119 Braintree Street | Allston

I like the big building. I can live with the color scheme thing on the smaller building but what's with the absolutely dead street wall on Everett St?!

I like the big building. I can live with the color scheme thing on the smaller building but what's with the absolutely dead street wall on Everett St?!
I think there might be parking inside there... or at least the tiny plan on page 3 sort of hints at some spaces and designates it as "Parking/Back of House."

It feels weird that the lab building and residential building both have the same color strategy. I don't know if it is a placeholder, but those are different uses and building types. To my mind it would make more sense to tackle them in a way that is related but distinct.

IIMHO, more important than the color scheme, loving the extended two story long, lit canopied, windowed ground level of the taller building that will be a nice booster to the street life dynamic there. Bravo for that!

DPIR: https://bpda.app.box.com/s/e6tx3p5klc1grt8mw09xmna0py327ddt

1646938590267.png

1646938606916.png

1646938626463.png

1646938648790.png

1646938666927.png

1646938694634.png

Very awkward building. The yellow cladding and the glass facade only being on one side is a very weird choice. It clashes really bad. It cant be that hard to design something that is cheap and visually appealing at the same time, weve had thousands of years to perfect the process and ppl do it all the time. Hell just copy something that looks good if you cant figure it out, its a low rise next to a highway anyways.

It looks very similar to the fenway center building, just worse.
82352026-4617-4ADC-BA96-08FC0DDEC01B.jpeg

Unfortunate downgrade, though I do sort of like the quasi bay window effect in the first render. But overall, not as good.

Unfortunate downgrade, though I do sort of like the quasi bay window effect in the first render. But overall, not as good.

Upgrade on the smaller one, though. Honestly the big one looks pretty true to the initial concept.

Very awkward building. The yellow cladding and the glass facade only being on one side is a very weird choice. It clashes really bad. It cant be that hard to design something that is cheap and visually appealing at the same time, weve had thousands of years to perfect the process and ppl do it all the time. Hell just copy something that looks good if you cant figure it out, its a low rise next to a highway anyways.

It looks very similar to the fenway center building, just worse.
View attachment 22154

Bingo, Stick.

Move over Brutalism, make way for Wallism.

But this isn't transit oriented development--these buildings have huge amounts of parking. It's Transit Adjacent Development.

You can argue that Commuter Rail doesn't count as transit and the bus service here isn't great (haven't checked the MBTA updates, maybe that will become better).

What an incredible change in a few short years! This is exactly how you do transit oriented development around a new station.

Its not perfect by any means, and as I mentioned in earlier posts some of the massings are out of touch, but overall for a commuter rail station and not even a rapid transit stop this is a huge win as far as density located around public transit. Theres always going to be things that could be better, and we should always strive for that, but developments like this, riverside station..etc are definitely headed in the right direction as far as for how we should be building/updating our cities for the future.

I really want to like this development (and I want it to be called “Wallston Landing”) but I’m torn.
- street activation: great
- connection to Everett St. bridge: great
- tiny park: good
- residential component: good
- giant wall: don’t love it
- disjointed facades (colorful facing south/glass facing pike): odd
- colorful facade: don’t love it

i think maybe it’s good urbanism with not great design.

Back