Arlington Developments

At least it doesn’t look like one of the multitude of old DEC buildings along 495, with the ribbon windows.

A three story building going up on Mass Ave directly across from the high school... Arlington is BLOWING UP

51900326411_02b7edbbee_b.jpg

I used to work in Arlington. He’s not entirely exaggerating. It’s sort of becoming the next Somerville IMHO. Steel is rising fast along Mass Ave.

No argument, it is growing. But let's be careful with some of the hyperbole - - - - "blowing up"????? "the next Somerville"????????? There's alot of million dollar homes with zoning clout there who say "no". It's not going to "blow up" or be "the next Somerville". It just doesn't have acres and miles of hubcap dealers, parking lots and decrepit 1950s industrial zones. It's NOT Somerville, or the Seaport or NorthPoint - - -those places "blew up". Arlington will grow some, but without T expansion, maybe like a Newton Corner or perhaps Waltham.

There goes the neighborhood!

Notably, last week the Arlington town government officially approved a zoning change, from a FAR of 2 to a FAR of 3. I'll provide a link later for those interested in the comments made prior to the vote, but they were 80% positive (commercial sustainability/density/equity/etc.).

Ouch. That thing looks like it’s dressed up for prom. The Hardie board is quick to apply, but it’s lacking in detail.

The 'Capital Square' (Mass Ave & Lake St) mixed-use building was approved by the Redevelopment Board a few days ago. The version that was approved is below, with these exceptions: the arch is being removed, and the non-brick cladding will be lighter in tone. The brick will be authentic brick.

However, this iteration won't be preserving the 'Five Cent' Bank Building (see further below), and it had two of the setback floors lopped off due to (you'll never guess) NIMBYism. My suspicion is that the Bank Building had to be leveled because of the economics involved in losing the square footage.

I'm not particularly optimistic given that these are the same designers who created the abysmal mixed-use building across from the new high school. (see Post #29 above)

https://www.yourarlington.com/arlin...lopment-board/21244-capitol-030723.html?idU=1

1678406123340.png

1678406696610.png

The corner setback plaza is ugly. However, the second render looks like we dodged a clapboard covered bullet.

Back