17 Farnsworth | Seaport

Prettier than a parking garage - this is the type of urbanism should be building in the Seaport...

Yeah, it's a non-corner lot in a fairly narrow street that often feels more like an alley than a street. A plain, clean design works here. Probably better this than something overly designed and imposing.

I wonder if them just painting the panels red instead of black would have looked a lil better. That is of course if they cant just use precast brick panels, that would have prob been ideal imo. Anyways, def better than a parking garage.

My only thought is that is should be a floor taller but the straight on view where I feel that way won't really be seen from the ground (narrow street) so, OK. Agree, better than a parking garage.

I like it actually, looks like something I would see in Hoxton or Shoreditch. It is nothing special, but this is better than the Whoop building.

The street level is horrendous. The city has to step in and mandate space for ground floor retail. Done right, Farnsworth can and should be a wonderful little woonerf - a quiet, shady respite from the more hectic Seaport Blvd.

Prettier than a parking garage - this is the type of urbanism should be building in the Seaport...

There is a DIFFERENCE between usage and aesthetics.

Just because it isn't a parking garage doesn't mean it has to automatically look forboding and uninviting to humanoids. The greatness of Boston, vs a city like Houston, is the great spaces in the nooks and crannies of alleyways and unexpected areas. This particular render is a depressing development. It says "Go away".

There is a DIFFERENCE between usage and aesthetics.

Just because it isn't a parking garage doesn't mean it has to automatically look forboding and uninviting to humanoids...

Design Fixation - the effect is real. Even the best designers have a hard time un-seeing certain influences that steer them toward particular design formulations.

Last edited:
This is now approved. Last updated October 4 and it seems all lobby retail is gone but trees are added/retained on the street. Otherwise pretty similar.

Not the biggest fan but removing 300+ parking spots should really calm Farnsworth traffic. It would be the ideal street to make car-free and aggressively pedestrianize, but there’s still parking further down and Trillium does their deliveries down there too

Back