Best band of Boston

statler

Reaction score
Who was the best band to be considered a 'Boston-based band'? Feel feel to debate who should or shouldn't be included in the list.

Here is a list to start off. I know I'm missing a bunch. Please add as much as possible.

Boston
Aerosmith
J. Giles Band
Morphine
Mission of Burma
That really obscure band that you and your two friends heard that one night at The Rat who broke up right after because you philistines don't appreciate good music.
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
The Allstonians
Dropkick Murphys
New Kids on the Block
New Edition
Bel Biv DeVoe

My three faves:

The Pixies
Buffalo Tom
Galaxie 500

Aerosmith probably has been the most successful rock band out of Boston. The Cars and Billy Squire and Donna Summer were also big acts during Bostons musical heyday in the 80's.

My favorite non-commercial Boston album is This is Boston Not LA, a punk compilation that can still be found on Wicked Disc.

Mary Lou Lord is a favorite...The Blood Oranges had local ties... Powerman 5000 and Rob Zombie are from Haverhill...Thee Electric Bastards are a band you should definitely check out.

Scott said:
Aerosmith probably has been the most successful rock band out of Boston. The Cars and Billy Squire and Donna Summer were also big acts during Bostons musical heyday in the 80's.

How the fuck did I forget the Cars?!? :oops:

Donna Summer was just willful ignorance.

Mr. Lif, Akrobatik, Boston and Bel Biv DeVoe...

...I'm joking about BBD, haha.

Hip Hop?

I thought you guys were a bunch of Republicans? :wink:

what about Guster? does anyone know who they are?

awood91 said:
what about Guster? does anyone know who they are?
Oh yeah. I guess they could be considered a Boston band. Didn't they meet at Berkley or something like that?

The Pixies
The Magnetic Fields
Dresden Dolls

Dick Dale (he's from Boston, though not sure if you'd say his sound was born in Boston)

I saw Frank Black open for the Foo Fighters in Boston last night, which was neat being a big fan of the Pixies.

Back