[ARCHIVED] Harbor Garage Redevelopment | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Boston Arch (Aquarium parking garage)

^stellarfun

Although I agree with the general thrust of your argument, particularly the fact that Harbor Towers has legal standing with respect to the garage, I don't agree with your assessment that Boston zoning code places any burden whatsoever on the developer to prove anything if the Mayor wants something done on a site.

In fact, the BRA has been spot zoning projects all over town, changing existing zoning on a parcel by parcel basis with the filing of a Planned Development Area (PDA) even for relatively minor variations from existing zoning. As you can tell by the name "Planned Development Area," the use of a PDA to change the zoning for a single building is a misuse of this tool.

With respect to existing zoning, the zoning code is not used as an envelope to represent a particular desired outcome for a neighborhood. Instead, the zoning is often at an artificially low baseline to ensure that the property owners come to the BRA to negotiate for variances. Over the past two decades, neighborhoods that have gone through a thorough planning process such as the Seaport were never rezoned to reflect the goals of the final Master Plan -- instead the BRA is waiting for each project to come to the table, using zoning as a tool to begin negotiation of ancillary benefits. This process runs counter to consultants hired by the BRA for Master Planning, who actually recommended that the BRA file a zoning amendment to reflect desired plans.
Sicilian, thanks for the comments. But I think you would agree that it is legally perilous to try to spot zone for a controversial project on a controversial site when abuttors have every reason to fight.

Neighbors to a historic church in Cambridge are suing Lesley University and the City of Cambridge over new zoning laws that could enable the school to relocate the Art Institute of Boston to the church?s lot in Porter Square.

The zoning laws, passed last year by the Cambridge City Council, would make it possible for Lesley to move the North Prospect Church to the south side of its Massachusetts Avenue property to make way for a new 4-story building that would house the Art Institute.

Lesley purchased the church in 2006 and argues moving the art school to the property will add vitality to the neighborhood, help preserve the 165-year-old church and give it new purpose as a library.

But in a lawsuit argued before the Massachusetts Land Court Monday, four neighbors to the church property at 1797-1803 Massachusetts Ave. claim the Cambridge City Council passed illegal zoning laws intended to make building requirements more lenient to Lesley?s properties. The zoning change extended a business district to include the church property, which had been zoned in a residential district that is more restrictive to new development.

?It?s a classic case of spot zoning, which the courts in numerous cases have held as illegal,? said Thomas Bracken, the attorney representing the suing neighbors Peter Lang, Katherine Lapierre, Sarah Farrington and her brother John Farrington.

Mike Murray, an attorney for Lesley, said the zoning changes passed by the City Council followed an extensive review process in which the city and university held numerous public meetings. The city established a Lesley Working Group that included area residents to examine the school?s plans, and Murray said the rezoning will provide a public benefit by enhancing the business district in Porter Square.

Assistant City Solicitor Vali Buland, who represented Cambridge in Land Court Monday, declined comment about the lawsuit.

The church was built in 1845 on the site of what is now Harvard University?s Littauer Hall. It was moved about a mile north to Porter Square in 1867 by a team of oxen, according to Charles Sullivan, executive director of the Cambridge Historical Commission.

Lesley plans to use a hydraulic jack and wheels to move the church from its present perch to a new foundation on the property.

University spokesman Bill Doncaster said the school will then erect a four-story building to house gallery, studio, and classroom space for the Art Institute, which has been part of Lesley University since 1999. A two-story atrium would also be built to connect the new building to the church.

?It?s been there a very long time, but with a use like this it?s going to be there a very long time,? Doncaster said of the church.

Lesley hopes to move the Art Institute into the new home in two to three years, and sell the institute?s current building on Beacon Street in Boston?s Kenmore Square, Doncaster said.

But Lesley will need a special permit from Cambridge for the new building, as well as the approval from the Historical Commission for its plans to move and renovate the church. The commission will discuss the project June 3.

Simeon Bruner, of Bruner/Cott Associates, the architectural firm hired for the project, said the basement built for the church when it was moved in 1867 will be demolished. Lesley will repair the church?s stained glass windows and restore the steeple and belfry, which were struck by lightning in the 1960s.

?It has not been well maintained over the years,? Bruner said.

But Lang said Lesley?s plan would move the church to within about eight feet of his property on Frost Terrace. He said the university could build a facility for the Art Institute behind Lesley?s University Hall in Porter Square without having to disturb the historic church.

?We are not at all objecting to the idea of a vibrant arts college in the neighborhood,? Lang said. ?Our objections come from taking away of green space and putting in a massive structure.?

The neighbors who filed the suit, along with the city and the university have asked the Land Court for a summary judgment to settle the zoning dispute. Land Court Judge Alexander Sands did not make an immediate ruling Monday.
http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/cambridge/2010/05/neighbors_take_cambridge_lesle.html

While I understand your use of "spot zoning" I would point out that while the use of PDA's/floating zones can be seen as spot zoning, land use law in general does not recognize them to be as such. PDA's require at least one acre of land and "supposedly" must conform to the general planning goals established in the underlying zoning for the area.

In terms of actual spot zoning the law generally regards such to be on smaller parcels and to be inconsistent with the underlying zoning "use" (as opposed to zoning restrictions concerning height/size).

In regards to the Lesley issue two things. First in Boston it is actually easier to "spot zone" in the sense that Sicilian is talking about due to Article 80 and the independent enabling act for the city vs. Cambridge. Second the spot zoning claim in Cambridge is weak considering that what occurred (smartly or sneakily) was an extension of a previously existing zoning district rather than the imposition of a floating zone on top and inconsistent with the underlying zoning.

Furthermore knowledge of the case reveals that the challenge is not actually a classic "spot zoning" case but rather a case resting on whether or not the Cambridge Council followed proper procedural requirements when enacting the new zoning regulations.

What was the zoning laws on the Harbor before Harbor Towers were built?

^^
KentXie,

There are now 38 million square feet of development projects permitted in the city of Boston. I don't think we have any problem with developers being "scared" of doing projects here.

Please name all the large developers. Then eliminate the local small name developers. Tell me how many international developers or national developers that are well known for good designs are developing in the city.

Cmon big mouths. Answer the question.... What was the zoning or height guidelines towards the harbor when Harbor Towers were built? Did the BRA have to change or adjust any laws to build those monstrosity?

^stellarfun
Yes, I agree with you. It's because of Harbor Towers' lease that I think Chiofaro is fighting a losing battle. The BRA issues are a secondary problem for him. The State's involvement on Tidelands (which are rarely discussed) may also pose a significant hurdle.

^Hutchinson
An acre is 43,560 square feet. Unless I'm mistaken, at least one PDA currently in the BRA's approval pipeline is for a building with a footprint of approximately 17,500 square feet (319 A Street Rear Building). While I'll agree the BRA's use of PDA's to change the zoning of single projects may not fit the "classic" description of spot zoning, the result is exactly the same... a planning environment that is completely opaque, amorphous and unpredictable for both developers and neighborhoods.

I still believe the problem here is that the BRA made promises that the Mayor wouldnt let them keep. Unless Chiofaro's partner, Ted Oatis, was lying when he told the Herald this (May 14, 2010):

"Ted Oatis, co-founder of Chiofaro Co., said he and Donald Chiofaro had discussions with Boston Redevelopment Authority officials as far back as 2005 and received assurances that they could build towers at least 400 feet tall and were told later that there was ?genuine excitement about building heights nearly twice that size.?

Did they buy the property before or after the meeting with the BRA? Is it common for developers to make $155 million impulse buys without knowing what they're getting into?

Say the BRA approved the garage project for 400ft which would block the views of one of the buildings at Harbor Towers .
Would it really matter then if Chiofaro actually built an extra 200ft on top after that? Massport has already agreed with Chiofaro that the site could handle 600+

The only legal obligations Chiofaro has to Harbor Towers residents are the Heating and Coolant Unit and Parking Spaces.

As long as Chiofaro actually has a viable and responsible plan to handle those two issue's then I really don't see anytype of legal argument. As long as he takes responsiblity for those issues.

Both the BRA and Chiofaro acknowledge that about the time he was considering buying the Harbor Garage, the two sides had conversations about Chiofaro wanting to build something about 400 feet high there. By the BRA's telling, the conversations concluded with their requesting Chiofaro to get back to them with more details about the project. The BRA did not tell him, 'that's a no go'; after all the Harbor Towers at 400 feet are right next door. But the conversation seems to have been more broad brush concept s than anything.

Chiofaro never did have a follow-up conversation with the BRA, nor did he apparently provide additional detail. The next the BRA knew of his project was the public unveiling of the Arch concept, with heights way above the 400 feet he (or his partner) had discussed with them. Another Don surprise.

Its hard to believe that there were conversations back to 2005, because the Harbor Garage hadn't even been up for sale back then. Unless Chiofaro is the sort of person who comes to the Bra with proposed projects for property he doesn't own.

Did they buy the property before or after the meeting with the BRA? Is it common for developers to make $155 million impulse buys without knowing what they're getting into?

It is not common.

The property has major issues with regard to zoning, and covenants and easements for the residents of Harbor Towers that go with the property.

There is no indication, prior to buying, that Chiofaro had any conversation with the condo owners at Harbor Towers about what it would take to satisfy them with regard to their 'rights' in the garage. Chiofaro makes no mention of such, and as voluble as he is, I am sure he would have broadcast it by now if he had.

Given the princely sum he paid, I assume his offer was not discounted Otherwise, because of the limits and encumbrances that went with the property, he might have thought it worth $250,000,000.

Cmon big mouths. Answer the question.... What was the zoning or height guidelines towards the harbor when Harbor Towers were built? Did the BRA have to change or adjust any laws to build those monstrosity?
The 1964 zoning was for maritime-related commercial and industrial, with allowance for a 400 foot docking mast for dirigibles.

The 1964 zoning was for maritime-related commercial and industrial, with allowance for a 400 foot docking mast for dirigibles.

But the Harbor Towers were not a docking mast. So how were they able to be built?

Sicilian, i'm not sure what PDA you are referring to, but the way the BRA and developers get around that fact is found in the fact that PDA's are not limited to the footprint of a singular building. Thus often in order to get the zoning change multiple parcels might be combined to reach the necessary acre requirement. Furthermore while the PDA must have an overall plan for the entire area there is no requirement that such plan be implemented all at once (if ever).

Another interesting note is that because some of the roads are built on public easements, the PDA can encompass such land as might be underlying roads even though nothing will be built there.

Not picking sides here, just a dork who enjoys nitpicking this stuff

^^
Rifleman, I'm not a big-mouth but you asked for it:

The zoning on the Harbor Garage site was 155' when Don/Pru bought it. That zoning was put in place in 1991 to prevent future Harbor Towers from being built - at one point in the 1970s, there was a third tower contemplated, but the BRA took back the land in the 1980s and disposed of it to compete the Rowes Wharf parcel, much more the scale of development that the BRA (and everyone else) wanted to see. So Rifleman, Don/Pru walked into this with their eyes wide open.

Harbor Towers was built under a different regulatory framework at a time when the city was absolutely desperate to get anything built at all. Not so much the case today, with so many projects already permitted and the city not just emerging from a 50-year economic slump.

Oh and by the way for all you PDA fans out there, the Downtown Waterfront Harborpark zoning that applies to the Harbor Garage site prohibits PDAs (and always has) so come off it.

^^
Rifleman, I'm not a big-mouth but you asked for it:

The zoning on the Harbor Garage site was 155' when Don/Pru bought it. That zoning was put in place in 1991 to prevent future Harbor Towers from being built - at one point in the 1970s, there was a third tower contemplated, but the BRA took back the land in the 1980s and disposed of it to compete the Rowes Wharf parcel, much more the scale of development that the BRA (and everyone else) wanted to see. So Rifleman, Don/Pru walked into this with their eyes wide open.

Harbor Towers was built under a different regulatory framework at a time when the city was absolutely desperate to get anything built at all. Not so much the case today, with so many projects already permitted and the city not just emerging from a 50-year economic slump.

Oh and by the way for all you PDA fans out there, the Downtown Waterfront Harborpark zoning that applies to the Harbor Garage site prohibits PDAs (and always has) so come off it.

Because times were tough the city officials altered the regulatory environment (tainted the rules) so jobs could be created. 2 (400ft) Brutalist development period. We'll in reailty they built 2 of the ugliest buildings on the water front with public funds. So that is okay. They ruin the waterfront with taxpayers funds to build public housing. "The 1964 zoning was for maritime-related commercial and industrial, with allowance for a 400 foot docking mast for dirigibles." We'll they sure changed those rules for development.

My point is rules and laws can be changed. I'm not saying lets give Chiofaro a free pass. Lets give this guy a shot to come up with a good plan. And for Chiofaro to move forward he needs to know that he has sometype of height restrictions to work with.

Do any of us believe the city would get an iconic structure from Chiofaro? I don't. I point to IP as a case in point.

One of the best new buildings in my time is Rowes Wharf, IMHO. I know many people on this forum yearn for height, but I don't see what would be so bad about a 200-footer that was as well designed as Rowes.

I'd support height here if we got, or attempted, a landmark building. This is one of the few places left to do that. I just can't get past the thought that Chiofaro doesn't seem capabale of this. Wheeling and dealing and grand gestures seem more his inclinations. Good taste? Not so much.

Greenwayguy, can you answer my question of how many decent size international and national (outside of MA) developers/architects firms do business in Boston. From what I've seen, there are not many variety of developers that would do business in Boston, the hostile environment probably playing a major factor. In addition, and not surprisingly, those same developers, when they actually do propose something in Boston, tend to propose something dull and ugly while in other city, they are a work of art. Most likely they have curtail their design to make sure its not much of a landmark to detract attention to places such as the RKG, cast shadows, or too tall. Messages given just like those of the North End and you not only prevent developers from trying to build something here, it constrain creativity. You probably can't name of one development that stand out from the others the past two decades other than 111 Huntington. No doubt if Chiofaro or any future developers gets approval to build something on the garage, it will not be magnificiently scale like Rowes Wharf for many reason. 1) Why make a duplicate? Lacks creativity and originality. 2) Whoever says that Rowes Wharf is a gateway to the waterfront has never seen Rowes Wharf. Aside from the arch in the middle, the entire structure blocks out a megablock to the sea. 3) Most likely it won't be feasible, especially when Rowes Wharf is around two times the size of the Aquarium garage, unless its literally a giant box. 4) It's going to cast an enormous shadow if the development ends up in the same shape as the garage over the Greenway but two times taller. Tree huggers (if there were really any trees on the Greenway) would not have that.

So enjoy your current eyesore, and the eyesore that if ever built, replaces the former eyesore.

Do any of us believe the city would get an iconic structure from Chiofaro? I don't. I point to IP as a case in point.

One of the best new buildings in my time is Rowes Wharf, IMHO. I know many people on this forum yearn for height, but I don't see what would be so bad about a 200-footer that was as well designed as Rowes.

I'd support height here if we got, or attempted, a landmark building. This is one of the few places left to do that. I just can't get past the thought that Chiofaro doesn't seem capabale of this. Wheeling and dealing and grand gestures seem more his inclinations. Good taste? Not so much.

nm88, refer to my above post on why nothing like Rowes Wharf will ever be built there.

stellarfun, in other words, the height could be changed at spots and is not stagnant. Other case in point is 120 Kingston St.

^^
For those of you keeping score at home, back to Rifleman's original question....there was no height limit under the old B-8 zoning on the waterfront that pre-dated the Harborpark zoning of 1991, so it's not like the BRA made some kind of special exception to the height back then. What they did do, after seeing what 40 stories on the harbor felt like, is make sure it wil never happen again by doing the Harborpark zoning. If anything, the Downtown Waterfront area zoning has been characterized by remarkably consistent application over the past 40 years.

KentXie, for permitted and/or built projects in Boston with national/international developers, let's start with BP, Hines, Archstone, Millennium Partners, Intell/Extell, Gale, and the list goes on...clearly none of these folks were scared of doing development in Boston. If anything the challenging regulatory climate here makes Boston MORE attractive to national firms because they have the staying power to overcome the high barriers to entry here, which keeps values high when the rest of the country is in the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back