93 Bridges

found5dollar

Reaction score
From http://transportation.blog.state.ma.us/blog/
Medford I-9314 bridges Map MassDOT in summer 2011 will replace 14 bridge superstructures on I-93 in Medford as part of the Patrick-Murray Administration's historic 8-year, $3 billion Accelerated Bridge Program.

The project will replace the bridge structures with work performed only on weekends in June, July and August, except for the 4th of July. This accelerated schedule will avoid weekday rush-hour traffic to reduce the impact on travelers and communities.

MassDOT is using innovative engineering and construction techniques to reduce the construction timeline. Community and stakeholder outreach is ongoing to inform affected communities, businesses, and residents about the work.

A project website is available with a map, links and other information.

Learn more on the MassDOT website at www.mass.gov/massdot/93fast14

map they talk about...

93fast14_bridges.jpg

Are they talking about completely replacing the entire bridge? Or just stripping things and rebuilding the decks?

Are they talking about completely replacing the entire bridge? Or just stripping things and rebuilding the decks?
It's the complete bridge ala I-495 Lowell Bridge Bundle...

I'm not sure if it's like the "Heavy Lift" project in Phillipston a while back though...

8 years? Wow. I wonder, how much more would it cost to prefab them (in any open space possible nearby) and then on just one weekend, pluck the old ones out and plop the new ones in.

I don't think the 8 years refers to this specific project, but the entire bridge replacement project statewide.

Although, I've observed that bridge repair in Massachusetts does take a ridiculously long time (see Mass Ave., Dedham Circle, etc.), so maybe it is 8 years just for this group.

So I recently saw this picture on another website, and I immediately though BOSTON NEED THIS.

4308027109eb769cd92ao.jpg

Walking over highways SUCKS and there are three major problems this addresses.

-Wind, GONE
-Noise, DIMINISHED

and almost as important...

SNOW.

Nobody shovels the same sidewalks on bridges because theres no abutting property. Put a little roof over it AND NO MORE SNOW!

All 14 bridges are being replaced this summer -- please re-read the posted press release.

These are I-93 bridges over other roads (and rivers), so the idea in the last photo doesn't really apply to them.

All 14 bridges are being replaced this summer -- please re-read the posted press release.

These are I-93 bridges over other roads (and rivers), so the idea in the last photo doesn't really apply to them.

Ron, what does the schedule of construction have to do with what I posted? Im saying ALL our highway bridges need these to be installed. Especially those on the pike that cut through the city.

Do you enjoy walking over the mass pike?

I really dont understand what you're saying, the bridges being replaced are roads that cross over the highway.

Ron, what does the schedule of construction have to do with what I posted?

Nothing, my reply was to BostonUrbEx further above.

the bridges being replaced are roads that cross over the highway.

All of the bridges being replaced are where roads (and a river) cross under I-93. There are no sidewalks on I-93.

Your suggestion is a good one but it doesn't apply to this project. But ... what could we do to improve the dismal underpasses? As a pedestrian, I find them much worse than overpasses. They make many of the approaches to Medford Square unpleasant and uninviting.

Last edited:
One concern I'd have with the glass canopy is, who's going to keep it clean? It will get spattered and streaked by rain, snow, and mud, marring any nice views that pedestrians might momentarily take in now.

Those glass canopies would be vandalism and graffiti magnets. We can't have nice things in this country anymore because of the lack of respect for public fixtures.

Sorry Ron, I didnt realize you were replying to someone else. When I was in Italy, I noticed that the highway sound walls were plexiglass instead of concrete, and they were clean enough that you could see through them. I doubt anyone cleaned them. Also, all the bus stations have plexiglass walls, and I dont think anyone cleans them either.

Lurker, I disagree. As long as their city continues their excellent graffiti policies, it wont be an issue. Ive never seen graffiti on bus stop windows.

Watch house hunters international on hgtv if you want to see graffiti.

Wow, this thread takes me back. I was in 8th grade when this section of I-93 was built, and I used to ride my bike over from North Cambridge to see this highway under construction. I saw it all the way through, from the initial moving of the houses from the right-of-way, to the ribbon cutting.

I didn't realize houses were actually moved off the right-of-way. Where did this happen, and how many were moved?

I saw houses being moved in the Roosevelt Circle area (exit 33). I distinctly remember seeing a few moved to the streets just east of the Circle. I'm sure a lot were demolished, but a bunch were actually moved.

Can you provide a more specific link? I'm not sure where to find this particular project on those pages.

I don't think you can post a more specific link. There's just the homepage, and everything is navigated to on Flash.

It's under Portfolio though, and in the top right "93fast14-PROCESS".

Back