990 American Legion Highway | Hyde Park

Equilibria

Reaction score
PNF. I regret to inform you that this is awful in every way.

At least the buildings are multistory.

Last edited:

HenryAlan

Reaction score
Ugh, not great. But realistically, I don't think we can expect much else at this location. It's not well served by transit. The 32 bus is frequent but super crowded, and the 14 and 30 are much less frequent. And there's not a lot you can walk to from there, either, aside from the Stop and Shop and Walgreens. It's not going to attract people without cars, and street parking is quite scarce. So that leaves the option of a lower density complex with surface lots that remains more affordable, or a higher density development with a garage that is less affordable.

HelloBostonHi

Reaction score
Ugh, not great. But realistically, I don't think we can expect much else at this location.
Could be at least go for a more urban design? This apartment complex would be fine in some car oriented suburb but this isn't that. That section of American Legion has potential, but if we develop sites like this then we're forever relegating it to being a highway instead of a street.

HenryAlan

Reaction score
Could be at least go for a more urban design? This apartment complex would be fine in some car oriented suburb but this isn't that. That section of American Legion has potential, but if we develop sites like this then we're forever relegating it to being a highway instead of a street.
Yes, I think that's a reasonable goal. I was speaking more to the number of units and parking ratio issues. That said, while I agree with you that it could be a decent urban corridor, at least between Hyde park Ave. and Walk Hill, push back is going to come against that, and not just from suburban car types, but also from environmentalists, who see any efforts at large scale development in the area as taking away from trees and recreational opportunities. Most of the opposition I've seen to this particular project has been open space NIMBYism, rather than parking NIMBYism. The same is true for a large and more urban styled proposal on the corner of Walk Hill and ALH.

Massachoicetts

Reaction score
Lots of parking. Looks like something you would see in Raleigh. I didnt submit the best comment.