165 Washington Ave | Northern Burner Supply Redevelopment | Portland

7 Stories gets us something on the size/scale of Hiawatha on Congress.

Reactions: GIL
7 Stories gets us something on the size/scale of Hiawatha on Congress.
The undulating facade of this big project in a low-rise neighborhood, combined with the materials, made me wonder again what might be in store for 165 Washington. :cool:

1711545204677.png

A New Building Aims to Be a Good Neighbor in Low-Rise Neighborhood

I saw them and Jonathan told me they were planning to release them last week. Not sure what the delay is though he did mention there were some height issues that would need to be resolved.

That is similar to what I briefly saw only the building to the right was more of a red brick tone and I think the white building was 8 floors. I don't remember the center connector and both buildings were much wider along Washington Avenue. Maybe this is a new revision or it's quite possible my memory is failing me!

Last edited:
I cant wait for the uproar from the Munjoy Hill Association.. too big, too much traffic, its going to over run our schools, etc. And from the property Redfern built behind it.... a lawsuit

Looks great. Is that small building all the way over to the right apart of it too? That’s not currently there.
Another possibly too early question is where will all the parking be? What an entrance to Washington Ave this will be with the park, new condos on the right and then this on the left! This is a real opportunity to make this part of Munjoy Hill filled with life again!

7 stories appears to be the acceptable size of a building before the NIMBY's and nose bags start to pontificate their concerns on a building being "too tall".

Do we have any way to visualize what this might look from 295?

I can try to do my traditional blobs in Google Earth tomorrow - I was also wondering what the height looks like from the East End School and the community gardens. If they block the view of the skyline that may also be fodder for push back.

I was able to find one rendering...not sure of this is the most current iteration of the project.

View attachment 49276
Exciting to see the concept and massing proposed! I hope that, as it evolves, the facades get more texture and some variation in pattern.

In this image, the left side (facing the park) looks most satisfying: The windows appear more closely spaced, their rhythm broken up to align with the substantial arcade columns; their depth on that side make that side of the building more substantial (again); and the window-to-wall coverage ratio is more resolved, so the impression there is higher-quality.

The street-facing side of that same white building looks shallow; and the equally spaced, relatively flat windows are less wide than the wall area between, so the impression is flat, not as high-quality. I'm sure this will evolve — and given the views over the City and the Cove from this site, it seems likely that more emphasis on the windows / Juliette balconies (which I think we see also on that left-facing side) will make their way to the front. I also wonder if we'll eventually see a hint of railings on the roofs, where I'd think there'd be either a shared amenity space or private rooftop terraces for residents. @Redfern, thank you for sharing!

Unless I'm way off (which is entirely possible... likely even...) it seems like they may not be using the entire lot. Or what I assume is the entire lot:

oiugtwerougasdf.jpg

I can't figure out how to get Google Earth to go any lower, but it seems like it could obscure the skyline from the garden:

ljuahgsdlfjgasdfjghasdf.jpg

From the neighbors:

oaiujsughflkjgalsdf.jpg

Back