A question for those who drink Dunkin Donuts iced coffee

bowesst

Reaction score
Do you take the single plastic cup that the ice coffee comes in and place it inside an additional styrofoam cup? If so why?

I don't, but have seen this done for several years...It's a make-shift, disposable thermos -- I guess it keeps the ice from melting and diluting the coffee...Not a particularly eco-friendly practice...

Yeah, that's crazy, but I have seen it too...it must insulate the iced coffee from the heat of a hot person's hands.

I think Dunk's oughtta can those oh-so-environmentally friendly styrofoam cups and switch to paper like Starbuck's. I saw a picture of a river that was filled with those foam cups...I'll try to find it.

Dunkin Donuts should eliminate the styrofoam cup altogether, I hate them. The Globe had a good article today about how Green Mountain Coffee has developed an even better eco friendly coffee cup. They replaced the plastic liner in a paper cup with a "bio plastic" made from corn. Great idea

lol bio plastic. What a concept. Well if it's biodegradable, I guess it's great!

Many supermarket plastic bags are made from this type of 'corn' plastic. If they are immersed in water for about a year they break down. In parts of the EU companies get a tax credit for using them. Its great for disposable items like cups and bags, but it lacks the strength and longevity to really be useful for anything else.

I'm neither a progressive nor environmentalist, but I see the DD double cups as wasteful. And we should all be making our coffee at home or work to avoid the unnecessary expense of buying coffee on the go.

TheBostonian said:
And we should all be making our coffee at home or work to avoid the unnecessary expense of buying coffee on the go.

That's like the people who'll buy a bottle or two of Dasani or Aquafina a day at a buck-fitty a pop. Anybody ever heard of Nalgene? $15 and you're good for life.

And I'm not a coffee drinker, so I never notice it, but I spotted my first double-cupped iced coffee today. Not very eventful, but one of those "ohhhhh," moments.

While I agree that double-cupping is wasteful, it does prevent annoying excessive condensation.

A single disposable paper cup with a gap for an airspace could be developed to solve the whole problem. Think of a regular paper cup stacked within another ever so slightly larger paper cup.

Back