88 Black Falcon Avenue | Seaport

That's pretty obviously the intention. There's only really so much you can do given how close it is to Logan plus the cruise disruptions while still making the project viable.

Yes, but it doesn't have to be. It feels li
From the renderings, the roadway appears to be on pilings. Assuming that the building itself is on filled land with bulkheads constructed decades ago (circa 1918), the structural engineering to offload added weight must be fairly intense.

Also, with respect to dwntwnr's comment, IIRC, the present maritime-use tenants remain during construction and will continue to use the building post-construction. That would certainly constrain the scope of any re-development as well. If those tenants were to leave, Chapter 91 comes into play, and there is no expansion for a bioscience tenant.

Yes, keeping the existing tenants in place during construction is certainly a significant constraint (along with the other constraints of structure, Logan heigh limits, Chapter 91). But, there still should be some aspiration here--constraints are often what makes a project good.

While most Bostonians don't come here often, it is a major gateway for tourists. So this addition should have some ideas beyond packing in the maximum square footage. Sure, do that, but have some design ideas about how to compose it. It would help guide the project and hopefully end up at a project that is exciting to people coming to Boston.

From the NY Times Sunday magazine.

Last summer, a few big clinical laboratories, notably Ginkgo Bioworks in Boston, began plans to roll out tests for Illumina sequencers, pending authorization from the F.D.A. Ginkgo, with help from investments from Illumina, as well as a grant from the N.I.H., began building a huge new laboratory next to its current one, where the company would install 10 NovaSeqs. “After we get the big facility built, that’s when we’d be trying to hit 100,000 tests a day,” Jason Kelly, Ginkgo’s chief executive, told me at the time. It was technically possible to sequence many of the positive coronavirus samples, too, he said.

When I asked Kelly what he would do if his capacity goes unused, he didn’t seem concerned. He doubted his sequencers would be idle. “By betting on sequencers as our Covid response,” he remarked, “we get flexibility for what you can use this for later.” After the pandemic, in other words, there will still be new strains of flu and other viruses to code. There will be a backlog of sequencing work for cancer and prenatal health and rare genetic diseases. There will be an ongoing surveillance effort for SARS-CoV-2 variants. An even bigger job, moreover, involves a continuing project to sequence untold strains of microbes, a project that Ginkgo has been involved with in search of new pharmaceuticals. “I think of this as like building fiber in the late 1990s, for the internet,” Kelly said. “Back then, we laid down huge amounts of fiber, then everything crashed.”

But it turned out that a decade after the dot-com crash, optical fiber was essential for the expanding traffic of the web. And what Kelly seemed to be saying, I later realized, was that he would expand his lab because sequencing had to be the future, in all kinds of different ways. There was no going back.

I don't know if the expansion is a reference to their existing operation at 27 drydock Ave. or to Black Falcon.

One day at the New York Genome Center, a researcher named Neville Sanjana told me that he thinks of genetic sequencers not as a typical invention but as a kind of “platform technology.” The phrase resonates among those who study innovation. Such technological leaps are rare. They represent breakthroughs that give rise to “platforms” — cellphones, say, or web browsers — that in time revolutionize markets and society.

The immense value of a platform innovation is related to how it can be adapted for a range of uses that are unforeseen at its inception.
Also from the article, which is mostly about the coming technological revolution in genomic sequencing and what this portends for medicine and health care.

It seems likely that Boston will become a global center for this.

JJYOL6N6UX5S5UVZEJGDYZXN6A.jpg

The BPDA board OK’d The Davis Cos. proposal to re-do 88 Black Falcon Ave. by adding four stories to an old waterfront warehouse that houses industrial and tech firms. The project would nearly double the building’s size, to 684,510 square feet, and give a new look to the first building that cruise ships pass as they arrive at the adjacent Black Falcon cruise ship terminal.
Davis Cos. said that construction is likely at least a year away.

This building currently houses several autonomous car companies, if you are having a hard time picturing a tech company that also needs a bunch of truck/vehicle bay space. Also, on the "how do you get there" topic, like a lot of seaport buildings, the building runs a private shuttle to south station. The Blue Bikes stations next door at the IDB were the heaviest used in the entire system outside of Kendal as well, at least pre pandemic.

I am going to place links to these two articles here. The implication's for Boston's bio-pharma megaverse are incalculable. Companies like Gingko will be among the first to exploit this.

Now the firm [DeepMind, owned by Google] has announced that it has used its AI to predict the shapes of nearly every protein in the human body, as well as the shapes of hundreds of thousands of other proteins found in 20 of the most widely studied organisms, including yeast, fruit flies, and mice. The breakthrough could allow biologists from around the world to understand diseases better and develop new drugs

So far the trove consists of 350,000 newly predicted protein structures. DeepMind says it will predict and release the structures for more than 100 million more in the next few months—more or less all proteins known to science.
“It looks astonishingly impressive,” says Tom Ellis, a synthetic biologist at Imperial College London studying the yeast genome, who is excited to try the database. But he cautions that most of the predicted shapes have not yet been verified in the lab.

DeepMind is releasing its tools and predictions for free and will not say if it has plans for making money from them in future. It is not ruling out the possibility, however. To set up and run the database, DeepMind is partnering with the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, an international research institution that already hosts a large database of protein information.

For now, AlQuraishi can’t wait to see what researchers do with the new data. “It’s pretty spectacular,” he says “I don't think any of us thought we would be here this quickly. It's mind boggling.”
https://www.technologyreview.com/20...otein-folding-biology-disease-drugs-proteome/

DeepMind’s AI predicts structures for a vast trove of proteins
AlphaFold neural network produced a ‘totally transformative’ database of more than 350,000 structures from Homo sapiens and 20 model organisms.

The human genome holds the instructions for more than 20,000 proteins. But only about one-third of those have had their 3D structures determined experimentally. And in many cases, those structures are only partially known.

Now, a transformative artificial intelligence (AI) tool called AlphaFold, which has been developed by Google’s sister company DeepMind in London, has predicted the structure of nearly the entire human proteome (the full complement of proteins expressed by an organism). In addition, the tool has predicted almost complete proteomes for various other organisms, ranging from mice and maize (corn) to the malaria parasite (see ‘Folding options’).

The more than 350,000 protein structures, which are available through a public database, vary in their accuracy. But researchers say the resource — which is set to grow to 130 million structures by the end of the year — has the potential to revolutionize the life sciences.

“It’s totally transformative from my perspective. Having the shapes of all these proteins really gives you insight into their mechanisms,” says Christine Orengo, a computational biologist at University College London (UCL).

“This is the biggest contribution an AI system has made so far to advancing scientific knowledge. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that,” says Demis Hassabis, co-founder and chief executive of DeepMind.

But researchers emphasize that the data dump is a beginning, not an end. They will want to validate the predictions and, more importantly, apply them to experiments that were hitherto impossible. “It’s an amazing first step, that we have all this data on that scale,” says David Jones, a UCL computational biologist who advised DeepMind on an earlier iteration of AlphaFold.

DeepMind stunned the life-sciences community last year, when an updated version of AlphaFold swept a biennial protein-prediction exercise called CASP (Critical Assessment of Protein Structure Prediction). In this long-running competition, which has traditionally been the domain of academics, researchers predict the structures of proteins whose structures have been experimentally solved, but not yet made public.

Some of AlphaFold’s predictions were on par with very good experimental models, and some scientists said the network’s influence would be epochal. Last week, DeepMind released the source code behind the latest version of AlphaFold, and a detailed description of how it was developed1 (academic teams have already begun using these resources to make useful predictions). In the process of preparing AlphaFold’s code for public release, DeepMind refined it to make the code run more efficiently. Some of the CASP predictions took days, but the updated version of AlphaFold could now compute them in minutes to hours.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02025-4

Also lazy as hell. There is hardly any "design" to this. The proportions are wrong and the overhang is there only so they can have an overhang. It's shit.

For real, just some crap precast thrown on top of an existing building. No thought… rhyme or reason.

Cambridge has multiple examples right now of how to take an old industrial building and bring it into the 21st century. Hell Reebok literally right next door did a great job. This aint it, they need to start over.
reebok138*1200xx5328-2997-0-259.jpg

It's located between a container terminal and a cement company. I can't bring myself to care that much if it's ugly.

It's located between a container terminal and a cement company. I can't bring myself to care that much if it's ugly.

It's pretty prominent from the air and from ferries. Massport as a developer is pretty much immune to anyone else's comments.

The project is also hampered by the crap job the did over the past few years on the existing building.

Its also directly on the waterfront and one of the first buildings entering the harbor. Nobodys asking for versailles here but a little bit of effort would be nice.

I'm sorry, it's just... all the color choices used, and those support legs down the sides and... it just REALLY looks like two dogs humping. Which, from what I've overheard in the building, is what the current tenants are calling the design.

In this instance, I don't give a rat's ass about how the building looks on the outside, it's what goes on in the inside that matters.

A NY Times Sunday Magazine article on new biotechnology, largely a profile of Ginkgo, and outlining its current focus on developing new antibiotics as many of today's antibiotics increasingly become less effective. The article hints at why Ginkgo needs landscrapers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/24/magazine/gene-synthesis.html?smid=em-share

In this instance, I don't give a rat's ass about how the building looks on the outside, it's what goes on in the inside that matters.

A NY Times Sunday Magazine article on new biotechnology, largely a profile of Ginkgo, and outlining its current focus on developing new antibiotics as many of today's antibiotics increasingly become less effective. The article hints at why Ginkgo needs landscrapers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/24/magazine/gene-synthesis.html?smid=em-share

Well Gingko is developing and expanding at Parcel O not this building, so... maybe they will take space here as continue to grow...

Back