165 Washington Ave | Northern Burner Supply Redevelopment | Portland

iuyqgwferjgfhasdf.jpg

ouyagdsofjkgasdf.jpg

ouyagw4eorutigsdfk.jpg

uyagsdlfjkgasdf.jpg

ouygqwt4eiorugasdf.jpg

Unless I'm way off (which is entirely possible... likely even...) it seems like they may not be using the entire lot. Or what I assume is the entire lot:

View attachment 49339
Nice work! Looking back to compare this against the initial rendering, it does appear that the new building will run from end-to-end of the site along Washington Ave, and there’s a four-story section at the southern end of the lot (likely to allow a view-shed to the related Redfern townhouses just uphill). It also seems likely that the construction will dig into the hillside as far back as the property line to accommodate a parking structure along the back, off the street and out of sight (3–5 levels of parking?) tho one wouldn’t see that your massing models. Again, I love to look at these, thank you for sharing!

This was kind of cool to see: a couple days ago, the "Mount Joy Orchard" instagram page posted a hair-on-fire NIMBY screed against this project because it would "threaten the health of Mount Joy Community Orchard" and alleged that "such a tall building in such close proximity would cast the orchard in shadow for most of the day, which would significantly threaten the health of the trees. Many would not survive."

The post also included a new rendering FWIW:

But then today, they posted this:

Update: we got more and better data and are changing our position on the development of the Northern Burner Supply lot.

We received a ton of feedback and commentary in response to our recent communications about Redfern Properties’ plans to develop the Northern Burner Supply lot adjacent to Mount Joy Community Orchard. Thank you to the many people that engaged sincerely with this topic and especially to those that provided us with the information and data that has caused us to reconsider our position on the development.

The most pertinent piece of data was shared by a Mount Joy volunteer, who turned us onto this extremely helpful tool for calculating shadow casts: https://www.suncalc.org/#/43.6697,-70.2543,19/2024.05.15/12:13/1/1.

If you are curious, we recommend that you spend some time figuring out how to use this great tool, though we have provided some screenshots to give you a sense of what we found. Suffice to say, we now have a much more detailed understanding of the shadow conditions. We feel confident that the trees in the orchard will not be threatened by the shadow cast by the housing development at the proposed height of seven stories. While the shadow of the building will certainly affect the orchard, the shadow during the growing season is pretty minimal. In the shoulder seasons the orchard will be significantly shaded and the orchard will be almost entirely shaded in mid-winter. Activity and use during these times is much lower and the trees will not be harmed by shade during their dormant period.​

I saw this original post the other day. In addition to the shadows, they were throwing out all the standard nimby issues - out of scale with the neighborhood, where will they park, traffic armageddon etc... Lots of bold red lettering. The overall tone made me skeptical that the shadows would actually be that bad. Nice to see they changed their stance when provided with new information.

This was kind of cool to see: a couple days ago, the "Mount Joy Orchard" instagram page posted a hair-on-fire NIMBY screed against this project because it would "threaten the health of Mount Joy Community Orchard" and alleged that "such a tall building in such close proximity would cast the orchard in shadow for most of the day, which would significantly threaten the health of the trees. Many would not survive."

I was wondering what the angle was going to be... did not have orchard on my bingo board...

More importantly (kidding not kidding): is that an official Redfern rendering of that angle of the proposed development? Looking good from that angle. :cool:

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 5.46.12 PM.png

A few images are below. We are working with Holst Architects from Portland, OR.
So helpful to see some of their finished projects – especially their "Hawkins" building in Oregon, which appears to be an inspiration – to get a better sense of potential quality, materiality and finish. Thank you for sharing!

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 9.32.47 AM.png

A few images are below. We are working with Holst Architects from Portland, OR.
Nice, but can we do away with the use of gray on this project? Gray structures are already becoming dated looking as it is so overused and rarely attractive to begin with.

Nice, but can we do away with the use of gray on this project? Gray structures are already becoming dated looking as it is so overused and rarely attractive to begin with.
Sort of parallel to the use of red brick in the 19th century.

We have only ever worked with local architects. But on this one, we are looking for new ideas and new perspectives, that might bring something different to the built environment.
Interesting. The winning arch firm for the PMA addition is from Portland, OR too. I do know that firms there are more up to speed on the Passivhaus idea, like Kaplan Thompson. Are you planning that type of envelope? It's a big Green feel-good, of course.

Interesting. The winning arch firm for the PMA addition is from Portland, OR too. I do know that firms there are more up to speed on the Passivhaus idea, like Kaplan Thompson. Are you planning that type of envelope? It's a big Green feel-good, of course.
A local firm, SMRT, just completed the second largest university PassiveHaus project in the country at USM. We have a lot of great talent in Portland. Let's keep the money local and support our own!

A local firm, SMRT, just completed the second largest university PassiveHaus project in the country at USM. We have a lot of great talent in Portland. Let's keep the money local and support our own!
Did they design it or were they just the Architect of Record? I would assume a similar situation would happen with Holst unless they're licensed in Maine.

Back