Amazon in Boston Discussion

Too bad its so urgent...would have been nice in the Hub on Causeway office tower...

Another option is Exchange Place (I know there will be some vacancies opening up, but not sure if soon enough).

100,000 to 200,000 sq ft ain't shabby at all - that could be a substantial lease if this gets pulled off

So this must have been the tech giant---that claimed they looked at Harbor Garage location not Apple. This makes sense now.

This is when Skanska will appear with 121 Seaport, but instead of Reebok's logo, the Amazon smile will appear at the top of the bulding

I was thinkin' the same, but the article state "downtown,"...not sure how specifically they meant that (if they even know). Be nice to get a big new tenant in JHT...

From the article, I think "downtown" is broadly defined. I don't think there is 200,000 sq ft of Class A space sitting empty in Boston outside of downtown, seaport, Back Bay.

http://121seaport.com/

The flexibility of an open floorplan might appeal to Amazon. Question is whether the construction timetable meets Amazon's needs.

From the article, I think "downtown" is broadly defined. I don't think there is 200,000 sq ft of Class A space sitting empty in Boston outside of downtown, seaport, Back Bay.

http://121seaport.com/

The flexibility of an open floorplan might appeal to Amazon. Question is whether the construction timetable meets Amazon's needs.

I have to imagine that 125 High St still has a lot of open space after pwc moved to the seaport. I think they had ~15 or so floors. Not sure if it was the main tower or the Oliver Street tower, but they each look like they have a floor plate of at least 20,000 SF, so that would mean roughly 300,000 SF of office space vacated.

Edit: I just found this article from October 2015 stating they left 376,650 SF at 125 High St.

121 Seaport won't be ready for move in by year end as Amazon wants. I think Exchange Place or IP.

I work in One Post Office Square, and Putnam Investments is moving across the street to the pregnant building soon, so we'll have some open floors here!

I work in One Post Office Square, and Putnam Investments is moving across the street to the pregnant building soon, so we'll have some open floors here!

Oh yea, I forgot about this. I used to work in One P.O. If I remember correctly they occupied the first 17 floors? So excluding the 1st floor, that would be 16 floors at ~20,000SF/Floor. That would give them plenty of space.

Someone moved into the JHT recently.... i'm sure it helped.

kind of sad we're still talking about filling this tower.

Here's one we didn't consider:

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2017/01/18/amazon-is-searching-for-office-space-in-boston.html
Another likely contender is Center Plaza, 720,000-square-foot, curved low-rise office adjacent to Government Center. The Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Boston division recently left its longtime regional headquarters at Center Plaza, which frees up a large chunk of space at the property.

San Francisco-based Shorenstein Properties owns Center Plaza. A Shorenstein representative who requested to remain anonymous confirmed that Amazon officials have toured the facility.

The article mentioned several other low-rise options; emphasizes the "near term" aspect of this.

I'd love to see a big anchor tenant land at Center Plaza. I am guessing that Shorenstein is slow-rolling their big renovation/jewel box plans pending something like this. Given that it's such a centerpiece structure that's in dire need of a refresh, I hope this may pan out...

I wonder how many people they plan to hire. One of my roommates interviewed for the company recently and it looks like they are looking to hire a lot of management people (she is a mech engineer but was sent to interview for a managerial role for some reason). If anyone is interested in working for Amazon, here's your chance.

I wonder how many people they plan to hire. One of my roommates interviewed for the company recently and it looks like they are looking to hire a lot of management people (she is a mech engineer but was sent to interview for a managerial role for some reason). If anyone is interested in working for Amazon, here's your chance.

The article doesn't directly answer that, but it states they are looking for up to 217,000 square feet. It also mentions (though I am not sure how related it is, given other area sites) that there are presently 346 open/posted positions for Amazon in greater Boston. My guess is that whatever facility they end up choosing will house several hundred people, given the square footage and hiring behavior.

The article doesn't directly answer that, but it states they are looking for up to 217,000 square feet. It also mentions (though I am not sure how related it is, given other area sites) that there are presently 346 open/posted positions for Amazon in greater Boston. My guess is that whatever facility they end up choosing will house several hundred people, given the square footage and hiring behavior.

Amazon last year took another 286,000 sq ft of commercial space in Seattle. For 1400 employees. You can do the math on sq ft per employee.
http://seattle.curbed.com/2016/3/9/11189166/amazon-square-feet-seattle-office-space-urban-union

Center Plaza space seems pretty broken up, unless the floorplate is smaller than I thought.
https://app.gethightower.com/assets/ma/boston/63a10b04/center-plaza

Back