Any more 600+ footers on the horizon?

PT1987

Reaction score
I know there are three currently under construction, those being Bullfinch, Winthrop and South Station, but are there any more 600+ footers on the horizon, approved, or in the planning stages? Thanks.

That’s a good question - but curious what everyone thinks of these..

1. When will Red/Blue happen?

2 Which one of these major transit projects will be built first and when?
  • Red Extension (Waltham, Lexington);
  • Blue Extension (Lynn, Salem, Kenmore, Riverside) or new branch
  • Orange Extension (Needham, Dedham, Reading)
  • New Seaport rail line
  • North/South Rail Link
3. When and where will the next 700ft+ tower be built?

4. When will Boston finally have a 1000+ tower

5. When and where will the next Boston sports venue be built? If answered Revs then same question but only amongst major 4 teams

6. What will be the next MAJOR project built that isn’t transit, skyscraper or sports venue? (
For instance; like an Amazon campus, Big Dig)

Last edited:

• Orange Extension (Needham, Dedham)
  • New Seaport rail line
  • North/South Rail Link

5. When and where will the next Boston sports venue be built? If answered Revs then same question but only amongst major 4 teams

1. When will Red/Blue happen? About 7 years from now construction could start after design/environmental work and political posturing..
2 Which one of these major transit projects will be built first and when? Blue Extension to Lynn, starting construction in 10 years. Time lag due to route uncertainty.
3. When and where will the next 700ft+ tower be built? Behind North Station in the parking lot on Nashua Street next to the Spaulding building..
4. When will Boston finally have a 1000+ tower 40 years from now. The current market for Boston doesn't support one.
5. When and where will the next Boston sports venue be built? If answered Revs then same question but only amongst major 4 teams. None for the foreseeable future.

• New Seaport rail line
  • North/South Rail Link

1. 2030, according to the MBTA themselves. MGH's building with the headhouse will be done in 2027, pending approval and construction starting in 2022, and the neighboring building in 2030.
2. Blue Extension, followed by Orange. Red's under study, and that study will likely shut it down. The other 2 are so far out from even having design funding.
3. Likely a decade out, depending on the market, unless Boston Properties is betting //BIG// on the Lord and Taylor site, as a rumor suggested on here ~a year ago. I don't foresee many developers going big with proposals in the coming few years.
4 (and 3). Please watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4CCY9RJeD4&t=104s

• New Seaport rail line
  • North/South Rail Link

I think the Lord and Taylor site may be a possibility - but I think there will be something more along the lines of 400 ft there.

North Station area is likely in the parking in the back.

In terms of where I think it would be cool would be the failed proposal of the South Bay Tower - that one never caught any steam and was supposed to be tall.

In terms of where I think it would be cool would be the failed proposal of the South Bay Tower - that one never caught any steam and was supposed to be tall.

The South Bay Tower proposal was located in an area where the height limit is about 325 feet due to the FAA airspace restrictions over the city. As much as I would've loved to see the South Bay Tower become a reality, it was a DOA proposal.

Added a 6th question. Curious what everyone here would think

The South Bay Tower proposal was located in an area where the height limit is about 325 feet due to the FAA airspace restrictions over the city. As much as I would've loved to see the South Bay Tower become a reality, it was a DOA proposal.

Looking at that map it’s dawned on me - the only real areas you’ll ever see massive towers in Boston would be in the Back Bay. Unless the density in our area took off to such a degree that the Cambridge waterfront became a secondary skyline.

1. When will Red/Blue happen? I would say 2026-2029. Opens in 2029.

• Red Extension (Waltham, Lexington); 2040.
  • Blue Extension (Lynn, Salem, Kenmore, Riverside) or new branch Late 2020s we see big concrete plans. Comes to fruition by 2035.
  • Orange Extension (Needham, Dedham, Reading) 2040+
  • New Seaport rail line 2030s we might see something happen to Seaport. Light Rail.
  • North/South Rail Link 2045
3. When and where will the next 700ft+ tower be built? We could see some proposals by the end of the decade. Id say by North Station.

4. When will Boston finally have a 1000+ tower 2050+

5. When and where will the next Boston sports venue be built? If answered Revs then same question but only amongst major 4 teams Everett on entertainment district probably plans will come out in the late 2020s

6. What will be the next MAJOR project built that isn’t transit, skyscraper or sports venue? (
For instance; like an Amazon campus, Big Dig) Community/African development around Nubian Square. Its going to be big.

• Orange Extension (Needham, Dedham, Reading)
  • New Seaport rail line
  • North/South Rail Link
Aren't most of these in the MBTA project plan? I forget the exact name, Focus 40- The 2040 Investment Plan?

Revs, but that's still in the air. The Rev's coach spoke on 98.5- The Sports Hub with Bettle & Zoe, stated that he anticipated big news from the Krafts group by the end of the year regarding a stadium in/nearby the Boston Area.

Back