165 Washington Ave | Northern Burner Supply Redevelopment | Portland

Cosakita18

Reaction score
Posting a new thread for some rumors circulating about a substantial residential project proposed for 165 Washington Ave. Could potentially be upwards of 250 units.

No plans, renderings or details yet. Word is that the developer is seeking a zoning change to make their proposal work.

1707907259629.png

250 on that size plot, maybe 6 floors?

Is this the new Redfern project, or different developer?

Since Jonathan let the cat out of the bag....can confirm. This is a potential project we have been working on. Renderings have been shared....look forward to the conversation on this one! ~ C
Where could we see the renderings, please?

OK I haven't found renderings but I did find this historic photo of what the existing building used to look like, when it was a car barn for the Portland & Yarmouth Electric Railway (the left bay appears to have been demolished but I wonder if the sign on the pediment is still there under the metal siding?)

The Portland & Yarmouth Electric used to run streetcar service every 15 minutes along what is now Route 88 from Portland through Falmouth Foreside to downtown Yarmouth:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_and_Yarmouth_Electric_Railway

2009_2_026_058.jpg

OK I haven't found renderings but I did find this historic photo of what the existing building used to look like, when it was a car barn for the Portland & Yarmouth Electric Railway (the left bay appears to have been demolished but I wonder if the sign on the pediment is still there under the metal siding?)

The Portland & Yarmouth Electric used to run streetcar service every 15 minutes along what is now Route 88 from Portland through Falmouth Foreside to downtown Yarmouth:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_and_Yarmouth_Electric_Railway

2009_2_026_058.jpg
Ok that is incredible on so many levels. First of all look at those doors! The brick detail! The arched windows! And public transit every 15 minutes from Portland to Yarmouth???? Who wouldn't love that type of transit these days? ~ C

I had seriously never noticed that the Northern Burner Supply building was the old car barn! The building has been altered so much it's hardly recognizable.

(Although given recent events with the PMA let's not get into a discussion about how alterations impact historic buildings :p)
1710674852082.png
1710674867613.png

Ok that is incredible on so many levels. First of all look at those doors! The brick detail! The arched windows! And public transit every 15 minutes from Portland to Yarmouth???? Who wouldn't love that type of transit these days? ~ C
I think your first order of business is to take off that siding and see if the sign is intact underneath! Maybe cut it out and save it for a feature in the new building.

I wonder how much NIMBY opposition Redfern will get from residents of Munjoy Heights, which Redfern built? If they still control that somehow, they should shut the water off for anyone that complains about this project. 😂

Not sure why the actual renderings have not been posted yet but I can tell you it's two separate buildings in the 7-8 story range with one a little taller than the other and each having a totally different facade. I liked the overall concept and wished the project was being proposed for downtown instead of Washington Avenue due to its more urban looking design. Keep in mind I had about 30 seconds to look at the renderings because Jonathan was very busy and my visual memory is not what it once was!

Last edited:
Perhaps it will need to be graduated in height. I can't see them wanting to block the sunset views of their other development behind.

Not sure why the actual renderings have not been posted yet but I can tell you it's two separate buildings in the 7-8 story range with one a little taller than the other and each having a totally different facade. I liked the overall concept and wished the project was being proposed for downtown instead of Washington Avenue due to its more urban looking design. Keep in mind I had about 30 seconds to look at the renderings because Jonathan was very busy and my visual memory is not what it once was!
Well the recent MaineBiz article did say that Redfern was "in the early planning stages for 1,000 new apartment units on the Portland peninsula" We've got +/-340 here so that leaves another +/-660 unaccounted for....More than enough for a big downtown project or two ;)

Last edited:

Back