Assembly Innovation Park | 5 Middlesex Ave | Somerville

IMG_4160.jpeg
IMG_4162.jpeg
IMG_4164.jpeg

Bike lanes are great to build for at this stage, but I don't really see Assembly as having much bike traffic until those huge commercial buildings are occupied creating more demand, and better+safer connectivity is established with the surrounding neighborhoods. The Everett bridge in particular will open up a new corridor that makes it far more attractive to bike to.

Biking from Charlestown? Sucks.
1711546301849.png

Biking from Winter Hill? Sucks.
1711546405033.png

Biking from North? Actually kinda nice if you go through Ten Hills and under the bridge
1711546483821.png

Biking from Medford? Brutal
1711546592606.png

Biking from Everett? Not Yet.
1711546643382.png

Bike lanes are great to build for at this stage, but I don't really see Assembly as having much bike traffic until those huge commercial buildings are occupied creating more demand, and better+safer connectivity is established with the surrounding neighborhoods. The Everett bridge in particular will open up a new corridor that makes it far more attractive to bike to.

Biking from Winter Hill? Sucks.
View attachment 48997

While I agree with your larger point -- and, further, think that virtually all city biking sucks (even with protected lanes, etc.) -- getting from Winter Hill to Assembly really isn't all that bad if you simply avoid McGrath altogether, which is easily enough achieved by going a block or two past it and turning on Kensington or Garfield and cutting through the Stop n Shop lot. It's an *ugly* commute for much of it (no amount of murals and whatever is going to make riding or walking under a dark and poorly maintained elevated 93 an enjoyable experience), but it's not especially awful.

While I agree with your larger point -- and, further, think that virtually all city biking sucks (even with protected lanes, etc.) -- getting from Winter Hill to Assembly really isn't all that bad if you simply avoid McGrath altogether, which is easily enough achieved by going a block or two past it and turning on Kensington or Garfield and cutting through the Stop n Shop lot. It's an *ugly* commute for much of it (no amount of murals and whatever is going to make riding or walking under a dark and poorly maintained elevated 93 an enjoyable experience), but it's not especially awful.
yea, now I dont even cut through stop n Shop. I just go through that new little park at the end of Cross st. The Kensington Underpass is still a mess. I cant believe who ever the powers that be are didnt make the developers of the tower on the Assembly side, pay to have it cleaned up and maintained.
Still find that no one knows how to use those hawk eye things.
I'll be standing at the pedestrian crossing with a red hand signal and cars stopped getting irritated with me for not crossing.
It's a bit better than it used to be and at least the Assembly side has fleshed out a bit.

Back