An old Boston travel film

Corey

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone else likes this kind of stuff or if it has been shared before, but I find it interesting.

My favorite line is "...we fly downtown where the historic buildings of old Boston, whose names are cherished throughout the land, rub shoulders with the modern skyscrapers of today."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bhyIgrxCY0

Why is the hill up to the State House so flat? Weird. And, are those private boats on the lagoon in the Public Garden?? And what is that huge tower just outside Copley Square, around 5:45?? At 8:45 you can see the Atlantic Ave elevated near Independence Wharf.

I love this kind of stuff. I just wet my pants.

"But Boston is also a great modern city....we realize that the present has thrilled that equal those of the past."

Somehow this hasn't changed much, for good and bad.

The thing to note when watching this film is that this time period was the zenith of old Boston. It was all down hill from there until the 1960s with the "New Boston" which brought rise to the city we have today.

Also, over $100,000,000 in 1920 dollars is A WHOLE SH*T LOAD OF CA$H!

Friggin' awesome!

vanshnookenraggen said:
over $100,000,000 in 1920 dollars is A WHOLE SH*T LOAD OF CA$H!

Over $100 million in 1927 dollars works out to about $1.2 billion today.... not bad, but Harvard's endowment last summer (before the recession took its toll) was up around $37 billion. That's a 3000% increase while the student body has only gone up by 130%.

Back