30 North Margin Street - North End

caravaggiste

Reaction score
New, 5-story, 61-apartment building proposed for Cooper Street parking lot
243 parking spaces in 4-level underground garage also proposed

A new 5-story, 61-unit apartment building has just been proposed for the Cooper Street parking lot. The height of the building will be 55-feet, the legal height limit. The plans include 4-levels of underground parking for 243 cars.

North Margin Street Development, LLC, filed a Small Project Review Application (SPRA) for the development of 30 North Margin Street with the BRA about two weeks ago.

The news 30 North Margin Street project is currently the Pinstripe parking lot. It holds 67 cars. The entry is on Cooper Street, next to the J&B variety store. The lot is about 13,950 square feet. Prior to the parking lot, St. Mary's Parochial School was there. The school was razed in the mid-1970s. The parking lot site is bounded by North Margin Street, Stillman Street, and Cooper Street. The fourth side of the lot abuts the rear of houses whose front doors are on Endicott Street.

"The project will create much needed housing within the City and the North End neighborhood" said Steven C. Fustolo in a letter to John Palmierei, BRA director dated January 10. Fustolo signed the letter as manager of the project, and is the contact person for the developer. Fustolo is president of Property Trust Corporation and listed in the SPRA as "the principal of North Margin Street, LLC, the joint-venture investor and party responsible for developing the 30 North Margin Street site."

The plans include 61 residential units which 25 are to be two bedroom units averaging about 900 square feet, 15 are to be one-bedroom units averaging about 700 square feet, and 21 will be studio units averaging about 500 square feet. All units will be accessible. Nine units, or about 15 per cent are to be affordable. The proposal also includes a number of balconies and roof decks.

The project will have 4-levels of underground parking for 243 cars. They are proposing a fully automated parking structure. Automated parking structures are used throughout Europe and a similar system has been proposed for the Lovejoy Wharf development project on North Washington Street.

"Due to their high level of spatial and mechanical efficiency, an automated parking system is environmentally green due to its almost non-existent CO2 removal requirements, since the vehicles engines are not engaged," said Fustolo. The parking consists of 121 commercial spaces, including the existing 67 commercial spaces, and 122 spaces for the residential units. The proposal states that there will be some space allotted for zip cars.

"Architecturally, this project will fill in the vacant land/commercial parking lot in the impressive streetscape of buildings making up this distinctive part of the North End" The project's architect is Anthony M. Pisani. Pisani sits on the Boston Board of Appeal. According to the developer, the project conforms to the zoning requirments for the front, side, and rear setbacks. The zoning laws set a Floor Ratio Area of 3.0; the project as proposed has a FAR of 3.6. The project is subject to the City's Small Review Process under Article 80. Small project review requires design review by the BRA's architects. The BRA has appointed Kristin Kara as the project manager according to BRA spokesperson Jessica Schumaker.

BRA time deadlines vary from 45 to 60 days depending on various factors, according to A Citizens Guide to Development Review under Article 80 of the Boston Zoning Code, a booklet published by the BRA.

The project is also subject to the State's revised Chapter 91 regulations as the site is on filled tidelands. Fustolo said "in order to adhere to the projects construction schedule, we are hopeful that the Article 80 Small Project Design Review can be successfully completed within the next 55 days. " We will be discussing the project with the BRA, abutters, neighbors, neighborhood groups, and other interested parties in the next several weeks."

"We have certain concerns about the development at that site," said Dave Kubiak, chair of the Zoning, Licensing, and Construction Committee of the North End/Waterfront Residents Association. Issues Kubiak enumerated included ground water, parking and traffic, possible ground floor commercial or retail uses, the building configuration, and open space, among other concerns. The project is on the North End/Waterfront NEWNC agenda for their February 11 meeting.

Over the past decade, Fustolo has been an active developer throughout the Boston area, including participating in the construction and restoration of properties throughout the North End, Back Bay, the South End, Cambridge, according to the SPRA. Fustolo an accountant from Winchester, is also the principal in the Ocean Club development in Revere -- a 242-unit project on Ocean Drive.

Fustolo has been a principal architect in several North End projects over the last several years, including 23 Margaret Street, 115 Salem Street, 135-137 Salem Street where the Different Drummer has been located, and 11 Sheafe Street.

Picture3copy.jpg

I cant find a rendering anywhere so if anyone has any luck, please post. The rendering in the North End News shows a pretty bland, uninspiring building.

61 units in this location should not need more than 61 parking spaces.

^ Well, of course, they shouldn't need any at all. But traffic in the North End's depths isn't so bad, and this would be a boon to the nabe and might make on-street parking marginally easier. Parking tucked away --especially with an efficient automated system like this-- is not such a bad thing, imo.

I'm not against the commercial parking spaces. I just don't see the need for twice as many residential parking spaces as there are units.

Affluent yuppie scum.

It's the 'affluent yuppie scum' that pays for the 40% of Bostonians who live in projetcs or receive Setcion 8. They also pay for the food stamps, english as a second language, health centers on every corner, etc etc.

I'm not against the commercial parking spaces. I just don't see the need for twice as many residential parking spaces as there are units.

Why? it's going to be underground. It will have zero impact on the site and will produce limited traffic.

It's the 'affluent yuppie scum' that pays for the 40% of Bostonians who live in projetcs or receive Setcion 8. They also pay for the food stamps, english as a second language, health centers on every corner, etc etc.
That's right --but if this is a serious response to my comment you could sharpen your skills at perceiving irony, BostonObserver. ;)

Sure, it's underground and invisible, but it's also unnecessary. Wouldn't this cost less to build (and therefore, less to buy) if it didn't have all those extra residential parking spaces, most of which will be unused?

If built maybe they will reconfigure the allotment of spaces for visitors and other perm. residents from the area. There is Brinks right on Commercial & Prince which is very rarely at capacity - unless there is a venue at the Garden - then again I'm not even sure if that happens often. If there is one thing that is scarce in the area it is parking. I'm not downplaying the need for parking in other parts of the city either but because of the North Ends narrow, dense neighborhood parking spaces are like oil to George Wubbya. Maybe they should just dig under for the garage but instead connect the underground portion to a subway line and run it down Hanover :p I don't see it as completely unnecessary however, for the future probably holds somewhat of a residential population increase for the area so accommodating for these future residents might not be a bad idea! (parking that is, not a subway.)

Sure, it's underground and invisible, but it's also unnecessary. Wouldn't this cost less to build (and therefore, less to buy) if it didn't have all those extra residential parking spaces, most of which will be unused?

Im sure residents will have the option to sell or rent the space.

Of interesting note...the most recent owner of this property recently served time in prison on a murder charge. Rumor has it that he strongarmed his way into an ownership stake about twenty five years ago. In fact I took a look at this property a couple years back before it was officially on the market and was threatened with bodily harm for snapping photos of the parcel (and some folks who didn't take kindly to being photographed). I have no idea whether the property has been sold to another entity or whether this project is managed by "friends of ours".

I'm curious how this came to be a parking lot, and how long ago that happened.

what d o you mean by that?
Well, everybody's always complaining about the shortage of parking spaces. And those complaints are as loud in the North End as anywhere. You'd think folks would take fuller advantage of this place.

Actually, maybe it should be redeveloped. Ugly ol' thing.

Everyone is probably scared of its reputation of being a 'hold up' joint over the last decade. Not to mention the famous mob hold up. I still can't imagine having lived here even 20 years ago. I hear my street was a hot bed of gun shots - not to mention the old mob HQ is right down the street....but anyway. I agree, I think the Brinks Garage should be redeveloped but probably won't because of its history.. I think one of the major problems is the cost. My dad comes to visit and spends 55$ for 2 days. (the crime reputation btw was more of a joke but i guess it has happened quite a bit. I'm sure in the next decade once the socioeconomic majority changes, there will proposals to redevelop the site.

That garage has interesting topography. I think each level has its own entrance off the street, because of the way it is built into the hill.

Back