Architecture Books for Sale

garbribre

Reaction score
Checked with Briv and he said this would be acceptable on the forum.

I have the following books I'd rather sell to one of you locals than allow some Oaklander/East Bay-er get their grubby mitts on them first.;)

I know some of you will be salivating over these. Some of them have been around the world and back and look it, but all are in readable, usable condition. Pictures of them are available, too, if that would help. PM me if interested.

Also, I have some clippings and may even have project files from the 70s/80s. (Where's Legal when you need them? Is there a statute of limitations on this stuff? Been hanging on the fringe of the SEC too long--breeds paranoia.)

The World Atlas of Architecture, forward by John Julius Norwich (1988 Edition)
Hardcover, very large folio, 408 pages with color plates, b&w photos, maps and drawings.
Very good condition. Due to its weight and size, binding is loose. Paper dust jacket is missing. - $15
img61001024x768bg1.jpg

Living Architecture: Frank Lloyd Wright by Doris Ransohoff (1962 First Edition cloth bound, out of print)
Hardcover, small format, 190 pages with b&w photos and drawings.
Excellent condition, original dust cover is frayed. - $5
img60931024x768az6.jpg

A Field Guide to American Houses by Virginia and Lee McAlester (1984 First Edition Paper, no hardcover edition printed)
Softcover, 525 pages with b&w photos and drawings.
Good condition, some curling of edges and one page has a printing error. - $10
img60991024x768vw9.jpg

The Architecture of the United States, Volume 1, New England and the Mid-Atlantic States, An Illustrated Guide to Notable Buildings Open to the Public by G.E. Kidder Smith with the Museum of Modern Art (1981 First Edition Paperback, published simultaneously with cloth cover edition)
Softcover, 755 pages with b&w photos.
Fair to good condition, frayed cover edges and some curling of pages. - $10
img60971024x768su7.jpg

The City Observed, Boston, A Guide to the Architecture of the Hub by Donlyn Lyndon, Photography by Alice Wingwall (1982 First Edition Paperback)
Softcover, 317 pages with b&w photos, maps and charts.
Fair condition, frayed cover edges, curling of pages, heavily used. - $5
img60981024x768dy8.jpg

Back Bay Residential District, Guidelines for Exterior Rehabilitation and Restoration (No date. Probably late 1960s, Limited Edition Folio)
Softcover, heavy grade paper, almost cardboard-like, 36 pages, b&w photos, maps and gatefold tri-color map inside back cover.
Good condition, some frayed edges on cover, 'Goodhue' written in marker on upper right corner of front cover. - $5
(Mr. or Ms. Goodhue, you discarded it and I bought it... from somewhere.)
img60951024x768ud5.jpg

Boston Architecture, The Boston Society of Architects, a chapter of the American Institute of Architects (1970 Limited Edition Glossy)
Softcover, heavy grade glossy cover and heavy grade paper, 122 pages with b&w photos, maps and charts.
Fair condition, water stained cover and front piece. Humidity has buckled the cover and pages. Back cover has small rip and small piece missing. Inside pages curled but in clean condition. Damage does not render the book unreadable. - $7
img60941024x768xq6.jpg

Last edited:
i'll take the the donlyn lyndon book if its still available

I'll carry it on the plane with me this week. Early bird gets free shipping!

PM me and we'll arrange a time to make the exchange.

Everyone else, you got less than 24 hours for free courier service.

Somebody's got to want the BSA book. Thought that would go first. It's the first public printing fer crissakes.

It would answer all you younguns' questions about why Boston looks so... so... brutal. Heh.

Oh, and it has pics that show Boston's initial 'race for the sky' during the late 60s. Ooooooo. Also has pics of project models from a few proposals that never got built.

Last edited:
well i already have the field guide book from a project i had to do...and im sure that when i get to go to college for architecture (fingers crossed) theyll have me buy my own...although, im all for recycling...shit im babbling.

Back