128 Project

mass88

Reaction score
Does anyone in the know have any updates or news on the widening project on 128? Or any pictures, renderings or maps?

I've never understood why this project is necessary or desirable. Why not just keep the existing policy of taking over shoulders as travel lanes during rush hour, or extend the hours of that experiment?

I've never understood why this project is necessary or desirable. Why not just keep the existing policy of taking over shoulders as travel lanes during rush hour, or extend the hours of that experiment?

Because this was never a good idea to begin with. When you consider the horrendous lane-discipline of the average driver in this region, 128 is one of the most harrowing experiences you can have in an automobile.

But the existing policy doesn't cost much and doesn't cause any environmental disruption; it seems to have stood the test of time. It could and should have been extended to other highways such as Route 3 from Burlington to Lowell. I'd rather save the construction dollars for things we really need, like the Green Line extension.

But the existing policy doesn't cost much and doesn't cause any environmental disruption; it seems to have stood the test of time.

Cold comfort if a member of your family is injured or killed while changing a tire in the breakdown lane of 128. If you take the particular risky nuances out of the equation, 128 is still dangerous.

I'd rather save the construction dollars for things we really need, like the Green Line extension.

Mutually exclusive budgets. Ron, I'll never, ever argue the merits of spending an order of magnitude more on Public transportation in this region. That said, 128 and Route 3 should be re-engineered to be safe for the volume of traffic they carry.

^I agree. I typically disagree with lane widening, but his is one of a few areas that could use it badly. It's dangerous to drive, difficult to merge on and off and a free breakdown lane is an absolute MUST during rush hour.

Most people I know traveling from points south of the city to points north avoid 128 at all costs during rush hour (and even off-peak hours) opting instead for the much lengthier 495 or much more congested I-93. An additional lane would be able to carry the same volume of traffic, while allowing disabled vehicles to safely use the breakdown lane.

Let me echo the others. While the existing policy may have "stood the test of time" in a temporal sense, there have been some horrific crashes and there are terrifying near-misses almost daily. Because this is an interstate highway, and because the concept of "driving on the shoulder" is foreign to 95% of all Americans, innocent / unwitting out-of-towners stumble into dangerous situations every day. It's actually MORE dangerous during the "shoulder" (pardon the pun) periods on either end of the rush hour, when it's not completely obvious to Grandma from Indiana that someone may be barrelling down at 80 mph on her right as she prepares to exit.

I'm suspicious of highway expansions, and I'm agnostic on the subject of how many lanes there should be on each of the major arteries, but this was a stupid idea from day one.

While I am not a big fan of highway projects, let me suggest that Route 128 also needs new interchanges designed for current traffic levels.

In particular, I am thinking of the interchange with 93, but there are others.

Route 128 also needs new interchanges designed for current traffic levels.

Should we really dump our money into that, rather than into public transportation? The commuter rail system could surely use a facelift.

I've always noticed that the breakdown lane was frequently used as a high speed lane, not the slowest lane.

Should we really dump our money into that, rather than into public transportation? The commuter rail system could surely use a facelift.

I don't drive in the Boston area, so I can't really speak for 128, but if people are demanding an overhaul, they probably need it. Of course, the commuter rail needs not only an overhaul but massive expansion and new spending...really, both projects should be funded. I would eagerly pay higher taxes if I knew they were going to decent projects like commuter rail expansion or electrification.

Actually, how much would this project cost? Electrifying the commuter rail would cost 2 billion (according to the PMT), or $310.09 for every person in the state (worth it!).

In today's political climate, I think people would sooner give a kidney than pay an extra dime in taxes.

While I am not a big fan of highway projects, let me suggest that Route 128 also needs new interchanges designed for current traffic levels.

In particular, I am thinking of the interchange with 93, but there are others.

The current interchange of 95/93 is going to be completely redesigned as part of widening project. A lot of great things are going to come out of this aside from the extra lane. One, the breakdown lane will be returned to its normal function. Two, over a dozen bridges and crossing are either going to be rebuilt, or drastically improved. Three, the current half clover interchange for 95/93 is going to be redesigned. The entire project is supposed to be costing $441 million.

But why should we invest in automobile-related infrastructure at all anymore, beyond the minimum needed to prevent it from falling apart?

The current interchange of 95/93 is going to be completely redesigned as part of widening project.

Which 95/93 interchange are you talking about? There are two, one at the Blue Hills and the other in Woburn.

Re: Farmer's market at Dewey Sq.

I'd happily cut the Route 128 widening project ...

The one in Woburn.

There are many things to think about right now:

Traffic on 95/128 and 93 is increasing as more and more businesses are built along it. Unfortunately, there are few ways to get to these businesses than by car because mass transit is not available and not necessarily economically feasible due to the lack of density and connectivity of these areas. However, cities along 95/128 and 93 continue to push for more development as a way to increase tax revenue.

95/128 and 93 are not able to handle this additional traffic. They weren't designed for it. The state ends up footing the bill when they widen the roads because of these suburban cities' development decisions. The widened roads also then encourage more driving and more development, and within a few years will once again be over capacity. It's an endless cycle.

On the other hand, gas is expensive, and people are looking for alternatives to driving. Does it really make sense for the state to continue to encourage car-oriented development that will put further strain on our infrastructure? Wouldn't it make more sense to target development in areas already well served by many modes of transportation?

^I'm assuming the one at Blue Hills, but Both could use some work. the Route 24 exit is bad and could use some reworking as well.

Ron, I don't disagree with your sentiment, but this project isn't to improve or increase capacity and encourage more motorists, it's to increase safety. It's a dangerous road, and improvements are necessary in this particular situation. 95/128 is a suburban highway, it's a major thoroughfare for people heading everywhere from Canada, Maine, and New Hampshire all the way down to Miami.

If rush hour breakdown lane travel were allowed on 93 and they planned on widening to improve safety, my feelings would be different. I'd say just eliminate breakdown lane travel, and let the congestion build-- hopefully some of those people would consider alternate routes. But that's not the case for 128, it's a major roadway meant to be used by people traveling long distances as well as regular local commuters and the safety concerns warrant this project.

Who knows, if it's successful, it may even alleviate a little traffic from 93. I personally use 93, even in rush hour, to travel from south of Boston to the north simply because I can't stand driving on 128. I know lots of people who do the same. If it were easier and safer to use 128, maybe it'll take some cars out of the city and force them around it (just a though, nothing other than personal tastes of myself, friends, and family to back it up).

*edit* didn't realize they meant the interchange in Woburn, doesn't change the rest of my post though.

Which 95/93 interchange are you talking about? There are two, one at the Blue Hills and the other in Woburn.

The one in Canton. There are 2 interchanges that are going to be reconstructed, the 93/95 change up in Woburn and the change in Canton.

Back