144 Fore Street | Portland

It definitely sounds as though their proposal will be underwhelming. Such a waste of waterfront(ish) property.
Could be, but don't underestimate Melissa Smith (WEX CEO). She was behind the vision to bring WEX to this area with its truly epic rooftop social area. She knows what new and current employees like at work, and that is to have fun at their jobs. This development company is a kind of front for WEX. I used to do a lot of work at Silcon Valley tech companies from 2004 to 2010, and that was when going to work started to be fun (no more cubicles) with 24/7 free food service, an indoor volleyball court, ping pong tables, and the craft beer kegs bar opening up on Friday's at 4pm (an incentive to show up on Friday). Smith knows. They might add a floor or two extra with something fun. Maybe another cool partner company too (a la Roux).

Last edited:
Could be, but don't underestimate Melissa Smith (WEX CEO). She was behind the vision to bring WEX to this area with its truly epic rooftop social area. She knows what new and current employees like at work, and that is to have fun at their jobs. This development company is a kind of front for WEX. I used to do a lot of work at Silcon Valley tech companies from 2004 to 2010, and that was when going to work started to be fun (no more cubicles) with 24/7 free food service, an indoor volleyball court, ping pong tables, and the craft beer kegs bar opening up on Friday's at 4pm (an incentive to show up on Friday). Smith knows. They might add a floor or two extra with something fun. Maybe another cool partner company too (a la Roux).

Respectfully, what year are you living in? Do you think a slide into a ball pit, or micro brews in a mini-fridge, will put the genie back into the bottle? I worked surrounded by that junk for years and as soon as I didn't have to show up anymore I, and everyone but the very junior and very bored, happily booked it. If RTO orders didn't work, a host of perks will have about the same effect, which is to say, little to no effect.

Portland should focus on how many people want to live on the Peninsula and develop in that vein.

...Do you think a slide into a ball pit, or micro brews in a mini-fridge, will put the genie back into the bottle?...

I've heard this trend of companies bending over backwards with goofy perks referred to as "adult daycare" and I think a lot of companies are realizing that the best (and cheapest) way to attract talent is to offer substantive benefits like a 4-day workweek or favorable hybrid / remote work options.

I do feel like the whole RFP / sale process for this parcel has been flawed. The city should be expecting the highest and best use for every parcel it sells (Especially if it's being sold below its appraised value) They should lay out requirements that any RFP should take full advantage of height and density allowances for the zone the parcel is in and that the proposal should support a mix of uses. The city definitely got the short end of the stick with this proposal.

Last edited:
Respectfully, what year are you living in? Do you think a slide into a ball pit, or micro brews in a mini-fridge, will put the genie back into the bottle? I worked surrounded by that junk for years and as soon as I didn't have to show up anymore I, and everyone but the very junior and very bored, happily booked it. If RTO orders didn't work, a host of perks will have about the same effect, which is to say, little to no effect.

Portland should focus on how many people want to live on the Peninsula and develop in that vein.
For reference to the reality of attractions needed (or assumed) for today's upper end of young tech workers to stick around, perhaps you could examine what is happening in Boston's Seaport District with its A-list high-tech companies (two new buildings for Amazon, over a dozen in big pharma if you include the Chinese satellite offices, robotics startups, etc., etc., etc.). Its top floor panoramic view futuristic indoor running tracks, stunning theatres (3) and nightclubs, grocery stores that operate by robots, etc., etc., etc. If you build it, they will come. They get bored at home. Everyone does. WEX is positioning for creating greater products and services and the talent will be needed. Portland is a suburb of Boston (according to the Hardshore Distilling bro who settled here from Brooklyn). It's connected. Otherwise, it's more condos with part-time residents for this area (Foreside with its 400 plus on the way). I'll put my money in a condo on Portland's waterfront any day.

Last edited:

Back