been to Philly lately, but I can say no great things about baltimore's modern skysrapers...run of the mill...

here is an admitedly small sampling of Baltimore architecture ca. April
(shots taken by a friend)

baltimore1.jpg

baltimore2.jpg

baltimore3.jpg

baltimore4.jpg

baltimore5.jpg

baltimore6.jpg

Despite going to Washington COUNTLESS times, I've never been to Baltimore. I'd love to go though.

i spent time in both that weekend, and although I was impressed by Baltimore (mostly because i had such low expectations) it was no DC...

Dang, cityrecord, I'm impressed you know that Lego is Danish!

ALEEJAC said:
Dang, cityrecord, I'm impressed you know that Lego is Danish!

As the Roman playwright Seneca once wrote, "It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." I prove him right on a daily basis!

Merper:

The photos of Baltimore are pretty much as I remember it the last time I was there (four years ago maybe?). My sense of Baltimore is that there is a lot of underutilized space downtown above the first floors of some of the older office buildings. One thing I do like about Baltimore (and D.C.) are the public markets, which I hope Boston can create at some point. One of the great things when I lived in D.C. was access to Eastern Market.

I am proud of daughter of cityrecord--she's very much a city kid. She just turned three and loves riding the T and old buildings. She also modified her design last night before going to bed, and I photographed it on the roof this morning, looking towards South Boston. It would appear that her plan is to bring the first floor out to the sidewalk edge to harmonize with the smaller buildings in Winthrop Square. I suggested that she might want to have some sort of atrium on the second over the main entrance, but she gave me a funny look and said something about a swimming pool.

cityrecord said:
She also modified her design last night before going to bed, and I photographed it on the roof this morning, looking towards South Boston. It would appear that her plan is to bring the first floor out to the sidewalk edge to harmonize with the smaller buildings in Winthrop Square. I suggested that she might want to have some sort of atrium on the second over the main entrance, but she gave me a funny look and said something about a swimming pool.
Daughter of City Record has a very astute sense of the process involved in getting a building constructed in Boston. Start out tall and slender, then make the complainers happy by going short and stubby. I think the BRA still won't approve this design, though. For that, you'll need to get her a bunch more red legos.

The TALLEST it can be is 1,000? Oh well. I guess I'll take it. I was hoping for, say, 1,050ish

I wrote an email to the mayor asking him to make the height limit at least 1050 feet, so that when it's completed it will be the tallest building in the U.S. outside of NY and Chicago.

shiz02130 said:
I wrote an email to the mayor asking him to make the height limit at least 1050 feet, so that when it's completed it will be the tallest building in the U.S. outside of NY and Chicago.
San Francisco might also make that list if they get there 1200ft tower approved.

Re: 115 Winthrop Square, aka Menino's Phallic Going-Away Pre

castevens said:
Just a reminder:

Menino?s 1,000-foot tower site out for bid at end of May
By Scott Van Voorhis
Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Mayor Thomas M. Menino may want to transform the Hub?s skyline with a stunning 1,000-foot-high tower, but it?s anyone?s bet whether the mayor will still be in office to see the fruits of his labor.
City Hall yesterday took the first steps toward making Menino?s towering vision a reality. The Boston Redevelopment Authority began advertising that it will put out a formal request for proposals on May 30.
Builders will show how they would transform a run-down city-owned parking garage off Winthrop Square into possibly Boston?s tallest building.
So far, dozens of firms have inquired, with one of Boston?s top tower builders already signaling to the Herald that he is prepared to make a deal.
John Hynes, a top executive with the New Jersey-based Gale Co. and developer of State Street?s new headquarters tower near South Station, said he envisions an office tower that could soar 50 to 75 stories into the city?s skyline.
Still, Menino?s proposal for a new centerpiece skyscraper, while grand, is also complicated enough so that it could take seven to 10 years before Bostonians would have a new jewel in its skyline - one that could tower over the Hancock building or Don Chiofaro?s International Place, one top industry executive said yesterday.
?Let?s put it this way: It?s not going to happen in this term,? said David Begelfer, head of the local chapter of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties.
But city officials counter that seven to 10 years is far too long a period for a project that, given the mayor?s backing, is likely to get strong support from City Hall.
?With this asset, we will insist on bold vision and world-class architecture,? Menino said yesterday in a press statement. ?In short, a stunning statement of our belief in Boston?s bright future.?
Hynes also said he doesn?t think it would take 10 years to permit and build a tower on the site. He?s targeting a 2011 opening date for his office and residential tower, if he is chosen.

I thought a building "story" was roughly 10 or 11 feet tall. like a 105 foot building is usually ten stories. so why havent we heard anything of at least a 90+ story structure?

this will be amazing when built. and it will get built, boston seems like the type of city where something like this would be supported after the initial nimby criticisms. i can see something like this fitting in nicely with the rest of the skyline. the US bank building in L.A. is 1,000 feet, and this is a photo of it. imagine adding this to boston. cant wait.

4542801uw.jpg

Patrick said:
I thought a building "story" was roughly 10 or 11 feet tall. like a 105 foot building is usually ten stories. so why havent we heard anything of at least a 90+ story structure?

The height between floors depends on the buildings use. Residential and especially hotels have can have a floor to floor in the 10ft range (sometimes under). Office Buildings require more space between floors to allow for tenant build-out (mechanicals are above the ceiling). You will rarely see a floor to floor less than 13ft in office buildings and they could be up to 15ft on some of the older office towers.

TC said:
Patrick said:

The height between floors depends on the buildings use. Residential and especially hotels have can have a floor to floor in the 10ft range (sometimes under). Office Buildings require more space between floors to allow for tenant build-out (mechanicals are above the ceiling). You will rarely see a floor to floor less than 13ft in office buildings and they could be up to 15ft on some of the older office towers.

ahh, I see, why didn't I think of that, I've always wondered about that, makes so much sense now that I think about it Thanks.

Tycoons being neighborly: Belkin, Zell may be eyeing tower
By Scott Van Voorhis/ Dealmakers
Friday, June 9, 2006

A global hunt is on to find a developer with the soaring desire to build the tallest skyscraper the Hub skyline has ever seen.

Mayor Thomas M. Menino has called for a new 1,000-foot commercial beacon to replace a crumbling downtown garage and fire up local business pride.

But even as would-be tower builders in Malaysia or Dubai mull the prospect of a Beantown adventure, a dream team with local roots - and the backing of a national property powerhouse - may be in the works.

The local man on the ground is none other than Steve Belkin, a Boston-based entrepreneur who made a fortune in the credit and travel business and went on to buy a pair of pro hockey and basketball teams in Atlanta.

Belkin is a man of bold gambits and diverse talents.

Years ago, he bought a Financial District high-rise - one that just happens to be next door to the Winthrop garage site that City Hall is offering up to tower developers.

Long before Menino was touting his skyrise plan, Belkin was shopping his own tower proposal combining his site with the neighboring city garage. And now Belkin appears to be homing in on the perfect building partner - national office tower titan Sam Zell.

As with any good partnership, these two business magnates come to the table with a common interest.

Both are key abutters of the rundown garage at the center of Menino?s skyscraper dreams.

Zell?s Chicago-based Equity Office Properties controls a nationwide property empire.

Equity?s huge Boston portfolio just happens to include a Federal Street high-rise that sits on the other side of the city garage site.

Now there are mounting signs that Belkin and Zell?s Equity Office are fast becoming more than just fellow abutters.

Belkin recently hired Boston public relations spinmaster Pam McDermott. McDermott is known for handling big development projects like Fan Pier. And - surprise, surprise - she also handles public relations for Equity?s mini office tower empire in Boston.

For two, would-be rival tower developers to share the same public relations guru is unheard of - unless they are eyeing a partnership.

And, if they are not considering it, they should.

The city garage, while in a key location, is considered a fairly modest site to build a tower on.

But if Belkin and Equity join the deal, a cramped site becomes the launching pad for the kind of landmark tower project Menino is yearning for here.

Still, others with their own tower ambitions are lining up.

Alan Leventhal, head of Beacon Capital, has taken out the city?s bid package for the tower site.

So has Boston Properties, which owns Back Bay?s Prudential Center.

Formidable competitors, surely. But not enough to trump a pair of tycoons with an inside track on the biggest Hub development deal of the new century.

http://business.bostonherald.com/businessNews/view.bg?articleid=142794

This project is catching the attention of some impressive competition. Equity office and Boston Properties have deep pockets. They are the type of people that can get something like this off of the drawing board and into the ground. With the collaboration of neighboring properties, this project looks even more likely to happen.

I went down to the BRA this morning and viewed the 115 Winthrop Square RFP. I was not allowed to use my laptop while viewing the document, and was instructed not to use a digital camera either. This air of secrecy was a little annoying, since it's not as though they need to do this to make sure potential developers pay the $5,000 purchase fee (since if a developer is going to submit a proposal, the BRA could make them buy it then if they hadn't already). As already mentioned, there is also a $25,000 fee to submit a proposal. According to the lady who is in charge of the little room where they keep every single proposal that the BRA is currently looking at, seven copies of the RFP have been bought so far (it became available on May 30). That's pretty good, I think.

What was interesting to me about the RFP was that there was almost no technical information about the site, like dimensions, etc. In fact, the only number in the entire pamphlet was the reference to the fact that the city expects this building to be a new tallest for Boston. There was an appendix, which consisted largely of reference information that a developer will need in order to comply with various local zoning regulations (for example, the resolutions about no new shadows on the common and public garden). The rest of the appendix was checklists and descriptions of exactly what documents each developer was expected to submit as part of his proposal (one thing they have to include is a little wooden model of the building that is correctly scaled to fit into that huge model the BRA has of downtown Boston - the "map room"). There were suggestions of seven or eight locations they might want to use as the POVs for renderings. That part made me realize that this building is going to dramatically change the skyline from practically every vantage point around downtown.

The most interesting part of the appendix was a section devoted to FAA regulations. The city of Boston has already hired a consulting firm, which looked into the formulae the FAA uses to determine whether a potential building might propose a "hazard" to air traffic. There were three key criteria, ALL three of which had to be present for the FAA to declare a building a hazard. The first was a simple question of being over a certain height if the site is within a certain distance from the end of any runway in the area. This building will certainly be over the height threshold. The second had to do with flight paths (which included take-off and landing, but also for planes that are just flying through the area), and the third had to do with whether or not the building would cause a large enough change in the operation of the airport that efficiency would be affected. Anyway, interesting stuff.

Here's the relevant info from the RFP (in shorthand, so I hope it makes sense). There were also background pictures of existing buildings on each page, a sort of montage, and each one had a little slogan, so I'll include the gist of that stuff too:

Urban Design Objectives:

A. Architecture / Building Form

1. icon - tallest and most notable downtown structure, to redefine image of skyline.
2. provide new, long-term viability for public realm in financial district.
3. immediately become memorable and marketable.
4. express Boston's long-standing reputation as a center for innovation.
5. architecture should be on the cutting edge of the 21st century, expressing the bold, forward-looking, creative, inventive, technological spirit of Boston.
6. alignment of taller parts will express street pattern, making building uniquely Boston, and helping orient people to downtown.
7. architectural icon AND new type of building for Boston - combining public and private uses, sustainable technology, public realm at multiple levels of structure.

-Ulm Cathedral, Germany
-Chrysler Building, NY
-Woolworth Building, NY

Skyscrapers represent ambitions and aspirations: religious, cultural, economic.

B. Massing / Height

1. no specific height given, expected to be up to 1000 feet.
2. massing will enhance composition of surrounding buildings, express importance of the pivotal location.
3. civic character, especially at ground level.
4. base of tower will reinforce streetwalls of Devonshire and Federal streets. Since Devonshire's streetwall is "irregular," it will create an effective transition between the facades of the existing buildings.
5. base of tower will conform to massing in district, filling lot to a height of 5-10 floors at base.
6. location of site in the middle of Boston's tall buildings, and the additional height that will be allowed, create an opportunity for project to be the "organizing element" for the entire skyline.

-Bank of China, HK
-7 South Dearborn, Chicago
-London Bridge Tower (Piano!)

A tower can lend its identity to the city, and even become and icon FOR the city.

C. Building Uses

1. multi-level, multi-use civic spaces. Create a destination - bringing new life and energy to the financial district.
2. public spaces of base, middle and top levels. includes an observation deck withing the top 1/3 of the building, which will include 360-degree views, restaurants, and a entertainment/info center.
3. ground-level lobby will be a spectacular multi-level space, including civic, cultural, recreational and retail activities.
4. upper floors may include residential, hotel, recreational, office, retail activities.
5.service docks and parking spaces must be internal to the site, and located below grade (also there must be at least 600 public parking spaces, in addition to whatever the developer wants to put in for people who use and live in the building).

-Hansen Corporation Tower, Korea
-Highcliff & Summit, HK
-Turning Torso, Sweden

Residential use, because of smaller floorplates, can result in slender buildings which include elements of a more human scale, one example being balconies.

D. Pedestrian, Vehicular Circulation

1. function as working part of pedestrian/vehicular circulation, street and block pattern, organization of street level activities.
2. ground floor - direct pedestrian passage through lobby with unobstructed views from Federal to Devonshire.
3. improve open space connections, facilitate movement between Greenway, Post Office Square park, and Winthrop Square park.
4. main entrances will face both Devonshire and Federal streets. The Devonshire entrance will be located directly opposite the diagonal path which leads through Winthrop Square to Winthrop place, that little footpath which leads to Washington Street and DTX.
5. parking entrance and loading facilities will be on Federal street.
6. lobby = grand public space, in the tradition of the IBM bamboo garden in midtown Manhattan, and the winter garden at the World Financial Center in NY.

-Foster WTC proposal
-Axe building (the sausage), London

Recent technologies, materials, computer-assisted design allow previously impossible forms and shapes.

E. Environmental Impact

1. sustainability; the building will consider its impact in a much larger context than just the site itself.
2. will go well beyond LEED platinum standards; it will break new ground in green design.
3. it will minimize wind and shadows, especially on common and public garden.
4. observe FAA guidelines and protocols.
5. follow article 80 of the zoning code.

-Ibe Perking Road, HK
-Plaza 66, Shanghai

A well-designed tower will contribute to its urban context, adding activity at the base, and strengthening the skyline at the top.

Evaluation Criteria:

-extent to which the proposal reflects objective listed in RFP (duh).
-ability to work with BRA, public agencies, and community groups.
-ability to finance project.
-prior experience with projects of this size and in developing and marketing mixed-use projects of this complexity.
-ability to contribute equity to project.
-ability to pay dispensation price, determined by BRA, in a timely manner.
-development schedule, key milestones, and project completion.
-how the proposal shows an understanding of larger planning initiatives and competitive economic aspirations of the city.

"The BRA expressly reserves the right to reject any and all proposals."

So, before I left, I asked about how I might be able to get technical information about the site, and was told that I could go to the registry of deeds for that info. Do they make developers do this too? It seems like it would be easier if they included this info in the RFP.

There were a couple key dates listed, too:

-September 14: Respondents first site visit.
-September 22: Q&A in BRA board room for respondents.
-November 13: Proposals due.

The general impression I got from the document is that the city is VERY serious about having a modern tower that is completely different from anything else in Boston, which will set a precedent for modern architecture, and which will dispel Boston's reputation for being stodgy and conservative. They want this tower to be THE image that defines the Boston brand for the next few decades. Can you believe they cited the Fordham spire and the London Bridge Tower as possible inspirations?

As an aside, I was standing in Dewey Square a couple of days ago (that's going to be one HUGE public plaza when they're done bricking it over) and I realized that 115 Winthrop Square will really tower over this area. Even though its farther away, it will still appear taller than the Fed building. When this and the South Station tower are complete, it will be one visually impressive spot in which to eat ones lunch. These two, along with Russia Wharf and the Harbor Garage tower, will really help make the skyline way more distinctive when viewed from the harbor.

Some time next November or December, there's going to be a lot of activity on this board! Man, I can wait to see some renderings...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back