'15 Days' Project - A New Style of Construction?

Tim Jackson

Reaction score
I just found this article really interesting. I wasn't really sure where to put it because the emphasis isn't on the project, but rather the techniques the project managers are using. Essentially, a small, 10,000 square foot project in Post Office Square is underway. Generally, a project like this would take 10 to 12 weeks (according to the article), but crews are looking to get it done in 15 days. Basically, the article argues that it saves time and resources, making the construction progress more 'green.'

I was just wondering what you all thought and if you guys thought that this same philosophy (intricate planning in the pre-construction phase to significantly save time, money, and energy during the actual construction) could be applied to some of the larger projects going on.

The ?15 Days? project starts

Fourteen days is all that stands between workers and their goal of building out a 10,000 square foot office space in Post Office Square. While that alone may not seem extraordinary, it is when one considers that work didn?t start until yesterday.

The ?15 Days? project, a collaboration between Leggat McCall Properties and Commodore Builders, will shrink a typical 10 to 12 week project to just 15 working days in an effort to ?squeeze out the inefficiencies? normally associated with office construction.

While conforming to Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards, officials expect up to a 60 percent cut in energy consumption with no sacrifice in quality.

?We were just a little frustrated with the schedules it took to build a space like this,? said project manager Dave Conner.

Conner said the key to the process lies on the front end, as a longer planning and procurement process has enabled officials to create a rigid working schedule.

Electrical lines and flooring were being laid out yesterday beneath the gaze of several ?Day 1? posters. Most of those on site wore a ?15 Days? T-shirt and worked feverishly to reach the project?s first deadline.

?We?ve examined and planned every aspect of this project down to the day and the hour ... if we lose an hour somewhere or a minute somewhere it could be the difference between the success and failure of the project,? he said.

LINK

Here's my take on the matter. While I really like this concept, I just don't see it being able to hold up on the much larger projects. Take the Columbus Center or 45 Province for example. There are too many variables to be able to sit down and plan out day by day, hour by hour what you want/expect to happen. General construction issues, financing, and public input would make it far too difficult to work on the larger scale projects.

I assume this 15-day job is an interior refit, not putting up a new building?

Where exactly in PO Square is this? Is it part of one of the ground floor rehabs?

I assume this 15-day job is an interior refit, not putting up a new building?

Yep, this is basically completely gutting and rehabbing the interior. I believe that there is a very minimal amount of work being done to the exterior.

Did they put Ty Pennington in charge? I hear he is good at this sort of thing.

Back