Back Bay Garage Tower | Dartmouth and Stuart | Back Bay

Re: Back Bay Garage Tower (Dartmouth and Stuart)

I have often thought this is a prime location for an office tower, and it may be the only current realistic spot for a new tall tower in Boston since it's quite a ways away from Logan flight paths and right next to the JHT. I expect the usual NIMBY grandstanding, but at the end of the day, the new shadows from a 800 or 900ft tower would be minimal.

Other problems I expect: Wind. There is already a massive wind tunnel here. Tall tower + Copley Tower?

The space is definitely being underutilized by just the parking garage.

How cool would it be to have two highly reflective glass towers right next to each other? Would it cause an infinite mirror effect from a distance?

Copley Tower = Not happening
This tower = cut to 350 feet

This is right across Dartmouth street from where the Copley tower is supposed to be built.

Didn't people object to the Clarendon being "out of scale" even though it is right across from the JH as well?

Here we go...pagee and pages of pointless arguing.

Creepy. If you don't like TOWERS, live in the burbs. It's not rocket science.

Has anyone seen the little playground they built in this area, over across from Red Lantern/Zocalo? They built a wall on cinder blocks and put a small playground in. I noticed it while standing in line to get into the Brahmin the other night.

Ha ha. That's the Fidelity spite playground. Donated by them to stick it to Winn so he couldn't have that bit of land to build Columbus Center on.

Banker and Tradesman speculated it would be 40-50 stories to recoup the costs.

And the BBJ article suggests it could go to 50.

If they decide to proceed here with a mixed-use building, I bet we could see 700 feet, given today's office floor heights. Of course, that is speculation with a healthy dose of optimism...

If they decide to proceed here with a mixed-use building, I bet we could see 700 feet, given today's office floor heights. Of course, that is speculation with a healthy dose of optimism...

I try not to get a hardon for height - but a 700 ft. tower next to JHT, with the 400 ft. Saunders development to one side and 500+ ft. Copley tower to the other really gets my blood pumping.

It won't take a supertall to liven up our skyline (and we aren't going to get one any decade soon). These additions would transform the Back Bay from 2 tent poles into a real skyline.

so are they going to demolish the garage or somehow put this building on top that would be a terrible mistake this garage looks horrendous.

As the BBJ article notes, 888 Boylston is not getting built until there is a tenant. So who will be the tenant for this 40, maybe 50, story tower?

It would be people if this city's development patterns made any sense. Fewer office proposals, way more residential needed.

I truly believe Boston/Cam/Som could add 200000 in ten years if it built for it. Granted it would require that it's not all luxury, and also lower the rent of existing stock a touch. In Boston it seems that they could fill bigger buildings they just choose not to build larger.

I don't think the metro-Boston transportation system could handle 200,000 more people within a decade. There are probably sound logistical reasons why the state and local governments don't allow massive TOD. Just because the people are here does not mean the money is going to appear to fix the State's transportation problems.

Back