385 Congress St (Press Herald site) | Portland

cneal

Reaction score
Very interesting! Although I'll note that these plans are all dated from May 2020, before the "green new deal" ordinances passed, so maybe take them with a grain of salt.

However, it looks like the application is still active and the developers very recently paid a $1,000 to launch planning board review:
https://selfservice.portlandmaine.g.../invoice/35141f3a-b346-4f28-83ea-5218f9f1da3f

Hopefully they'll value engineer out some of the parking garage spaces. 494 cars for 212 apartments, a hotel and a nursing home is too much, especially given how almost every METRO bus runs right next to this site.

Cosakita18

Reaction score
Very interesting! Although I'll note that these plans are all dated from May 2020, before the "green new deal" ordinances passed, so maybe take them with a grain of salt.

However, it looks like the application is still active and the developers very recently paid a $1,000 to launch planning board review:
https://selfservice.portlandmaine.g.../invoice/35141f3a-b346-4f28-83ea-5218f9f1da3f

Hopefully they'll value engineer out some of the parking garage spaces. 494 cars for 212 apartments, a hotel and a nursing home is too much, especially given how almost every METRO bus runs right next to this site.
I wonder if this project will be "grandfathered in" because the planning process for this project technically started before the GND was passed.

PWMFlyer

Reaction score
Has anyone seen anything on the old Lincoln Sq property (aka Top of The Old Port parking lot) ? with development next door happening, this would be the last big open tract to developed...

Max

Reaction score
I wonder if this project will be "grandfathered in" because the planning process for this project technically started before the GND was passed.
I believe this is the case, and is probably why a number of site plans were submitted in late Nov / early Dec. Even if the applications weren't fully formed, they were submitted before the referendums took effect.

TC_zoid

Reaction score

Agreed. It's always the old timers screaming about having enough parking. Tenants in their 20s and 30s don't care as much about cars today. They'd rather take an Uber so they can use their phone. I'd be surprised if this development gets built as it's quite dense and tall.

Cosakita18

Reaction score
Seems like the office component of this project has been scrapped. Disappointing but not surprising given current economic trends.

Agree with Christian that the parking element seems excessive, and the design is overall a bit generic. But overall this project definitely takes full advantage of allowable heights, and this is a good transit-adjacent location for large-scale residential.

PWMFlyer

Reaction score
Remember that Merrill Auditorium is next door which requires parking during events. That street corridor will be greatly improved. 1900 seats in the auditorium, many get dropped off. Some park in the Top of the old port, others park next door during events.

Dr. StrangeHat

Reaction score
and the design is overall a bit generic.
I'm actually not that down on the design. Sure, it's generic compared to Boston, but as was discussed in the Federal Street tower thread, the economics of building in Portland, especially with limited allowable heights, inherently limits the ability to get lavish or elaborate with design. I do really like the density and scale here.

Cosakita18

Reaction score
Agreed that "Generic" isn't necessarily a bad thing. I like the overall massing and design and this project definitely maximizes the potential of the site. This project really reminds me of a lot of new developments in Madison, Wisconsin.

cneal

Reaction score
Not sure what this means, but it looks like the city pulled those documents down from the CSS site:

@Max, any chance you saved those PDFs for posterity?

Max

Reaction score

Attachments

Max

Reaction score
During the Planning Board hearing on 387 Commercial Street last night, developer Joe Dasco, in reference to a question about why they're paying the fee-in-lieu rather than build workforce units, mentioned that their development partner at 385 Congress recently pulled out of the project because of the requirements of the recent "green new deal" referendum. He basically said they've gone back to the drawing board on the site but are planning to come back with some kind of development.

Cosakita18

Reaction score
Disappointing but not surprising.

I do think the Original master plan wouldn’t have survived the planning process Without modification and downscaling . I could easily see the planning board and historic preservation board raising concerns about “overshadowing “ city hall.