ACC/NU Residence Hall | 840 Columbus Ave | Northeastern University

shmorkin

Reaction score
It's making the area more desirable and giving students more cause to be there (whereas [lets face it] neu students in the past probably avoided the area as much as possible). This building (like Lightview) will likely be very expensive. So while normalizing the area in the minds of students, those same students will look for cheaper rents further south, pushing out families.
I feel like this argument would have made sense 5-10 years ago, but this area is already normalized to NU students and has been for awhile. Pretty much every building near the proposed site is northeastern-owned or occupied by northeastern students. Whether this building exists or not isn't going to make a difference in students' perception of the area or their desire to move to surrounding apartments.

Zash

Reaction score
It's making the area more desirable and giving students more cause to be there (whereas [lets face it] neu students in the past probably avoided the area as much as possible). This building (like Lightview) will likely be very expensive. So while normalizing the area in the minds of students, those same students will look for cheaper rents further south, pushing out families.

Everything south of the tracks (and west of Mass Ave) is Roxbury. 🤨
I should have been more specific, my bad. Everything south of the tracks is Roxbury, but to some NEU students, they don’t really consider anything past Tremont, so in their minds Roxbury = Tremont and Columbus only. And with NEU doing developments on Columbus, they’re thinking the university is developing 50% of what they perceive as Roxbury, wherein realty Columbus is just only one small portion of Roxbury.

That probably makes no sense, just disregard my incoherent rambling.

TomOfBoston

Reaction score