Academic Building @ Suffolk U | 20 Somerset Street | Beacon Hill

kz1000ps

Reaction score
Arguing disturbance of Peace

By Monica Collins | May 28, 2006

The founders of a downtown memorial to homicide victims adamantly want to be left in peace. But they fear their Garden of Peace will be disrupted if Suffolk University builds a 31-story dormitory and student center just yards away.

The development could provide a windfall of mitigation money to the
debt-ridden garden. But garden adherents say they don't want Suffolk's largesse.

"It's never been about the money," says Evelyn Tobin , spokeswoman for the board of directors and one of the founders of the Garden of Peace.

"This is disrespect for sacred space, as far as we're concerned."
John Nucci , vice president for government and community relations at Suffolk, says the university will donate $700,000 to finish the garden, endow a maintenance fund, and integrate a student orientation program about violence and its consequences. ``We feel the garden is an important part of the future and we feel we're the partner that can help it exist into the future."

Situated on Somerset Street in a prime location atop Beacon Hill, across from the old Suffolk County court house and within sight of the State House, the garden stands as a repository of remembrance at the crossroads of law, commerce, and politics. The location also makes it vulnerable to the designs of its abutters. Recently, Suffolk contracted with the state Department of Capital Asset Management to buy the old MDC headquarters, adjacent to the garden, and destroy the building to make way for the new dorm and student center.

Garden organizers, saddled with a balance of $1 million owed to the state for the memorial's land, also shun an offer by Capital Asset to forgive the debt when the Suffolk deal goes through. ``I personally don't know why DCAM is inserting itself in a private mitigation discussion," says Tobin, whose daughter, Kathleen Dempsey , was murdered in Lexington in 1992 .

Nucci says the agency can afford to erase the Garden of Peace debt once Suffolk pays it for the old MDC building. He declines to say what the price will be.

This latest episode is another challenging chapter for the Garden of Peace, which is funded primarily by the families of murder victims whose names are etched on river stones inside the space. According to Tobin, there are 500 stones bearing names of victims with ties to Massachusetts and enough embedded stones to bear the weight of 1,000 more. Families are asked to contribute $200 for a loved one's name to appear in the garden.
The impact of the river stones engraved with all those names is powerful.

Likewise, a sculpture representing hope, ``Ibis Ascending" by Judy McKie, is a graceful component. A reflective pool and waterfall, healing aspects of the symbolic plan, have not been completed, however, because of a lack of funds.

Corporate giving dried up even before the garden opened in September 2004. Political support always has been weak. At the Garden of Peace's dedication, two prominent invitees, Mayor Thomas M. Menino and Governor Mitt Romney , didn't show.

Garden representatives recently met with Nikko Mendoza , Menino's deputy director of neighborhood services. ``She was cordial and listened to our concerns," says Tobin. ``The way we left it was that she was going to check with the mayor's scheduler and get a meeting set up with him."

Its organizers say they understand why corporations and politicians are reluctant to throw their support behind the memorial. ``I think homicide is a difficult subject for people," Tobin says. `` We approached a lot of companies early on in fund-raising and it became clear that corporate support wasn't going to happen."

Now, as the garden finds a potential benefactor in Suffolk, the board resolutely rejects the offer . Organizers react emotionally. They see their garden as sacred, not public, space.

In a May 10 letter to Nucci from Leonard Kesten , a lawyer representing the Garden of Peace board, the message is blunt: ``Our group has been clear with Suffolk that the project as planned is wholly unacceptable to the garden." It went on to state that the school's offer of money ``does not even form the basis for continued discussion and is rejected."

Tobin says the problems with the Suffolk project are many: Its height will block out the sunlight needed to grow landscaping plants in the garden. Students might congregate, smoke cigarettes, and, by their disregard, defile the area. Also, a student center, a major component of the Suffolk tower, would provide leisure space disrespectful of the garden's intent.

``Obnoxious activities will face the garden," Tobin says. ``The student center is directly above a loading dock. Above that, there's a fitness center, student lounge, dining hall."

During a phone interview, Nucci said the tower's design has been altered somewhat to accommodate the garden's dignity. A chapel will face the memorial, and there will be no dumpsters on the loading dock, he said, adding, ``All waste removal will be done inside the building." And an outdoor plaza to accommodate smokers and loungers will be fashioned elsewhere.

The Garden of Peace is not the only abutter decrying the Suffolk scheme. Beacon Hill residents, fearing the impact of 800 students in the neighborhood, voiced strong opposition to the plan during recent public meetings.

Yet, Nucci is confident the Suffolk tower -- scheduled to open in fall 2009 -- will be built because it is in synch with the Menino administration's call to relocate students from privately owned housing into campus dormitories. ``We're complying with city policy on this one," he says.

Monica Collins can be reached at mcollins@globe.com.

I don't get it. Beacon Hill residents complain about Suffolk students living on Joy St (I have a friend who fits this description, and he sure as hell parties a lot) and vicinity, and yet they don't want them to be consolidated into one vertical container. They must think that, with these 800 beds, Suffolk will automatically boost overall enrollment by 800 more come August 2009. Duhhhhhh....

However, I would be incredibly worried about having that many college kids right next to the memorial. After the first weekend it's been open, there will without a doubt be a couple loads of puke here and there, and probably a few empty beer cans as well. Had I any connections to the memorial, I would get very very VERY angry over this lack of respect. Suffolk better get a solid plan in place to edumacate those who'll live there, to be sensitive to their neighbor, EVEN WHEN DRUNK.

^ You do make the dorm and memorial coexisting seem very awkward.

Are there alternate locations for the dorm?

What about alternate locations for the memorial? Sure, it's already been built, but maybe it's still the easier one to move, since it's just some landscaping and could presumably go anywhere, whereas there may not be reasonable alternate dorm locations. How expensive would the actual construction be, i.e. ignoring land costs? Maybe the RKGreenway could take it? Maybe somewhere not downtown?

...I'm also intrigued by the $1M garden debt plot twist.

My god appeared to me in a burning bush on top of the Winthrop Sq. garage. It's a sacred space for me now, and there's no way I'm going to let it be defiled by some huge commercial development. Now way, not even for $1M.

justin

Yeah, the "sacred space" claim struck me as, to put it nicely, odd, and to put it bluntly, a load of crap.

quadratdackel said:
Are there alternate locations for the dorm?

I have wondered ever since I first saw Ashburton Place, why Suffolk hasn't purchased and built on the parking lot adjacent to the old Boston City Club, now the university's Sawyer Business School building.

I figured when I heard of the new dorm plans a while back, they would build on the Ashburton lot like they built on the Somerset lot.

I don't get it. Beacon Hill residents complain about Suffolk students living on Joy St (I have a friend who fits this description, and he sure as hell parties a lot) and vicinity, and yet they don't want them to be consolidated into one vertical container.

Welcome to our world here at Northeastern. Quadrat mentioned in another thread that Northeastern is about as popular as dog crap around the surrounding areas when Northeastern (besides the few properties that it bought out and tore down) has done nothing but good things for the surrouding area. They built a work out facility (Squashbusters, Marino Center) for the residents, and they made one of the worst crime sections of the city into a pretty good area. Yet they complain about our roudy students living in apartments (paying rent to THEM), but won't allow the construction of a tower to put the students in.

Lose-lose..

My question is: why is this considered Beacon Hill? Isn't it blocks away from the nearest (non-dorm) house or apartment building?

Just a shot I took a month ago...forgot I had it.

I would not want to stroll around in a park knowing that it was dedicated to homicide victims. There is something really creepy about that. What a strange park.

Does it bother you to stroll through Mt. Auburn or Forest Hills Cemetery?

Yes, a little bit, but the Garden of Peace is dedicated to those who died in a violent way, or at least were killed by another human being, not disease, old age, or what have you.

It's that fact that they are homicide victims is what creeps me out.

My grandfather just died of cancer. That's not scary. If a man snuck up to him and stabbed him in the back, that would be scary. I agree with ZenZen here. And no, I'm not saying that homicide victims don't *deserve* a park or whatnot, just that it's creepy.

And yet we don't usually describe military cemeteries, or the military sections of civilian cemeteries, as "creepy". Even though the people buried in them also died violently.

Eh, Hollywood got me. I'll admit it, and I don't care. Murder in the streets = creepy, dark, and scary. Death in war = valiant, heroic, patriotic. Yay Hollywood.

Ron Newman said:
And yet we don't usually describe military cemeteries, or the military sections of civilian cemeteries, as "creepy". Even though the people buried in them also died violently.

There's a significant difference between getting killed defending your country from a foreign enemy and getting murdered by a deadbeat criminal in the streets of your own country for no reason.

renderings

A few new renderings for this proposal. The height of the tower is listed at 335' to the top of the mechanicals.

image000064na.jpg

image000048kb.jpg

image000021pc.jpg

image000011yc.jpg

image000037og.jpg

image000054kv.jpg

I like how they combined that photoshop effect with the inherently rough-in-quality sketch of the building for those perspective renderings.

These are nice to see, even though I have a feeling this will be cut down some stories before the end of it all despite the Mayor's student housing initiative. I thought the footprint wouldn't be only on the footprint of the old MDC building. All this time, I thought it would occupy some of the useless plaza next to the McCormick building as well, rounding out along the corner of Ashburton and Somerset.

Also interesting to see that it hangs over and anchors into the Somerset sidewalk as well. I hope those aren't garage fans behind the supports. I wonder if it's placement back from Ashburton will mitigate the wind tunnel? Even during the slightest breeze elsewhere in the city, the Ashburton Place area manages to exaggerate any wind by at least three-fold.

Back