Advice on Moving to a New City

KentXie

Reaction score
So I've always planned to move out of Boston to somewhere new (target city includes Seattle, San Francisco, and Chicago). Anyways, I don't plan on moving anywhere any time soon yet, at least not for a year and half or so, but I do want to start planning for a move, namely searching for a job and potentially a place to plop myself down. I've been looking at some few online advice sites but it's good to always seek advice from as many sources as possible and to hear from some personal experiences. To be honest, the idea of finding a new job so far away seems like a daunting and impossible challenge but the fact that it is done before shows that it is possible. I plan to only move after I secure a job. I rather not risk moving only to realize I can't find one.

That being said, any advice will be welcome, specifically on finding a job knowing that you aren't actually physically near the city you want to move to and when you do find a job, advice on when you should start looking for a place to stay (I'm assuming you would have to at least have some conversation with a landlord or a few during the interviewing process). Thanks in advance!!

Economics but the title I normally hold in past jobs are data or financial analyst with my current job being at a financial firm. I definitely wouldn't mind working at start-ups or other companies' business/finance department, however.

Does your firm have any branch offices? That would be your easiest bet, otherwise you'd have to find people willing to fly you out for interviews if you don't want to put a lot of money into it.

As for housing, Chicago has a much more friendly housing market than Boston (not so hard at all to find a decent place on short notice). SF is even worse than Boston. Not sure about Seattle.

Does your firm have any branch offices? That would be your easiest bet, otherwise you'd have to find people willing to fly you out for interviews if you don't want to put a lot of money into it.

As for housing, Chicago has a much more friendly housing market than Boston (not so hard at all to find a decent place on short notice). SF is even worse than Boston. Not sure about Seattle.

Interesting. I didn't think of that. I normally believe that most of my companies non-Boston branches holds only back office positions but I will definitely take a look into that. Thanks!

Back