225 Shrewsbury Street | Worcester

ctsketch

Reaction score
someone looking to add a 7 story apartment complex to the plaza containing DCU and In-House Coffee

Screenshot 2022-09-03 164929.png

Wow.

The only critiques I have is that it would be nice to have some additional floors to help with the housing crunch, but I'm not complaining. This is perfect in-fill at the perfect spot. The only other thing I think I'd prefer to see is the parking lot they're planning to build next to the tracks become a parking garage instead so we could reduce the parking lots on Shrewsbury Street itself (and help to isolate the noise from the CSX yard from the area), but perfect is the enemy of the good - and this thing is damn close to perfect.

someone looking to add a 7 story apartment complex to the plaza containing DCU and In-House Coffee

Note: this is proposal is actually quite far from the DCU--exactly a mile walk from 225 Shrewsbury, under the dreaded/despised 290 overpass, then up Foster St. to the arena. So we're talking "Downtown adjacent" not "Downtown proper" (which is not to disparage the Shrewsbury St. corridor, which is great and will be even greater when this gets built!)

Unless "DCU" has a connotation in Worcester other than the arena?

Note: this is proposal is actually quite far from the DCU--exactly a mile walk from 225 Shrewsbury, under the dreaded/despised 290 overpass, then up Foster St. to the arena. So we're talking "Downtown adjacent" not "Downtown proper" (which is not to disparage the Shrewsbury St. corridor, which is great and will be even greater when this gets built!)

Unless "DCU" has a connotation in Worcester other than the arena?

it's called DCU Center because the DCU sponsored it. DCU is a bank/credit union and has a branch on the same parcel as this developement

it's called DCU Center because the DCU sponsored it. DCU is a bank/credit union and has a branch on the same parcel as this developement

Ah! Thanks--I knew DCU was a credit union but had never spotted any branches around town (admittedly, I've done very little exploring of Wormtown).

DCU's official name is Digital Federal Credit Union. It was formed in 1979 by and for the employees of former local tech giant Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC). The company was once one of the state's largest employers with its HQ at the old mill in Maynard and many office facilities along the Route 495 belt. While DEC is long gone, the credit union survives as the largest credit union headquartered in New England per assets. It is today based in Marlboro and operates 19 branches in MA and 4 in NH.

Last edited:
That area is an light services industrial wasteland, hopefully this spurs more redevelopment.

There have been talks of DPW moving out of there and building a new facility in order to aid in that redevelopment but it's been a couple years since I heard anything in that regard.

Back