Bay Village Infill and Small Developments

I prefer the personal freedom of not having a car.

Get a lease. The only headache in my life with the car is winter parking... in which case I just shove it in a garage.

The trade-off is I can anywhere, at anytime, on my schedule, with whatever stuff I want. Oh and my car is air-conditioned and heated, has extremely comfortable seats, plays music, and is devoid of people acting like jackasses on the T. Oh and I get a brand new one every 3 years.

Key thing to me is that, given it being smack dab in the middle of the city, much of Bay Village is a sleepy, dead zone. That's fine for Alewife or outer Charelestown, but not for this particular location.

It is now (although it still has Jacques' Cabaret). I can assure you it was much more "lively" and "dynamic" back in the day, which I am sure residents are rather happy doesn't exist anymore. The entire neighborhood is tiny - I believe the smallest land area with one of the densest populations. It has an interesting historic past, orginally created as the housing for the craftsman and workers that built the more elaborate housing on Beacon Hill/Back Bay, it has a ton of architectural merit. Of course you also have things like the Coconut Grove and fire that happened, too. Plus, with Mike & Patty's there, I fail to see needing much else. I'd also argue that it is pretty hemmed in, and while close to other T Stops, nothing goes really there. By your definition here much of Beacon Hill, the South End, North End, etc should be raised razed to the ground, too, outside of the main drag business districts (hello, West End). Bay Village is tiny and can fit in any of those neighborhoods, and borders it's own "lively" district in Park Square.

Last edited:
I don't believe this info is posted elsewhere; mods please move if it has.

A groundbreaking for a memorial to the victims of the Coconut Grove fire will be held on Nov 26. .

The memorial will be erected in Statler Park.

Statler%20Park%20photo.PNG

Memorial%20Rendering.png

See also Boston Herald,
https://www.bostonherald.com/2023/1...break-ground-in-boston-decades-in-the-making/

The monument will be built to the specifications of the club – 18 feet wide and 11 feet tall – with three 7-foot arches, said Michael Hanlon, vice president and treasurer of the Cocoanut Grove Memorial Committee. There will be 490 granite bricks inscribed with the names of each victim along with informational panels describing the history of the fire.

Last edited:
That would be the compromise for the condo owners not wanting random folks ogling their front door being in the approximate location of the doors at the club.

That would be the compromise for the condo owners not wanting random folks ogling their front door being in the approximate location of the doors at the club.
That would be the condo owners not wanting explicit acknowledgement that their condos sit on the site where 490 people died, reducing their property values.

I do remember the excavation for the condos revealing the foundations for the club. You could map them to the plans as published in the news articles about the fire.

As of 12/22/23

Attachments

• IMG_2091.JPG
    IMG_2091.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2092.JPG
    IMG_2092.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2097.JPG
    IMG_2097.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2101.JPG