401 Park Drive (née Landmark Center) | Fenway

Yeah, I am generally a Carlock fan too, but this hyper abbreviated take leaves more questions than answers. If I had to venture a guess, I think you are onto something with this having to do with an ownership transfer from Samuels to Alexandria. Completely guessing, but I wonder if the end game is Alexandria owning and managing the lab facility (i.e., what Children's wants since Alexandria's a seasoned lab operator), but timing wasn't right for them to cough up $155M, so Children's agreed to act as a pass-through to buy them some time. Maybe Children's is getting some long term benefit for doing so. Also wondering if there's some financial benefit for the transaction to pass through a non profit? Not sure.

Those are all good guesses. It could simply be that the hospital is cash-rich and Alexandria didn't think they could get financing on good terms. Note she didn't say that the hospital would sell it immediately.

New render out with the article about it being sold to boston childrens.
Alexandria_Center_for_Life_Science__Fenway_mega_campus.jpg

Since the news has already been posted I wont quote the article and will just leave the link.

https://commercialobserver.com/2023/06/life-sciences-alexandria-lab-sale-boston-childrens-hospital/

It looks like Toast is paying about $15.7 million to buy out of a commitment to 111,294 SF on the 8th floor for 6.5 years plus 22,495 SF on the 5th floor for 5 years. That works out to a $/sf buyout rate of $18.73 per year. There are also provisions in the agreement that if the landlord lands a new tenant for the space during the time Toast would have occupied it, then Toast gets a portion of their $15.7 million buyout refunded.

The original lease plus 7 amendments were signed over the period of 2015 - 2021. There’s a decent chance Toast was on the hook for lease payments in the area $65 - $70 per sf per year. If they were paying $65 per sf, they’ll be saving about $38.7 million with the buyout relative to seeing the lease through.

Presumably they’ll consolidate into their smaller space on the 5th floor that they’re keeping through the end of next year after vacating their larger space on the 8th floor at the end of next month. If they can find space for 2025-2029 for less than that $38.7 million (putting aside their IRR and any possible refunds - which work in opposite directions in the calculation - for now) they’ll come out ahead on this deal. That’s very likely if they’ve determined that they’ll only need, say, max 50k SF of space going forward, given work from home trends.

Just to close the loop on this one, Toast will be leasing 102ksf in Fort Point at 333 Summer St.:

As of 8/13/23

Attachments

• IMG_0685.JPG
    IMG_0685.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0692.JPG
    IMG_0692.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0694.JPG
    IMG_0694.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0695.jpg
    IMG_0695.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0696.jpg
    IMG_0696.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 146
Still working on setting rebar at the first floor since the beginning of October! Looks like they set the crane base as well. Hopefully they can pour the first floor before winter sets in. It can act as a roof area to enclose the garage levels below where they can work thru the winter.

IMG_3218.JPG
IMG_3228.JPG
IMG_3219.JPG

Black steel looks so good. I wouldnt mind a few more black facade towers around the city.
I was just thinking that. the black steel is a great way to make a generic glass tower have more depth and stand out from the rest. Wonder what it would look like for other colors as well, wouldn't mind having a bright yellow, green, red exterior frame to differentiate from blue glass in the city

Back