A Very Good Year

Excellent points ^. It would be fascinating to explore the subliminal images architects hold in their memories as inspiration for their work. People who think 3-dimensionally, as I do, frequently attach architectural imagery to non-architectural work. For example, I do so when I'm writing an article or sermon, or planting a garden. Thanks to our sophisticated visual media and communication, human society now has a huge wealth of images to draw on. This is good news for architecture. It will be interesting to see how traditional Chinese design, as well as modern architectural forms from the current Olympics gets played out around the world in subtle and not-so-subtle ways.

Back to ablarc's original post. How about a little color?

Cush204112_NY_Manhattan_Skyline.jpg

Cush74018_CA_Elephant_Towers.jpg

Thanks for getting us back on topic, statler. The link you posted is really astonishing.

Actually, I don't need a revolution on this scale. I'd be happy with the smaller stylistic changes such as between Romanesque and Gothic (medieval) or between Georgian, Federal, Italianate, French Second Empire, Queen Anne, Shingle, Stick (classical). Within modern I guess we've had high modern, postmodern, and now, what?, baroque modern?
Earlier there was Deco, and before that: Art Nouveau.

Back