40 Free Street | Portland

Saw that the developers have created a website to market these rentals. A few renderings and photos I haven't seen before. The penthouse decks facing Free Street will be pretty sweet in the summer. So will the ones facing Spring Street, until JB Brown develops the southern portion of the parking lot as they've indicated they plan to do with 9-10 story buildings at some point in the future.

IMG_1585.jpg

I sure hope that they can get rid of the Civic Center someday. It belongs somewhere off I-295 and preferably near more public transportation (train station).

I sure hope that they can get rid of the Civic Center someday. It belongs somewhere off I-295 and preferably near more public transportation (train station).

You may get your wish sooner rather than later. The "Cross Insurance Center" has been bleeding red ink every year since its big renovation a few years back.

And that doesn't even count all of the property tax revenue that the City of Portland loses from it (it pays no property taxes, even though it sits on >2 acres of some the city's most valuable land).

This design looks cool with the black. I wouldn't mind a 6th floor balcony unit (facing the harbor) with El Rayo and its deck action down below. Both will be a cool hang on warm summer nights.

All told, this is one of my favorite recent in-fill developments in town. It really works well with the street and the area, and the design has enough old and new to keep it interesting yet still blend well with the neighborhood.

I love that the building blocks the view of the Monument Square parking garage.

Unless you live in this building on the Free Street site – in which case you're getting headlights in your windows (and don't even think about opening them or else you'll get carbon monoxide poisoning).

I think it's a sharp looking building that fits the space perfectly. There's a lot of retail space available here, if they could fill it all you'd almost have a new commercial district there on Free Street. But it seems like there's a lot of retail space going unfilled at the moment (Hobson's Landing, 25 High Street, etc..).

This project has really grown on me the more see it day to day. It really blends with the rest of the street better than I expected it to. I hope those retail spaces get filled soon.

Back