Arboretum Place

If it's transit-oriented development, why does it have surface parking lots?

ehh, it's a start. The original plan was definitely better than this one. Maybe it will be filled up after the parking lot across the street f

Last edited:
What a joke. Forest Hills station serves the Orange Line, Commuter Rail and is a major bus nexus. The density here should be way higher. Awful.

This city is moving backwards.

Couldn't they preserve even the slightest amount of dignity and name it Forest Hills Place? Everything is wrong about this plan.

Is it adding surface parking lots, or just not (yet) filling in all of the existing ones? An incremental plan may be reasonable here.

I'm pretty sure this is the final plan. This project was dumbed down because a lot of the neig

Last edited:
^Notice how every one of them all but completely ignores the street/pedestrian. There may be a reason for it that I'm not aware of, but the top one even goes to great lengths to make sure that the building is cut off from the street.

The largest lot appearing section is already there, and is a separate parcel associated with some light industry. It looks like this proposal adds about 20 parking spots, which seems okay to me as these are to be commercial buildings. The abutting neighborhood is not really dense enough at the moment to provide all of the customer base, nor will Forest Hills passengers likely be enough for that purpose because it is mostly a transit point, rather than a destination.

These parcels are small, they will not on their own achieve enough commercial purpose to change the nature of the neighborhood, so they will need customers from further away, some of them arriving by car.

While I would like to see bigger, bolder, denser, as an incremental approach, this doesn't look bad. The buildings are attractive enough and comparable to other recent development in the area (Staples, Roslindale Health Center, Washington/Beach renovation). More importantly, they fill in a dead zone on lots that are arguably not ideal due to size and peculiarity of shape. To me it looks like a definite improvement to the neighborhood. Is it the very best that could happen? No, of course not, but it is a good first step.

Unadulterated garbage reminiscent of a penitentiary. (Even the colors.)

I noticed today that they've broken ground on the section between Washington St. and the Forest Hills yard. The sign has been changed from Spring 2011 opening to Spring 2012.

I'm going to start a company that specializes in changing dates on construction signs in Boston.

I'm going to be a billionaire!

You wouldn't have made much money Statler, all they did was slap a piece of plywood over 2011 with 2012 stenciled on it.

Passed by again today, and they are digging like crazy. Four front loaders are operating and the site is also quite a bit larger than I had realized, although some of that is probably because of the part that will be parking lot. It will really change the approach to Forest Hills when heading North on Washington.

I'd make my money in volume, so even at pennies per sign I'd be rich.

You see, construction start & finish dates in Boston get pushed back quite often.

I always wanted the bank renaming gig, especially back in the '80's and '90's. The Baybank / Bank of Boston / BankBoston / FleetBoston / BofA contract would've given me my retirement.

Back