Airports Affecting New Development

Lrfox

Reaction score
I tend to agree with what people are saying here about the preservation of historical buildings and the difficulty to build taller buildings in Boston due to the BRA and Nimby's as opposed to cities like Dallas, Houston, Miami, NYC, Timbuktu, etc.

I think we're forgetting another enemy (and another unique trait of Boston) to skyscrapers in this town- the FAA. Logan Airport is so close to the Financial District and Downtown Boston that heights are very strictly regulated here. South Station Tower was slated to be much taller, but was reduced to typical financial district size due to resistance from the FAA. I'm dreading the thought that this might happen to 115 Winthrop too (if it gets that far). Most other Cities don't have this. Laguardia and JFK in NYC are relatively far from Manhattan, Miami Int'll is distant, same with Atlanta. I can't speak for Houston or Tampa as I've never been to either and am too lazy to pull up a map for the sake of this post.

But for the Most part, Airports are much further away from the downtown areas of the Metro they serve. therefore there is little to no interference with Skyscraper building/ the FAA.

On top of that, Boston faces fierce historical preservation conflict with the building of new towers and i don't see TOO much wrong with that. Why not preserve an old facade? it usually ensures that the area will remain pedestrian friendly, and retain what makes Boston Boston. Also, it can inspire some more creativity on the part of the architect trying to make a building fit instead of trying to make some flashy monstrosity stand out One of my favorite views of the city is standing in front of the Old State House and looking at it with One Boston Place as a backdrop the old and the new. it's fantastic and there aren't too many places where you can see that in the U.S.

That being said, i can't stand the Nimby "preserve everything and eliminate deadly shadows and turn the city into a forest" approach. Some stuff needs to go (Garage and building at Winthrop Square to make room for the new tower), it's all about a balance. However, the Dainty-Dot facade should stay.

DC's airport is quite close to the city. DC doesn't allow any skyscrapers at all, but I wonder what effect the airport has on development in neighboring Virginia.

I'm assuming you're talking about Reagan National Airport which is very close to the city. D.C.'s restrictions (as far as i understand) are to keep the Monument and Capitol Buildings the focal points of the National Mall and Skyline. So i don't know what roll the FAA plays in that (as the Monument was there long before the airport, being built in 1884) but 555 feet isn't too short and it's close to National Airport.

Alexandria and Arlington are also pretty close by and have buildings that are between 300-400 feet (tallest at about 385 in Arlington), so i too am curious as to how buildings in those cities are regulated. I wonder if the FAA mandates that buildings be lower than a certain height there.

The nimby effect could also play a role there as Alexandria and Arlington have a lot of history.

Lrfox said:
I'm assuming you're talking about Reagan National Airport which is very close to the city. D.C.'s restrictions (as far as i understand) are to keep the Monument and Capitol Buildings the focal points of the National Mall and Skyline. So i don't know what roll the FAA plays in that (as the Monument was there long before the airport, being built in 1884) but 555 feet isn't too short and it's close to National Airport.

Alexandria and Arlington are also pretty close by and have buildings that are between 300-400 feet (tallest at about 385 in Arlington), so i too am curious as to how buildings in those cities are regulated. I wonder if the FAA mandates that buildings be lower than a certain height there.

The nimby effect could also play a role there as Alexandria and Arlington have a lot of history.
The FAA is not happy with proposed new towers in Arlington, but they are far enough from the flight path, that they'll probably get the okay. The super-high South Station tower was too close to a departure radial from Logan.
For new buildings in Rosslyn VA see here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/05/AR2007050501208.html

Note that you need to add 70 to 80 feet to the building height for total elevation as Rosslyn is on a bluff.

As for Alexandria, all of Alexandria is parallel to the flight paths into Reagan National, so building height is not really a factor.

The airport usually cited as the most unnerving from a buildings standpoint is Lindbergh Field in San Diego.
0580310nh8.jpg

plane2sn8.png

Top image is a cockpit view of the approach to the one runway at Lindbergh Field; second image is of a plane flying low over downtown San Diego. (Thanks KZ for linking the images to a photo file.)

Wow that is so close. It's hard to see why height is so restricted in parts of Boston because of the airport. It doesn't seem like any planes are gonna fly that close since the airport is across the harbor. I don't know I have flown out of it before and on the way back in we didn't even come close to South Boston. But anyways, off topic I think. Back on topic
What's up with Kingston?

And I did some measuring too.
The San Diego airport is approx. .83 miles away from the downtown area.
Logan is approx. 1.4 miles away from downtown and approx. .9 miles away from SBW.

Landing in San Diego is fantastic for anyone who appreciates tall buildings. Its like becoming part of an aerial photograph. When i went there in November i was amazed at the view.

TheBostonBoy said:
It's hard to see why height is so restricted in parts of Boston because of the airport.

Maybe, but try standing at the end of Long Wharf watching the planes take off. They bank really hard and ascend as fast as possible in order to stay in the flight path. It's actually kinda cool to watch.

Back