50 Herald Street | Chinatown / South End

JeffDowntown

Reaction score
50 Herald Street

50 Herald Street​

Notice of Project Change (NPC)​

Comment End Date October 18 2024​

Linked below for your review is an electronic copy of the Notice of Project Change (NPC) for the proposed 50 Herald Street project located in the South End which was received on September 18 2024.
The filing kicks off the public review process for the proposed project. Notice of upcoming public meetings will be posted on the project website and sent out as soon as possible.
The following project description has been provided by the development team:
The Proponent proposes to construct one building with 115 to 120 residential units and approximately 12,000 to 14,000 square feet (sf) of commercial/civic/cultural/community space to activate the ground floor, which may house the local grocery store that currently operates on the site today.
The Project, as one of the three parcels included in the Shawmut Avenue/Washington Street Block, was previously approved by the Boston Planning & Development Agency (BPDA) Board on July 12, 2018.
The public is encouraged to submit comments about the proposed project. The current comment period will be open through October 18 2024, and can be extended if necessary. After the conclusion of the comment period, staff of the Planning Department will review feedback and determine next steps. Proposed projects often go through multiple rounds of review. Once this process concludes, staff of the Planning Department will make a recommendation to the BPDA Board, which will consider the project at a monthly Board meeting. For any questions or concerns related to the comment period, please reach out to the Project Manager below.

CONTACT​

Nick Carter
nick.carter@boston.gov

Mods, if this project already has a thread, please move. I could not find it.

This is part of the Shawmut/Washington Block PDA.

They're proposing about 200 units FEWER than the PDA Plan.

I'm surprised that there's no parking being proposed. There's no mass transit here.

?? its so close to the orange line, also the silver line, also walking distance to a grocery store and so many other things.
I guess it's a little close to the orange line but you have to cross the expressway. There is no silver line, so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Based on the plan drawings they show, we're looking at another plywood palace.

They're proposing about 200 units FEWER than the PDA Plan.
Likely the reality of financing affordable units. This is another CCBA (Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association) project (like the Tai Tung Village expansion), and they try to do 100% affordable unit projects.

Not sure what you mean. There's a bus stop but no rapid transit.
MBTA bills the Silver Line as bus rapid transit. It does have a bus lane on Washington Street. (And yes, it is a bit of a joke, but it is delineated separately from buses on the MBTA maps).

I guess it's a little close to the orange line but you have to cross the expressway. There is no silver line, so I'm not sure what you mean by that.
Not sure what you mean. There's a bus stop but no rapid transit.
Are the goalposts on wheels now?

6 minute walk to Tufts. This is a non-issue.

MBTA bills the Silver Line as bus rapid transit. It does have a bus lane on Washington Street. (And yes, it is a bit of a joke, but it is delineated separately from buses on the MBTA maps).
Well there is no silver line mass transit line. There's a bus, but lots of streets have buses.

Well there is no silver line mass transit line. There's a bus, but lots of streets have buses.
Bro is not based 😂 "C-Mart Supermarket" is 50 Herald

1726776874848.png

1726777136454.png

Buses are a part of "mass transit." If you want to argue the Silver Line isn't "rapid transit," fine, I probably agree, whatever.

You brought this up because you were surprised this place will have no parking. I think that's totally reasonable here. I actually think that's great. This spot is surrounded by public transit. There's a pretty high quality bus right outside. It's a short walk to the Orange Line. (It's shorter than my walk to the Red Line, and I live "on the Red Line.") There are tons of amenities in convenient walking distance. Actually, most of Downtown is relatively short walk. And there are ever more bike lanes going up in the area. For a lot of people, this is a wonderful place to live car-free. If they built more parking, that would have cut into their budget and space for housing units, while contributing to the traffic problem in Boston. This seems great.

Back