Areas for a nice stroll

ctsketch

Reaction score
Folks. Planning my wife's 35th and she really enjoyed the time she and I and our 9 month old strolled around shopped and ate at assembly row for the day.

Are there any other areas like that you'd recommend? Good shopping, boutique hotels, good restaurant scene? We are familiar with Old Port, downtown providence, South end of Boston, Boston seaport and New haven already so looking for a new gem

I strongly recommend the Arnold Arboretum in JP and Roslindale. Go for a stroll, then walk down to Rozzie Square for one of the many great restaurants, all of them very famly friendly.

Plymouth harbor and downtown are both great. Newport cliffwalk and the downtown area are really solid. Both Newport and Plymouth also have a great restaurant/bars also.

Plymouth harbor and downtown are both great. Newport cliffwalk and the downtown area are really solid. Both Newport and Plymouth also have a great restaurant/bars also.
Oh yeah I am def a fan of Newport, have not been to Plymouth harbor

If you are interested in new construction and development, I typically review these forums and plan a walk around an area that has a lot of recent activity. For instance, I recently spent a Sunday afternoon walking around Kendall Square in Cambridge because I hadn't been there in quite a while. MIT Museum, the rooftop park at Google, Tatte cafe and the Canal Walk were all really nice on a beautiful Spring day.

I would 2nd Plymouth Harbor as an interesting area for restaurants and unique shops. I also always enjoy Newburyport on the Northshore. Speaking of Northshore, Gloucester and Rockport are awesome as well.

I know there have been a lot of recent comments on this Forum about the decline of Harvard Square in Cambridge, but it's still a tried-and-true destination, plus a GREAT area to walk. There are so many restaurants and interesting places around Harvard Square and Porter Square.

I'll recommend Portsmouth, NH. Not much in the way of nature walks but the shopping and restaurants are fantastic.

If you do go to Salem, I would recommend spending some time in Rockport as well. Cape Ann has lots of nice areas to explore.

Also Ogunquit, ME is great but very busy in the summer.

Kennebunkport should probably be included too. I've never been a big fan personally, but YMMV.

I recently took a trip to Brunswick via the Downeaster. It was nice but not quite at the same level as the other places on the list. The Bowdoin campus is stunning and definitely the highlight of the area.

Last edited:
If you are interested in new construction and development, I typically review these forums and plan a walk around an area that has a lot of recent activity. For instance, I recently spent a Sunday afternoon walking around Kendall Square in Cambridge because I hadn't been there in quite a while. MIT Museum, the rooftop park at Google, Tatte cafe and the Canal Walk were all really nice on a beautiful Spring day.

I would 2nd Plymouth Harbor as an interesting area for restaurants and unique shops. I also always enjoy Newburyport on the Northshore. Speaking of Northshore, Gloucester and Rockport are awesome as well.

I know there have been a lot of recent comments on this Forum about the decline of Harvard Square in Cambridge, but it's still a tried-and-true destination, plus a GREAT area to walk. There are so many restaurants and interesting places around Harvard Square and Porter Square.
Definitely into newly developed urban areas done well. I agree with you about harvard

I'll recommend Portsmouth, NH. Not much in the way of nature walks but the shopping and restaurants are fantastic.

If you do go to Salem, I would recommend spending some time in Rockport as well. Cape Ann has lots of nice areas to explore.

Also Ogunquit, ME is great but very busy in the summer.

Kennebunkport should probably be included too. I've never been a big fan personally, but YMMV.

I recently took a trip to Brunswick via the Downeaster. It was nice but not quite at the same level as the other places on the list. The Bowdoin campus is stunning and definitely the highlight of the area.
Portsmouth is definitely on the list, never thought about Ogunquit though!

Close by I'd add Concord - it's town center is small but pretty nice, and it's a very short drive to Walden Pond, the gropius house and the DeCordova sculpture park, but Hapgood woods is walkable from the town center.

For a day trip, Burlington VT, Northampton MA and Portland ME should definitely be on your list. If you're up for making it a weekend trip, I'd say Quebec City, but that may be a bit far with a toddler in tow.

Speaking as a UMass student, I can confirm that Northampton is delightful to stroll around! There's a Thai place I really like there, as well as a great bookstore, and an antique store that I've been to more times than I can count. Outside of the immediate downtown, the Miss Florence Diner is a must-visit, as far as I'm concerned. Shelburne Falls is only about 40 minutes away, and the Bridge of Flowers should look really pretty right now.

Speaking as a UMass student, I can confirm that Northampton is delightful to stroll around! There's a Thai place I really like there, as well as a great bookstore, and an antique store that I've been to more times than I can count. Outside of the immediate downtown, the Miss Florence Diner is a must-visit, as far as I'm concerned. Shelburne Falls is only about 40 minutes away, and the Bridge of Flowers should look really pretty right now.
Northampton is truly a gem, one of our favorites

Back