Alphabetical Streets

Well this map should explain the original idea.

http://maps.bpl.org/details_12679/?...srch_fields=all&srch_style=exact&srch_fa=save

This map and to some extent the early Olmsted map show an entire series of streets, including some of the Scottish names which were finally used, probably under pressure from the literary fans and the city's desire for a simplified street grid.

The series includes:

Ipswich
Jersey
Kenyon
Lansdowne
Mornington
Nottingham
Onslow
Peterborough
Queensbury
Roseberry
Salisbury
Thurlow
Uxbridge
Vivian
Westmeath
(No X, what Scottish/British place name starts with an X?)
York
Zetland

Well, there ya go. I've seen that layout but not that map with the names on it. That's pretty fantastic. I've always fantasized (wow, I really just used that word) about what the Fenway would have been like had the economy not slowed down and the shift from townhouses to French Flats not occurred.

It wasn't an economic slowdown that made Fenway an apartment neighborhood; it was the increasing popularity of apartments among the elite, which was actually first pioneered at Charlesgate and swept its way down to Fenway and along Beacon St. in Brookline.

True, but it was an economic slowdown which lead to the slow development of West Fenway and Comm Ave past Kenmore St (hence the low scale 20th century development).

I still don't know if we can blame that entirely. Why were Comm. Ave. in Allston/Brighton and Beacon St. in Brookline practically built out with apartment buildings before the Kenmore area was developed?

The West End looks like it was absolutely beautiful.

It is simply astonishing that somebody thought it was a good idea to destroy such a large swath of the city. Even more astonishing, that they got away with it. That map shows tragedy writ large. Boston would be so much more amazing today if the West End had been left alone, or only altered organically by sporadic re-development.

I still don't know if we can blame that entirely. Why were Comm. Ave. in Allston/Brighton and Beacon St. in Brookline practically built out with apartment buildings before the Kenmore area was developed?

Not a perfect comparison, but it's just as bizarre that the Seaport is still mostly empty lots.

It is simply astonishing that somebody thought it was a good idea to destroy such a large swath of the city. Even more astonishing, that they got away with it. That map shows tragedy writ large. Boston would be so much more amazing today if the West End had been left alone, or only altered organically by sporadic re-development.

People seem to forget or don't realize that Boston was dead and hopeless by the fifties. A Fortune magazine article from I think from the thirties said Boston is dead and will never come back(I'll find the exact quote some day). Virtually everyone had given up on the city. Desperate time called for desperate action. There may be one or two people on this forum(I'm not one of them) who would have disagreed with the actions that the city took at the time. Be thankfull that more of the city wasn't bulldozed.

^^Probably one of the greatest 'what-ifs' in Boston history.

Would the West End have rebounded and gentrified like the North End did or would it have remained a slum and dragged the rest of the city down with it?

How much of Boston's current fortune can be attributed to the razing of the West End?

The West End would have been gentrified along with the North End and South End. I would bet that creating pockets of middle and upper income apartment districts at the Pru, West End and Harbor Towers did a lot to speed up the recovery of Boston and helped signale the city's commitment to change.

I imagine the streetcar line directly outside one's front door probably fostered development of middle/upper class development on those arteries first. Notice how West Fenway developed with townhouses and grand French flats along the main parkways and then stalled with lower middle class housing on the interior streets.

If it weren't for rent control and apathetic landlords starting in the 1950s the original buildings would still be every bit as grand as the apartment hotels on Commonwealth Avenue.Take a look at 114 the Fenway's interior (the executive oversight committee of financial decisions aka the wife won't let me buy an investment unit there as a project......grrrr, so what if the rent isn't going to recoup the investment in 25-30 years) if you don't believe that. It's one of the few buildings which haven't been trashed by cheap or utterly tasteless ownership in the neighborhood over the years.

Loss of parapets, cornices, porches, balustrades, ornamental cast stone, ornamental security iron, brass fixtures, lighting fixtures, mosaic flooring, marble, windows & grilles, balconettes, original elevators, ornamental plaster, millwork, terracotta, faux finishing, etc. has destroyed most of what was considered upper class in the character of the neighborhood buildings. Every bit as bad at the SRO partition and gutting of townhouses in the Back Bay/South End and the moron landlords destroying all the lovely Victorian houses in Mission Hill and Jamaica Plain.

It's infuriating that architectural commissions will allow wholesale destruction of the integrity this stuff, and even more prominent buildings like Shreves, but will come down on me like flies on manure if I dare tint the mortar to match the brick on a facade being repointed without written consent first.

People seem to forget or don't realize that Boston was dead and hopeless by the fifties. A Fortune magazine article from I think from the thirties said Boston is dead and will never come back(I'll find the exact quote some day). Virtually everyone had given up on the city. Desperate time called for desperate action. There may be one or two people on this forum(I'm not one of them) who would have disagreed with the actions that the city took at the time. Be thankfull that more of the city wasn't bulldozed.

I wonder if Detroit "is dead and will never come back." Aren't they planning on bulldozing parts of that city too?

It's worth noting that in both cases it was incredibly corrupt political leadership which chased businesses and productive citizens (the tax base) out of the cities.

It's worth noting that in both cases it was incredibly corrupt political leadership which chased businesses and productive citizens (the tax base) out of the cities.

But Lurker, most large cities in the northern half of the country have lost population since their peak. Are they all corrupt? Don't you think there are other important factors?

Climate and the advent of air conditioning did play a role in migration from the north to southern and western cities. However a great factor in the migration was the economic fallout of tax supported corrupt politics. The cost of living is higher in northern cities and states due to the significant taxation required to support the entrenched century old patronage systems. People and businesses don't appreciate having their wealth confiscated by a system which is clearly rigged against them, so they vote with their feet.

Look at Boston before the Curley era and after. Look what California was and is now. Corruption is fed by taxation and leads to onerous regulations with the intent to collect more tax money or create red tape such that paper pushers can be hired to staff made up positions. The whole cycle, when left completely unchecked, drives the productive people to greener pastures.

The City of Boston is the 2nd largest employer in the city. In a city of 650,000 people, which is the capitol of a state, with all the hospitals, universities, research facilities, financial institutions, defense contractors, the port and airport for freight, clearly something is VERY WRONG WHEN THE CITY ITSELF IS THE 2ND LARGEST EMPLOYER.

Going back on topic -- the South Boston street grid omits J Street, as does the one in Washington DC.

In DC's case "I" was considered to similar to "J" font wise. The planners didn't want people getting confused walking between H,I,J,K and waste time walking a block in the wrong direction because of that.

There is a Jay (J-A-Y) Street between I and K Streets in South Boston. It once ran between E. 5th and Emerson before the Tynan School was built and truncated it. It's now a tiny street that runs off E. 5th and serves as an access way to the pedestrian pathways running through the school grounds.

In the Town of Hull, there is no I Street. Same reason: when the streets were laid out, I and J were indisinguishable.

Back