Archstone Apartments

DowntownDave

Reaction score
When did this stop being 'Park Essex' and become 'Archstone Apartments'??

It seems to be fully complete.

Archstone-01.jpg

Archstone-06.jpg

Archstone-10.jpg

Archstone-08.jpg

Flare effects a-plenty. :)

Archstone-07.jpg

Archstone-09.jpg

Any more news on the proposal to demolish this building? With that hideous parking lot and ugly blue building right next door I sincerely hope that plan is shot down.

Archstone-02.jpg

Archstone-03.jpg

Archstone-04.jpg

Archstone-05.jpg

Was there a reason why the center building was saved; is there a history behind it? Famous architect who designed it? I take it that the girders were put there to brace up.

That's the second name change, as the project was first called 'Liberty Place'. And wasn't it going to be condos rather than apartments?

The official name is
Archstone Boston Common
660 Washington St.

Hey, thanks! If it means leaving things as is (for who knows how many years) or tearing things down and building that housing for the elderly, I vote for the elderly! If they can save the facade then go for it but according to the article it doesn't seem that can be done.

Great! A roll-up garage door on Washington Street.

But this building does not adjoin Boston Common! It's a block away.

Ron Newman said:

Good point, though I imagine that many of the apartments have quite impressive views of this building's namesake...

FastLane said:
Ron Newman said:

Good point, though I imagine that many of the apartments have quite impressive views of this building's namesake...
Until Kensington block out part of the view.

speaking of the Kensington, when is that thing gonna start?!?! it seems like i first heard about that project three years ago!

btw, archstone is also completing a pretty massive apartment complex in woburn. it is a anti-urban design and isnt an architectural achievement by any means but proves that archstone is investing pretty heavily into the boston market.

I was in here earlier today with a friend who is moving to the city and it is an embarrassment. The interior is dreadfully boring and was done very much on the cheap. The finish in every apartment is identical and the carpets seem more like those fit for a dentist's office. In daylight the surrounding blocks are populated with quite the unpleasant crowd, at night I would imagine it is downright dangerous. The doorman simply chills at the reception desk and makes no effort to do his job unless asked. We got 20 minutes of solid observation as the leasing agent took a while to make it down from the 2nd floor. I guess that's expected though for a place that couldn't even come up with a real name. Archstone=lame, tear it down before the preservationists fall in love.

Do you think this building will help reduce crime in the are with its staff in the lobby 24 hours that can report crime and its weathy and possibly connected residents demanding a safe neighborhood? Or is this wishful thinking?

kmp1284 said:
In daylight the surrounding blocks are populated with quite the unpleasant crowd, at night I would imagine it is downright dangerous.

You sound like you're from Dover.

The Emerson students are an "unpleasant crowd"? Or do you mean the patrons of the Opera House and Colonial, or the vegetarians at Buddha's Delight?

By unpleasant I mean the homeless, thug and/or crack addicted crowd in the surrounding blocks, the emerson students weren't a problem. In fact they seemed to be well confined to the common side of tremont. That's pretty much right on the rents, but they fluctuate depending on floor, floor plan, balcony/no balcony, square footage, etc. There are two bedrooms on upper floors that are going to fetch $4.5k+ for example. The interesting fact I failed to mention is that it is only 35% leased, I forgot to ask if that was current occupancy, or commitments including those not yet moved in, but either way, not a very good number for a place that was so hyped. They are even giving away a free month's rent.

Back