1280-1330 Boylston Street, Brookline

OK, so if you're in favor of it, then what are we actually disagreeing about? The term "pedestrian-centric"? Fine, whatever. All I'm saying is that if you consider all the ways in which this specific Route 9 parcel could be redeveloped, the proposed one is a relative win for urbanists.

Nice adjustment now from "ped-centric" to "win for urbanists".

I have no idea where you got the idea I was AGAINST the proposal. You jumped to a conclusion just because I pointed out this was not a ped-centric proposal. FACT: It is a very car-centric proposal of an 845 parking space development, 12 minutes walk (and across a very busy straightaway of Route 9) from a T station. I know that stretch quite well. It doesn't cater to pedestrians at all. It is what it is. And it isn't what it isn't. That particular walk to the Chestnut Hill T won't be turning into the Greenway anytime soon - - the Longwood Cricket Club ain't looking to encourage farmers markets and civic balloon festivals. The members like the protection from walking humanoids that Route 9 provides. Those people are VERY well-connected.

I've seen traffic at many times of the day back up on Boylston east from the light at Hammond all the way to the Wegmans. Put another 845 parking spaces and buildings up to 18 stories there and you'll see that back up all the way to the former Tony's Italian Villa (whatever the hell it is now) stop light at Langley Road. It's not as bad as the backups on the ridiculously zoned Needham Street, but it would trend in that direction.

It would be a huge win if Brookline/Newton/The Commonwealth (or the actual developer) could help with infrastructure to make the area far more ped-centric. If the developer could affect anything in that direction, then, perhaps, we could call it "ped-centric".

Last edited:

Back