31 Stories of Oops - Ocean Tower, South Padre TX

albertmw

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IQUoZmtyOo

From the Houston Chronicle:

SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, Texas ? Demolition crews have imploded an unfinished, leaning 31-story South Padre Island condominium tower.

The Valley Morning Star of Harlingen reports that at least 1,500 spectators on land and on dozens of boats watched as the Ocean Tower took just 12 seconds to collapse on itself.

Officials say cleaning up the rubble should be done by April.

The Ocean Tower was to be a 151-unit luxury project slated for a spa and other amenities. Construction began in 2006 but stopped last summer when it became obvious the tower was sinking faster than attached parking garages, causing cracks in beams and columns.

Developer Ocean Tower LP hired Controlled Demolition Inc. of Baltimore to perform the demolition.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6768286.html

Last edited:
Damn, I'd be pissed that they let it get that far into construction before realizing there was a problem. Other than that, though, it was pretty freaking awesome. It twisted!

"They built the damn thang on sand! What they thinkin', look aroun' that's what this is, sand!"

"I guess it'd be alright on the upside, but if you on the downside you slide right on out!"

I thought that guy was exaggerating his voice at first. Then I realized he wasn't/

I hope they re-staffed the City Engineer's office and Building and Safety Dept, or whoever. What a precious commentary. He should testify.
I wish everyone who was pissed about development was so entertaining/correct. Do you suppose this is what that South End Columbus Center fellow sounds like when he goes down the turnpike?

I hope they re-staffed the City Engineer's office and Building and Safety Dept, or whoever. What a precious commentary. He should testify.
I wish everyone who was pissed about development was so entertaining/correct. Do you suppose this is what that South End Columbus Center fellow sounds like when he goes down the turnpike?

Who, Ned? No, not quite that entertaining. Saddening is more like it. Check today's post on the Fenway Center thread to see what I'm talking about.

Back