[ARCHIVED] Harbor Garage Redevelopment | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Boston Arch (Aquarium parking garage)

The only thing dinging on this board are your illusions on development and how the city & state process is done.

I'm not sure if you follow any of these other projects in Boston. BUT EVERY DEVELOPMENT Process is a SCAM--RIGGED.

It's all about how much your going to pay-off the political hacks or help them get re-elected.

The only thing dinging on this board are your illusions on development and how the city & state process is done.

I'm not sure if you follow any of these other projects in Boston. BUT EVERY DEVELOPMENT Process is a SCAM--RIGGED.

It's all about how much your going to pay-off the political hacks or help them get re-elected.
I guess Don hasn't paid enough. Or, he's too broke to pay the pay-off. He offered Menino $50 million, didn't he?

I don't understand what this argument is about but if it helps, the Trustees submitted a letter of complaint signed by 1,000 people that they identified as residents of the building.

I'm not sure if you noticed, but Menino is gone, and it's a little too early to tell how Walsh is going to run the new development game. This statement might certainly remain true in the future, but for right now it really isn't applicable.

I'm not sure if you noticed, but Menino is gone, and it's a little too early to tell how Walsh is going to run the new development game. This statement might certainly remain true in the future, but for right now it really isn't applicable.

When it comes to chummy, backroom deals, Walsh's comments last week about the O'Brien Probation office court judgement does not bode well in this regard:

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/...ares-obrien-guilty-calls-case-little-bizarre/

I always find it amazing that people expect governments to function without some level of chummy, backroom deals. People are simply not that altruistic.

Corporation obviously live off chummy, backroom deals. Most major non-profits do chummy, backroom deals with their major donors, as do major churches. (Some even sell forgiveness for sins!)

What makes us think that governments, which are composed of people who need rewards, can function without similar grease in the gears?

I think that it is patently naïve.

I always find it amazing that people expect governments to function without some level of chummy, backroom deals. People are simply not that altruistic.

Corporation obviously live off chummy, backroom deals. Most major non-profits do chummy, backroom deals with their major donors, as do major churches. (Some even sell forgiveness for sins!)

What makes us think that governments, which are composed of people who need rewards, can function without similar grease in the gears?

I think that it is patently naïve.

The only difference is the private companies usually pay for their sins. Most of the companies with awful management usually run the company into bankruptcy. I'm not saying that their are not successful companies that don't do shady things but on a consistent basis that company will fail overtime or be prosecuted by our Govt agencies. The problem now is our GOVT. Agencies have been completely couped by Greed, entitlement and incompetence and have joined the sins to these private companies.

The Bailing out Wall Street in 2008 is a good example of how GOVT has gone bad and how broken this system has become.

If you could run a company that could never fail how could you continue not to game the system against the masses through Govt rules and regulations.

Just my thought

Last edited:

If you could run a company that could never fail how could you continue not to game the system against the masses through Govt rules and regulations.

Just my thought

I think you're a little confused, the regulations are there for the reason so that while they can "game the situation" the amount that they can exploit it is minimize.

How do I know? I work at a bank and boy do I love hearing those monthly meetings on regulations and how they affect our portfolio managers at finding sufficient returns.

The only difference is the private companies usually pay for their sins. Most of the companies with awful management usually run the company into bankruptcy. I'm not saying that their are not successful companies that don't do shady things but on a consistent basis that company will fail overtime or be prosecuted by our Govt agencies. The problem now is our GOVT. Agencies have been completely couped by Greed, entitlement and incompetence and have joined the sins to these private companies.

The Bailing out Wall Street in 2008 is a good example of how GOVT has gone bad and how broken this system has become.

Just my thought

This is almost certainly above your pay grade, but......

What is "Libor"?

“Libor” is an acronym that stands for “London Interbank Offered Rate,” which is a benchmark interest rate that is derived from the rates that major banks charge each other for loans in the London interbank market. Each day at 11:30 am London time, banks report their estimated borrowing costs to Thomson Reuters, which publishes the average of these estimates in the form of the Libor benchmark interest rate. The Libor is calculated for five different currencies and seven different maturities up to one year.

As the world’s most important benchmark interest rate, the Libor is used as a reference rate for hundreds of trillion dollars worth of commercial and consumer loans, derivatives, and other financial products across the globe. Libor-based loans are quoted using the Libor rate plus a certain number of basis points, which depends primarily on the particular lending institution, the type of loan, and the borrower’s creditworthiness. For example, a loan’s interest rate may be quoted at “157 basis points over 1-year Libor”, which equates to 1.57 percent plus the current 1-year Libor rate. The 1-year U.S. dollar Libor rate is currently 0.535 percent, so the loan in this example would have an interest rate of 2.105 percent.

The Libor Rate-Fixing Scandal Explained

In June 2012, a scandal ensued after it was revealed that major banks – particularly Barclays, UBS, Rabobank, and the Royal Bank of Scotland – had been manipulating the Libor for their own benefit since at least 1991. As mentioned earlier, the Libor is used as a reference rate for hundreds of trillions of dollars worth of derivatives – a market that is dominated by big banks. Traders at numerous banks had colluded with each other to submit fraudulent daily Libor rate submissions so that they could boost the profits on their derivatives positions as well as create the illusion that the banks were in a healthier financial condition than they actually were during the Global Financial Crisis.

Because of the large notional amount of derivatives and loans that banks hold, even minuscule changes in the Libor rate can equate to millions of dollars worth of profits or losses. For example, Citigroup stated that it would have generated $936 million in net interest revenue in the first quarter of 2009 if interest rates fell by 25 basis points or .25 percentage points, and $1.935 billion if rates fell by 1 percent. A Barclays trader’s instant messages that surfaced during the Libor scandal investigations showed that traders could earn ”about a couple of million dollars” for every .01 percent that Libor was manipulated in their favor.

The derivatives market is a zero-sum game in which there is a loser for every winner, so all of the fraudulent profits that banks and traders earned from manipulating the Libor came at the expense of other unwitting parties that were on the other side of their trades. Many of these losing counterparties were not savvy speculators or banks, but parties such as U.S. municipal governments that lost approximately $10 billion on their derivative hedges and U.S. homeowners who paid higher mortgage rates as a result of the manipulations. In addition to the realized financial losses, Libor manipulation harmed the integrity of the global financial system and served as another confidence blow at a critical time during the financial crisis.

After a lengthy and ongoing investigation into the Libor scandal, U.S. and European authorities have fined the institutions that were involved with the manipulation a total of $6 billion and pressed criminal charges on twelve people so far. According to an estimate by securities broker and investment bank Keefe, Bruyette & Woods, the guilty institutions may eventually pay approximately $35 billion in legal settlements in addition to regulatory fines.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jesseco...dal-will-cause-a-terrifying-financial-crisis/

Think of it this way, $41 billion in fines and settlements for fraid will buy 41 of Chiofaro's Harbor Garage skyhuggers up and down the waterfront.

Am image in today's Boston Globe on Boston light shows the skyline from afar. From this perspective, Chiofaro's Harbor Garage towers would block the Custom House from being seen..

ryan_repairs11_met-12901.jpg

From this article,
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ts-facelift/1wJ1UDHNZQGmSRBTJiZYJK/story.html

I'm always amazed by how we have quintessential New England fishing village type stuff, such as this lighthouse, with a backdrop consisting of one of the world's important economic engines. I mean, how cool is that?

^^^^ can't be sure but i think the aquarium project would be slightly to the left of the custom house from that vantage point

No matter what or where you build something there will always be some angle from somewhere that it is blocking something. Does that mean we should no longer be able to build anything?

No matter what or where you build something there will always be some angle from somewhere that it is blocking something. Does that mean we should no longer be able to build anything?

I don't see the Hancock in that picture. Let's tear down all the buildings that are in front of it!!!!!

^^^^ can't be sure but i think the aquarium project would be slightly to the left of the custom house from that vantage point
I believe the proposed towers would extend over to the low, white-roofed building which is part of the Aquarium. The harbor perspective in all the renderings is the view from about the airport ferry dock. The perspective from Boston Light would be similar to the perspective from the fort at Castle Island.

If the Custom House tower were older, and deemed more historic, then viewshed protection might come to bear. (Particularly if the observation deck was owned by the United States.)

http://www.preservationnation.org/i...ion-law-101/resources/Viewshed-Protection.pdf

"Going forward, if I were Don Chiofaro, I would wonder about the long-term consequences of my legacy as a great football player."

"Am image in today's Boston Globe on Boston light shows the skyline from afar. From this perspective, Chiofaro's Harbor Garage towers would block the Custom House from being seen.."

OK, clearly you're out of bullets if these are your recent arguments. And man, you surely get on here frequently.

Trust me, there is no one in this world that is more gaga for the Customs House than I. Doesn't change how I feel about the garage redevelopment. As mentioned many times, there aren't any other parcels on the harbor that can be developed to the magnitude of the garage site. Therefore, fly your helicopter over 50 feet to the right and you can see the Customs House unobstructed for the next 5 miles at least (if you own a helicopter).

Am image in today's Boston Globe on Boston light shows the skyline from afar. From this perspective, Chiofaro's Harbor Garage towers would block the Custom House from being seen..

ryan_repairs11_met-12901.jpg

From this article,
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ts-facelift/1wJ1UDHNZQGmSRBTJiZYJK/story.html

I mean, if you were to shift about maybe 20 feet to the left of where this photo is taken, the Harbor Towers will be blocking it.

And if you were to view the city from Northpoint or Lechmere, the new Boston Garden Towers, Nashua St Residences, and the Congress St Garage development would be blocking it. Should none of these projects get the go ahead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back