Adams Sq and Dock Sq.

Joe_Schmoe

Reaction score
Just some interesting pictures of Adams Sq and Dock Sq. I especially like the ones looking up Cornhill from Faneuil Hall.

001843.jpg

001848.jpg

002400.jpg

002421.jpg

003698.jpg

005043.jpg

005346.jpg

000002.jpg

001566.jpg

001569.jpg

001570.jpg

001571.jpg

002003.jpg

The courthouse building looks amazingly sleek and elegant without Center Plaza surrounding it.

I'd really like to know the story of that arch, which I assume was some sort of temporary monument.

I believe that arch was erected to commemorate Boston's tricentennial. I remember seeing it in Jane Holtz Kay's Lost Boston, I think. I dont have the book handy at the moment, so I cant double-check.

IMAngry said:
I think it says, "Long Live Emperor Menino!"

No, that's what will be on the arch commemorating Boston's quadcentennial -- which is coming up...sorta.

shiz02130 said:
The courthouse building looks amazingly sleek and elegant without Center Plaza surrounding it.

Elegant, maybe ... sleek, I'm not so sure. Definitely the lack of Center Plaza and the lack of window-unit airconditioners protruding from each window helps.

Joe, Thank you for the great pics. When I walk through the area today I lament the loss of such rich streetscape....though by the 50s the area was already in flux. Many of the oldest buildings in Dock/Adams Sq. were being removed and rebuilt with boxier warehouses and the streets were being straightened and widened for the increase in vehicular traffic. One eye-opener was the building on the left of the first photo. It had "Chicago Style" windows...very reminiscent of Louis Sullivan's work. BTW, what do you all think of the new Kevin White monument now installed to the left of the Adams statue? Personally, the sculptor over-exaggerated the feet and hands to the point of making the figure grotesque.

Padre Mike said:
BTW, what do you all think of the new Kevin White monument now installed to the left of the Adams statue? Personally, the sculptor over-exaggerated the feet and hands to the point of making the figure grotesque.

I think it's one of the better peices of public art this city has seen in years. The expression on his face captures White's innovation, personality and his "loner" reputation very well. He was a big man. Why not have a big statue?

Back