45-53 Hereford Street | Back Bay

BostonObserver

Reaction score
There is a new building proposed for Newbury Street.

45-53 Hereford Street – New 5 story building in the back yard (parking lot), commercial and residential use with Newbury Street entrances. The new building will also connect to 51 and 53 Hereford Street on the first, second and third floors and provide a new single accessible entity on Newbury Street. - James Greene, Attorney. Fairfield group, owner

If you click the pfd on this page you can see the details.

http://backbay.patch.com/articles/a...t-architecture-committee-meeting#pdf-10148767

This would seem to be the parking lot next to Sonsie's and across from BAC.

Ok. The facade isn't brick. Works for me. But is that alcoabond or whatever you architects call that cheesy aluminum siding?

The Patch writer Cate looks cute in her photo. But her bio... Cate: try spell check. Maybe the grammar button too.

I remember getting drunk in that parking lot before going to Axis.

Good times.

This'll be interesting -- the Back Bay Neighborhood Association is going to have a field day with this design. I fully expect a red brick facade before all is said and done.

Looks like they're getting rid of the stucco shanty on the corner building though. That's good.

Looks great. Always nice to see spots like this get filled in.

I never really even thought of this site as a vacant lot. Sounds like people are willing to invest in any crevice of Newbury that's not the surface lot on the corner of Dartmouth.

I never thought of it as a vacant lot either; just seemed liked a corner plot where the owner made no effort to orient the building to both corners.

I never really even thought of this site as a vacant lot. Sounds like people are willing to invest in any crevice of Newbury that's not the surface lot on the corner of Dartmouth.

CZ -- see the story about the REIT that just bundled and sold a bunch of buildings used for retail on Newbury St. They are now raising $100M for more aquistions -- this part of the Back Bay is uberhot

I never thought of it as a vacant lot either; just seemed liked a corner plot where the owner made no effort to orient the building to both corners.
I actually walked by this parcel not too long ago before hearing about this proposal lamenting both the gap in the street wall on Newbury Street and the blank wall facing Newbury Street from the existing building on the corner. The lot on which the new building would be built is about half vacant, with approximately half of its frontage on Newbury Street unimproved. Under this proposal, the existing building on the corner will be renovated to better orient it to both corners, and attached to new construction fronting on Newbury Street and filling in the gap. This project would make a great improvement to the streetscape in this area.

Ok. The facade isn't brick. Works for me. But is that alcoabond or whatever you architects call that cheesy aluminum siding?

The Patch writer Cate looks cute in her photo. But her bio... Cate: try spell check. Maybe the grammar button too.

As a journalism student, I despise Patch. Good idea gone horribly wrong.

As for the building, I don't hate it. Nice scale, big windows, contemporary without being obtrusive. Perfect filler.

Looks like the project is moving forward.

Board of Appeal hearing Sept 23rd

Last edited:

Back