A Bigger Garage Under the Common

stellarfun

Reaction score
Now the tree choppers can do battle with the tree lovers!

Agency may grow Boston Common garage

Boston Business Journal - by Michelle Hillman Boston Business Journal

The Massachusetts Convention Center Authority is eyeing the possibility of doubling the capacity of the Boston Common Garage, and awarded a contract to a local engineering firm to conduct a feasibility study.

The Boston Common garage is located under the Boston Common and across the street from the Boston Public Garden. It contains 1,367 underground parking spaces and could be expanded to include another 800 to 1,300 additional spaces, said James E. Rooney, executive director of the MCCA.

Last week MCCA awarded a $260,000 contract to Framingham-based engineering firm Tetra Tech Rizzo Inc. to study whether expanding the Boston Common garage is feasible. Rooney said the study will help MCCA decide if the garage?s expansion makes sense. Rooney said only half of the garage was built in the first phase of construction.

Expanding the garage could be a complicated matter legally and logistically. If the MCCA decided to move ahead, it would have to exercise powers of eminent domain to clear the title on unused land, according to a legislative study commission on the Common garage and the Hynes Convention Center from 2006. However, the report did not recommend an expansion without studying the need first.

?This is the very, very beginning of trying to answer many of these questions ... the constructability, the demand,? said Rooney.

The initial study will look at whether there are any serious roadblocks to expanding the garage and will take six months to complete. Rooney doesn?t know when a decision will be made.

The garage operates at 90 percent capacity and generates about $11 million in gross annual revenue, he said. At the time of the 2006 study, the garage?s net cash flow of $5 million was used to offset deficit spending in other MCCA activities. The commission found that gross revenue from the garage had steadily increased from close to $3 million in 1996 to more than $9 million in 2006. In January, the MCCA announced it was raising daily and monthly parking rates at the garage for the first time in three years.

As of March, daily rates had increased by as much as $2, depending on length of stay; weekend rates increased by $1 to $11; and monthly rates increased between $10 to $20, depending on the times of day covered.
State Sen. Dianne Wilkerson, who co-chaired the study commission, said the MCCA will need to determine who uses the garage and whether there is actually a need for more parking in downtown Boston.

?I think that the one thing that is clear (is) there is a dedicated and loyal customer base,? said Wilkerson. ?Parking is difficult but I don?t know that the answer to that is, ?We need to create more parking.? ?

The MCCA has a permit that enables it to operate 1,500 spaces at the Boston Common garage. If the MCCA decides to expand the garage, it will have to apply for a new permit, said Carl Spector, executive director of Air Pollution Control for the city of Boston.

However, a decades-old parking freeze limits the number of commercial spaces that can be added at any one time.

The freeze capped the number of commercial spaces in Boston at 35,556, Spector said.

The number of unused spaces is monitored in a parking bank. There are currently 817 unused spaces in the parking bank for downtown Boston, meaning the maximum number of spaces the MCCA could add would be 817, unless spaces were added to the bank.

Parking spaces are often added, for example, when garages are torn down. Neither residential nor office-worker spaces apply, said Spector.
Seth Kaplan, vice president for climate advocacy at the Conservation Law Foundation, criticized the proposal.

?It was a bad idea when it was floated about a year ago and it?s an even worse idea now considering where gas prices are,? Kaplan said.
Instead Kaplan suggests improving the public mass transit system ? for both economic and environmental reasons.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2008/06/30/story5.html?b=1214798400^1660481

This garage is so far away from both convention centers that I don't see how it would help either one to expand it.

The author's reference to the use of eminent domain to clear title puzzles me. Wouldn't they just dig up a wider area of the Common, or dig deeper? Don't we know who owns the Common?
Since it is public land presumably dedicated to open space and recreational uses, Article 97 of the state constitution requires a 2/3rds vote of both houses of the legislature and approval of the Gov. before digging in. This isn't eminent domain or a title issue.
They dug the whole thing up about 15 years ago. Would one consequence of an expansion be the otherwise unnecessary redo of that work?

I remember when this was brought up last year, The Powers That Be said it was a great idea because it would bring more people downtown (in their cars) to use the Silver Line. :rolleyes:

I have an idea. Find an unused spot, something near a train station and subway line or two. Maybe over a major highway, with a ramp right up from the highway into the garage, you know, keep all those suburbanites and their Duxbury tractors off of our streets. Kind of, what's the word, intermodal. Then build a big ass ugly concrete parking garage. Then, let a developer build a bigger assed high rise on top of the big ass garage.

Gotta love it when the financing of our government agencies is set up in such a way to encourage us to build a garage under our most beloved park, close to every rapid transit line in the city, so that our convention centers can get more money. WTF?

The RedSox garages to be built (Hurry it up already!) over the Pike, between Brookline Avenue and Ipswich Street, fit your description of parking right off a highway hidden by a skirt.

They can't dig up the parade ground because of all the money that was just spend to surface it and install a proper irrigation system. Any excavation should be on the baseball field side of the Common closest to Boylston & Park Square.

I'm sure they'll try to tie it in with the stupid loop and station of the Silver Lie to grab Federal money. 1 billion + for a bus and parking garage gives more for the pols to steal from, than a 280 million F branch of the Green Line to Dudley.

The RedSox garages to be built (Hurry it up already!) over the Pike, between Brookline Avenue and Ipswich Street, fit your description of parking right off a highway hidden by a skirt.
Hmmm. You are right. But there may be some spots closer to downtown that are available...

Gotta love it when the financing of our government agencies is set up in such a way to encourage us to build a garage under our most beloved park, close to every rapid transit line in the city, so that our convention centers can get more money. WTF?

This city is for the visitors.

Suburban mayor+tourist economy=financing prioritized against residents

Gas can't hit $6 soon enough for me, bring it on.

I have an idea. Find an unused spot, something near a train station and subway line or two. Maybe over a major highway, with a ramp right up from the highway into the garage, you know, keep all those suburbanites and their Duxbury tractors off of our streets. Kind of, what's the word, intermodal. Then build a big ass ugly concrete parking garage. Then, let a developer build a bigger assed high rise on top of the big ass garage.

You mean something like this idea.

They laughed a Louis Kahn when he suggested doing the same in Philly in the 60's, nearly a decade before the Saudi oil-embargo.

Bingo!

Stop the wasteful screwing of sacred common space. Go screw something that's already...well, you get it!

^^ It should be said that it may be a tad bit easier to type ideas into a message board than it is to execute them in real life.

I'm sure they'll try to tie it in with the stupid loop and station of the Silver Lie to grab Federal money. 1 billion + for a bus and parking garage gives more for the pols to steal from, than a 280 million F branch of the Green Line to Dudley.

You're too late...by about a year. :(

James E. Rooney, executive director of the authority, which owns the garage, said yesterday doubling the current 1,362-space garage could aid downtown development, provide parking for users of a future extension of the Silver Line... Rooney estimated that construction would take about two years and could be timed to coincide with the planned expansion of the Silver Line at Charles and Boylston streets.

^^ And to be fair, I've never been much good as a consensus-builder.

But really, ideas here, need to get out there. I realize that "getting involved" isn't for everyone, but I think most people would agree that Boston would be a better place to live and work if people engaged with the city beyond their block (or in too many cases, their front stoop).

Back