A. D. White Building

DowntownDave

Reaction score
This building, now rescued from the Levin family slum lords, has been all cleaned up:
WhiteBuilding-01-1.jpg

All the old broken windows have been replaced in the upper storeys:

WhiteBuilding-02.jpg

This is really one of my favorite buildings in the city; I can't wait to see what it looks like when all the work is completed.

WhiteBuilding-03.jpg

Work is also going on in the French building next door, which is another obscure but great gem.

WhiteBuilding-04.jpg

WhiteBuilding-05.jpg

I certainly hope someone takes on the Modern soon.

God there are so many beautiful buildings on Washington St. Why didn't they add that area to the Historic Register?

I am pleased as punch to see work continuing to progress. They seem to be working from the top down.

ADWhite-01.jpg

ADWhite-02.jpg

This is now part of the dormitories at 10 West Street for Suffolk University. It is done except for the ground level retail finishing up their fit-outs.

The least interesting building in those pictures is the newest. Looming skyward. Bland and temporary. A D White and French by comparison look permanent and substantial.

It makes a nice, unobtrusive backdrop to the foreground buildings, though. An inhabited sky.

Also known as Boston Beanstock. Their original location is on Salem Street just before Parmenter. Very nice place.

I'll have to check them out -- the African and East Asian coffees look like my thing. And I've been bitching for years that we need a Peet's in DTX...

There's a Peet's on Federal Street...

Back