Bay Village Infill and Small Developments

They can still build em like they used to, they just choose not to. This also isnt some copy of an older style it looks modern but still has the fine detailing and materials of buildings from years past. Id love to see more of this.

I DESPISE Bay Village.

In this age of urgent need for Smart Growth and more housing, this wastefully low slung, non-dense neighborhood - which has a 98 Walkability score and a 100 Transit score - is the urban planning equivalent of a 12 miles-per-gallon Humvee. In this world there are "Makers" and Takers"......... Bay Village is a "Taker".

Shameful.

I DESPISE Bay Village.

In this age of urgent need for Smart Growth and more housing, this wastefully low slung, non-dense neighborhood - which has a 98 Walkability score and a 100 Transit score - is the urban planning equivalent of a 12 miles-per-gallon Humvee. In this world there are "Makers" and Takers"......... Bay Village is a "Taker".

Shameful.

Bay Village is maybe sneakily the best neighborhood in the city. Sure they probably have strong NIMBY stances and dont want tall buildings but its still a sweet ass neighborhood

Alright, I give up.

Is that post meant to be a joke? I can't tell if it's serious or not.

Like on one hand, Bay Village is pretty clearly not low slung or non-dense. On the other there are bolded and capitalized words.

Last edited:
Its just these newer developments are insane to include parking imo. Like this is the ultimate walkable neighborhood and yet people need to have their cars so they never have to walk around the neighborhood. Its just silly to me that only extremely rich people get to enjoy such a great neighborhood but then they just use their cars anyway. Like do what you want I guess but could not be me.

Alright, I give up.

Is that post meant to be a joke? I can't tell if it's serious or not.

Like on one hand, Bay Village is pretty clearly not low slung or non-dense. On the other there are bolded and capitalized words.

Too funny! You DO understand that your own blue link shows a long pic of 3 and 4 story rowhouses? In the center of Boston? In a neighborhood with a 100 Transit score?

The above line are three cold hard facts. Your giving a subjective opinion. It is what it is.

The majority of residential buildings in Bay Village should be far taller. Given the needs of Boston in 2022, a three story townhouse in Bay Village is a wasteful Humvee.

Last edited:
Bay Village is maybe sneakily the best neighborhood in the city. Sure they probably have strong NIMBY stances and dont want tall buildings but its still a sweet ass neighborhood

Hyannisport preserved sweet ass ocean views because Teddy Kennedy's killed that nearby offshore windfarm. Pardon me for not cheering that either. Just like the old biddies in the Harbor Towers who blocked Chiofarro's tower, there are "Takers" and "Makers" in society.

You DO understand that your own blue link shows a long pic of 3 and 4 story rowhouses? In the center of Boston? In a neighborhood with a 100 Transit score?

Do you take the same issue with the Back Bay, South End, Beacon Hill, North End, or Charlestown? Cuz they all look basically the same as that.

Do you take the same issue with the Back Bay, South End, Beacon Hill, North End, or Charlestown? Cuz they all look basically the same as that.

Sorry but those are very poor comparisons.

Other than the Back Bay, those neighborhoods don't have 5 T stations (3 Green and 2 Orange) within a 5 minute walk.

And Back Bay has several 30-40-50+ story buildings, and dynamic wide sidewalked boulevards filled with stores, restaurants, etc. Bay Village is a dark, sleepy, privileged enclave.

Last edited:
Too funny! You DO understand that your own blue link shows a long pic of 3 and 4 story rowhouses? In the center of Boston? In a neighborhood with a 100 Transit score?

The above line are three cold hard facts. Your giving a subjective opinion. It is what it is.

The majority of residential buildings in Bay Village should be far taller. Given the needs of Boston in 2022, a three story townhouse in Bay Village is a wasteful Humvee.
Are you talking about density? Click on bay village here https://statisticalatlas.com/place/Massachusetts/Boston/Population

Bay Village already has a housing density on the order of ~40,000 per sq mi.

Are you talking about density? Click on bay village here https://statisticalatlas.com/place/Massachusetts/Boston/Population

Thank you, Suffolk, for that link- - that was helpful good, hard data. I stand corrected on the residential density! (y)

Residential density is definitely not an issue there. I would say, however, that because of the narrow streets, paucity of restaurants and stores that much of Bay Village is a dead zone in the very middle of the city that cannot be compared to other low slung, but urban-dynamic areas like North End, South End, Back Bay, etc. Bay Village is a relative bedroom community in the middle of the city. Tourists and visitors walk around it, not in it. Given 5 T stations within 5 minute walks, this is a vastly underutilized urban location.

Last edited:
This thread took a turn lol...

That lot is fucking tiny. It was never going to support a tall building, nor would the zoning allow it. The street infra here couldn't handle it either.

Residential density is definitely not an issue there. I would say, however, that because of the narrow streets, paucity of restaurants and stores that much of Bay Village is a dead zone in the very middle of the city that cannot be compared to other low slung, but urban-dynamic areas like North End, South End, Back Bay, etc. Bay Village is a relative bedroom community in the middle of the city. Tourists and visitors walk around it, not in it. Given 5 T stations within 5 minute walks, this is a vastly underutilized urban location.

Your proposal is what? Demolish and it and build some towers? That worked out great with the West End, lets do it again! There is actually some considerable commercial real-estate within the center of Bay Village, but its offices.

Its just these newer developments are insane to include parking imo. Like this is the ultimate walkable neighborhood and yet people need to have their cars so they never have to walk around the neighborhood. Its just silly to me that only extremely rich people get to enjoy such a great neighborhood but then they just use their cars anyway. Like do what you want I guess but could not be me.

Turns out people really like being able to get places beyond their neighborhood. Cars are nice.

Sorry but those are very poor comparisons.

Other than the Back Bay, those neighborhoods don't have 5 T stations (3 Green and 2 Orange) within a 5 minute walk.

I don’t think Bay Village is that much more connected to transit than the rest of those neighborhoods.

The green line and the orange line basically overlap for that stretch and it’s still a walk to Back Bay, Tufts, or Arlington.

The Back Bay has several 30-40-50+ story buildings, and dynamic wide sidewalked boulevards filled with stores, restaurants, etc.

There was a heavily implied “north of Boylston” when I called out Back Bay. Sorry for not being more explicit.

......There was a heavily implied “north of Boylston” when I called out Back Bay. Sorry for not being more explicit.

I hear ya, but....

Shmessy: "...... and dynamic wide sidewalked boulevards filled with stores, restaurants, etc."
Blackbird: "...There was a heavily implied “north of Boylston” when I called out Back Bay. Sorry for not being more explicit."

Really, though, North of Boylston in the Back Bay has some of the liveliest, widest sidewalks with the most restaurants, stores, inviting street life.

Key thing to me is that, given it being smack dab in the middle of the city, much of Bay Village is a sleepy, dead zone. That's fine for Alewife or outer Charelestown, but not for this particular location.

Really, though, North of Boylston in the Back Bay has some of the liveliest, widest sidewalks with the most restaurants, stores, inviting street life.

Bay Village is tiny. If it were going to have a retail stretch, where would it go? Arlington between The Armory and the Pike? That's like 2 blocks.

Back