Apple Store Thread ][

The new version, from the Courant. Not very different other than at ground level.

169101308_3c23d84047.jpg

Both of Apple's proposals are not that much different from Foster's MFA expansion. Ironic -- even hilarious -- that an outfit perceived as hip, edgy and youth oriented, and one generally associated with tradition and conservatism should pick the same design as expression of their values.

169111520_2bd6420514_o.jpg

I think that the new version is actually an improvement! The pacing of the vertical lines matches well with the pacing of the window patterns in the buildings to the right. They also give the building a bit more heft than is acheived by the floating panes of glass.

Re: your aside about the MFA: While the MFA still has a reputation of conservatism, the current director/curator, Malcolm Rogers, has taken on a number of new projects and exhibitions (ralph lauren's cars, the 'indie rock' concert series') which are designed to help the museum shed its stodgy image (or at least to try to attract greater patronage).

I think the design for the MFA expansion was intentionally neutral. They don't want the new additions to take the attention away from the historic original building or, most importantly, the works that will be housed inside.

ckb said:
While the MFA still has a reputation of conservatism, the current director/curator, Malcolm Rogers, has taken on a number of new projects and exhibitions (ralph lauren's cars, the 'indie rock' concert series') which are designed to help the museum shed its stodgy image (or at least to try to attract greater patronage).
Quite right, and he's doing a great job too. He's taken a lot of heat for it but he's getting the job done. Unlike, say, the incompetent bluebloods who were supposed to deliver the garden under glass. Too bad cloning technology hasn't reached the stage where he could be duplicated and sent to MassHort to kick some butt.

xec said:
Unlike, say, the incompetent bluebloods who were supposed to deliver the garden under glass.
Sorry, this is off topic, but is that project dead in the water? According to their website it's still in the works.

Also off-topic, but it's a lot easier for 'one of the world's most well-known cultural institutions' to raise funds than it is for 'the folks who do that flower show every year'.

True, but in that case should they have undertaken the project in the first place?

So, I just was walking by the site of the future Apple Store and some executive types were in there. The door was open so I decided to pop my head in. It turns out the execs were from the copy store. But, they told me that Apple now has control of the building and the store is a go. It's just a matter of time. I don't know if all of you were clear on that, but I wasn't. Glad to hear the news! :D

169101308_3c23d84047.jpg

Don't like it. The building doesn't fit in, this is Boston not some city that has no history.

What is there now? If it is a junky 70's building or something or a vacant lot I would prefer a building that mimics the style of its neighbors. If the spot is not vacanrt and if the building that is there now is the same age and style of its neighbors than I am very disappointed.

The existing building is close to 100 years old, and is not 'junky', but it's not of any real value either. It is only two stories high, surrounded by taller neighbors. A new four or five story building will 'fit in' better.

A9.com 'BlockView' link

yumpt said:
The building doesn't fit in, this is Boston not some city that has no history.
History is dynamic. It moves through time.

This building has satisfactory massing, an improvement on its undistinguished predecessor, though I do wish it were substantially taller (about thirteen stories would be fine). The revised version is better than the first iteration; it now has rhythm like its neighbors.

In a sense this is a temporary structure because in ten years there will be no Ipods.

In a sense this is a temporary structure because in ten years there will be no Ipods.

that is very far from the truth. Sony Walkmans are still around today, as are other cultural electronic icons of the past. also, the ipod isn't apple's only product. obviously, they sell computers and software. and now that windows can run on macs, apple's computer business will only grow stronger, given that the company continues innovating, as it has been so successful doing in the recent past.

And there's no reason why it couldn't be converted to a shoe store.

justin

^ yes, but if you use that logic, there is no reason why any building couldn't converted into any other kind of building. apple's retail segment is one of the fastest growing and most profitable parts of the company and their retail push has only just begun. also, apple is going to own that building, not just be leasing it from another company. in conclusion, i think that store will be there and look the same for a good 20 year period after it opens.

Agreed. I see no sign that Apple is going to disappear any time soon. They'd better not, as I'm a big fan of their computers and do not want to switch to Windows.

What's wrong with the BAC Building? As brutalist buildings go, this one is just fine. Its fastidiousness of scale is right at home on Newbury Street, its form is not uninteresting, and the building's material doesn't matter. Neither does the height, which is less than the multi-story garage diagonally across Newbury.

Has the trompe l'oeil mural faded?

If all modern buildings were this good, we'd have not much reason to complain about them.

ablarc said:
The revised version is better than the first iteration; it now has rhythm like its neighbors.

See? The neighborhood review process can produce good results. This is exactly what it is supposed to do.

(And I have no problem with the BAC building.)

I really like the look of this building. Although like yumpt wrote, the building doesn't necessarily fit in that location was my first though. Thinking about it more though, I think Boston could use more "progressive" thinking like this to add different style structures amongst each other.

I mean...it's not like they threw it in between brownstones or anything. Look at the buildings next to it, I would hardly call them "historic" in any sense.

As for IPods being obsolete in ten years, I don't see that happening. Since casettes there's been a huge demand for portable music, and with the rise of XM/Sirius radio and IPods the demand only seems to be growing. There's always new features they can add as technology develops, I hardly think that IPods will be obsolete any time soon. That's like saying video games are a fad.

First, we were able to put music onto a piece of tape and have the bumps in that tape pass a sensor which played the music back to us. it fit about 10 songs per side of the tape. Woopie.

Then, man invented CDs. Toray pumped these cheap circular pieces of plastic out of their warehouse (a song, btw, which Dave did NOT play at my concert on Friday at Fenway :evil: ), and they sold for twice the price of cassettes despite costing less than 1% the cost to make. These could fit about 20 songs, about the same as both sides of a cassette. Woopie.

Finally, man found a way not to put a small number of songs onto an object which is inserted into another which plays it, but to put the songs themselves onto a portable digital hard drive which stored them for listening to at any moment. These devices could hold thousands of songs alongside movies and shows.

It can't get much better. The only future possibility is that these devices get smaller. And guess what? When they do, Apple will make them. iPod isn't going anywhere. Or at least the idea.

Back