170 Fore Street | Portland

Max

Reaction score
7-story office building with ground floor retail proposed as the final piece in the development of a block that includes A/C Hotel, 20 Thames condos, 7 India Street condos and the existing Grand Trunk building.

Developers said during a March 10, 2020 planning board hearing on 7 India Street that they hope to break ground on 170 Fore Street "this year" and have the entire site development complete by the end of 2021.

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 9.27.47 AM.png

I have to give the developer (EssexNorth) credit for following through with this eastern waterfront "superblock". When it was initially introduced several years ago, I was a little skeptical on whether it would be fully developed as advertised. But it appears that the final two buildings are moving forward and this project has totally transformed (along with WEX) this portion of downtown Portland. Hopefully this will now inspire the owner of the wooden building on the corner of Thames and India Streets to finally renovate that vacant eyesore.

I have to give the developer (EssexNorth) credit for following through with this eastern waterfront "superblock". When it was initially introduced several years ago, I was a little skeptical on whether it would be fully developed as advertised. But it appears that the final two buildings are moving forward and this project has totally transformed (along with WEX) this portion of downtown Portland. Hopefully this will now inspire the owner of the wooden building on the corner of Thames and India Streets to finally renovate that vacant eyesore.

To me the biggest eyesore in that area is the PWD pumping station. I really wish something could be done to cover it up or remove it.

The original plans several years ago had the pumping station turn into an informational center incorporating a clock. The pumping station, when built, was supposed to pay homage to the old grand trunk station. Nothing in design looks like the station..
1584123865189.png

The original plans several years ago had the pumping station turn into an informational center incorporating a clock. The pumping station, when built, was supposed to pay homage to the old grand trunk station. Nothing in design looks like the station..
View attachment 4226
What a great idea that would be! I'd never heard about this

I could easily see some kind of retail / commercial "wrap" around the pump itself to conceal it and activate that corner.

Reactions: GIL
I really appreciate what Archetype has planned here for 170 Fore Street – this could be the best-looking building of the block. One of the best aspects of the immediate area is the buildings are following form-based code, which set up a unified, human scaled streetscape — and the design here really took advantage of being a super-block development by activating the space *between* the buildings to create the feeling of 'outdoor rooms.' I'd really like to see this model carried over into Bayside, and Forest Avenue from 295 to Woodford's Corner.

I sat in on a MEREDA webinar this morning and the developer of this site said that this building will be residential rather than office. He sounded confident that the development would begin in the not too distant future.

Not surprised and I think it's a smart move due to the uncertainty of the continued demand for traditional office space. Residential is perfect for that part of downtown and will help the neighboring retail and restaurant establishments.

Walked by here earlier today and they've completely emptied and flattened this site. I hope they're not planning to use it as parking for 5 India (or for any other address). Even if it's "temporary" parking, those things have a tendency to linger as such. I would love to see this last parcel get developed quickly and not linger empty or as parking.

Walked by here earlier today and they've completely emptied and flattened this site. I hope they're not planning to use it as parking for 5 India (or for any other address). Even if it's "temporary" parking, those things have a tendency to linger as such. I would love to see this last parcel get developed quickly and not linger empty or as parking.
Let's hope it's just for the winter if they know it'll be delayed and pick back up in the spring/summer/fall?

Unfortunately it looks like they are in fact using this site for parking. It's a muddy mess but United Parking Partners has got their whole rig set up, so one would guess they're going to use it as parking at least for the summer. Hopefully it's temporary.

This site is key because of its central location in Portland's new tech district. In Boston's new tech district, The Seaport, city planners required this spec office project (see link below) to act as a kind of hub for the area. It's a building that will allow and enhance gathering and connecting from outside the building too. Why not allow this Portland project to build a few stories higher so that the first level (3-4 story lobby) can act as a social connect? Portland's problem, and it is a problem, is that the city doesn't see the bigger picture, or the way it should see it for today's times. In key parts of the city, stop allowing buildings with walls that keep the nearby and similar pulse out, and instead, think of ways to include what's around. Where is the future planning for Portland? Architecture is about the human experience, and that experience is nearly all inside.
10 World Trade features an unmatched variety of amenities for both tenants and members of the surrounding community. The entire campus will be appointed with indoor and outdoor programming activations from a range of engaging home-grown artists, entrepreneurs and more.
https://www.10worldtrade.com/
:(

Last edited:

Back