ACC/NU Residence Hall | 840 Columbus Ave | Northeastern University

According to Google Maps both sites are in the South End. I don't know if this is an official boundary. Being Boston I doubt it.
South End - Google Maps
Exactly my point. Half of the NEU student body just assumes anything below the OL tracks is just immediately "Roxbury" without even considering the fact the you could argue the South End is a thing.

It's definitely cutting it close, however.

Low resolution because it's a direct screenshot from the BPDA meeting, but a different angle of the building that I personally haven't seen before.
1611875713134.png

Goal of breaking ground in August 2021, building completion in August 2024, per Kathy Spiegelman

Surprise, surprise, but the massing of the building has changed again. Height is slightly lower and there's a few less beds. The massing now more so "goes towards the center" of the plot of land.
Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 6.42.03 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 6.43.30 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 6.45.41 PM.png
Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 6.46.00 PM.png

Is it me or are these meetings just an opportunity to point fingers at NU instead of having constructive criticism. The whole two hours is just "NU didn't do this" "NU didn't do that" " NU doesn't care". I'm all for NU doing more for the community but since when was it NU's responsibility to solve the housing problem in Boston. The last time I checked there is a huge plot of land that can be developed into low-income housing that no one seems to want to touch.

Even more of the South End is technically Roxbury to the post office and the address coding system (fun fact!).

Anyways, the prevalence of vacant lots in that area is a real clue that this lawsuit is bad faith.
Yea, my friend lives in S End on Tremont right on the same block as the Starbucks and his address in Google Maps and other gps lists it as Roxbury. It literally couldn't be more dead smack in the heart of the S End, but I guess that's technically what it is, at least according to some.

Is it me or are these meetings just an opportunity to point fingers at NU instead of having constructive criticism. The whole two hours is just "NU didn't do this" "NU didn't do that" " NU doesn't care". I'm all for NU doing more for the community but since when was it NU's responsibility to solve the housing problem in Boston. The last time I checked there is a huge plot of land that can be developed into low-income housing that no one seems to want to touch.
Tremont Crossing! The name that must not be mentioned.

Down from 925 beds to 800 beds, 175 new beds, 625 replacements for "undetermined Fenway property disposals" that were previously specified as the Leased Properties space but now they've backtracked on that statement.

They also spoke to a "local, women and minority owned business" moving in to the lightview retail space, a quick look at ISD shows a permit has been pulled for tenant fitout of that space.

Down from 925 beds to 800 beds, 175 new beds, 625 replacements for "undetermined Fenway property disposals" that were previously specified as the Leased Properties space but now they've backtracked on that statement.

They also spoke to a "local, women and minority owned business" moving in to the lightview retail space, a quick look at ISD shows a permit has been pulled for tenant fitout of that space.
Maybe they will continue to occupy the leased units in Douglas Park? They are the best of the leased properties.

Surprise, surprise, but the massing of the building has changed again. Height is slightly lower and there's a few less beds. The massing now more so "goes towards the center" of the plot of land.
View attachment 9935View attachment 9936View attachment 9937View attachment 9938

Can't wait when NU announces plans to build another student dorm and the whole community screams " you need to house more students" well, we could have housed more students with the last project but you didn't like the height...

Can't wait when NU announces plans to build another student dorm and the whole community screams " you need to house more students" well, we could have housed more students with the last project but you didn't like the height...
The "community" will not link the two situations.

Residents in Lightview were invited to a focus group a few days ago regarding that space in the lobby of Lightview. It’ll probably be filled sooner rather than later.

The "community" will not link the two situations.
That assumes they polled the community. No reason to believe that the gadflies who show up to neighborhood meetings or get invited to IAGs are in any way representative. Research shows the exact opposite. Anecdotally, lower rox and nubian square meetings have been majority white at times, which tells you just how unrepresentative the group is.

That assumes they polled the community. No reason to believe that the gadflies who show up to neighborhood meetings or get invited to IAGs are in any way representative. Research shows the exact opposite. Anecdotally, lower rox and nubian square meetings have been majority white at times, which tells you just how unrepresentative the group is.
By "community" I mean the people who show up at those meetings.

By "community" I mean the people who show up at those meetings.

I figured. I think it's worth pointing out just how bad these "community" reviews are whenever we get the chance. Perhaps the most regressive stage in development approvals.

Back