Best Cafes of Boston

I miss Liquids in Beacon Hill near the Commons. Buddy and I were just talking about it the other day and all the great memories we had of our youth there.

I'm a big fan of the plain donut at Mike's Coffee in Forest Hills Station, and I like their coffee for a simple old fashioned commuter cup on the go. The plain donuts are far more flavorful and crunchy than Dunks, but I wouldn't call anything about them gourmet.

Mike's is probably my favorite donut in Boston. I grew up in L.A., where simple, old style donuts were like bagels in New York -- much better, and more ubiquitous than just about any other place in the country. Mike's comes closest to that style and has long been a treasured commuting stop for me.

I miss Liquids in Beacon Hill near the Commons. Buddy and I were just talking about it the other day and all the great memories we had of our youth there.
Curious Liquids across the street from the state house? That place was awesome. I think it's been over 20 years since it closed. I feel like Boston was a much cooler place back then. After coffee I'd take a walk down Newbury and hit up all the record stores, browse books at Victor Hugo.

Virginia's (Brookline) - little known, more of a catering biz but excellent sandwiches, bread and coffee with two tables in the window alcoves. One of my faves.

Mike's is probably my favorite donut in Boston. I grew up in L.A., where simple, old style donuts were like bagels in New York -- much better, and more ubiquitous than just about any other place in the country. Mike's comes closest to that style and has long been a treasured commuting stop for me.

Actually, a pretty cool documentary on this called 'Donut King'. Basically a Cambodian refugee that kicked off all the donut shops in LA back in the 70s.

Actually, a pretty cool documentary on this called 'Donut King'. Basically a Cambodian refugee that kicked off all the donut shops in LA back in the 70s.
I will look in to that. The best shops do seem to be run by Cambodian families, would love to get some of the more detailed history.

I stopped by Cicada Coffee Bar on Prospect in Cambridge yesterday—I had their Sai Gon latte and it was truly one of the best coffee experiences I have ever had. Just the right level of sweetness, deep, rich, coffee flavor with a hint of caramel (in the roast, not the drink) and the accompanying pho I got for lunch was also great. Highly recommend.

I stopped by Cicada Coffee Bar on Prospect in Cambridge yesterday—I had their Sai Gon latte and it was truly one of the best coffee experiences I have ever had. Just the right level of sweetness, deep, rich, coffee flavor with a hint of caramel (in the roast, not the drink) and the accompanying pho I got for lunch was also great. Highly recommend.

Cicada is great. One of my favorite spots in Cambridge.

Just tried what I think is a comparatively recent addition to Oak Square -- Glasser Coffee Co. Tried their Vietnamese Cold Brew and a special Lavender Latte. Both excellent; definitely worth checking out if you are in the area!

Just tried what I think is a comparatively recent addition to Oak Square -- Glasser Coffee Co. Tried their Vietnamese Cold Brew and a special Lavender Latte. Both excellent; definitely worth checking out if you are in the area!

I lived in Oak Square for five years, from 2008-13. Glad to hear it isn't a total culinary wasteland any more!

Just tried Reign Drink Lab in Fields Corner (Dot Ave) for the first time--some absolutely stellar Vietnamese coffee options and lots of nitro cold brew drinks. Plus some really tasty, cake-like donuts!

Just tried Reign Drink Lab in Fields Corner (Dot Ave) for the first time--some absolutely stellar Vietnamese coffee options and lots of nitro cold brew drinks. Plus some really tasty, cake-like donuts!

Awesome. I'm down in that area on a semi-regular basis now so I'll make sure to give it a try. Please keep throwing suggestions out there!

Solid Ground Cafe on Huntington in Mission Hill is (no pun intended) a pretty solid choice as well! Tried that for the first time a few weekends ago.

Hmmmm guess who has work close by in JP at 9am Monday? I generally make my own coffee for the first stretch of the day but I'll swing by afterwards.

They're still not doing sit-down dining, but I will share with AB that the absolute best breakfast sandwiches I've ever had -- and pretty damn good coffee -- is at Vinal Bakery just outside Union in Somerville, right before the Target. Thank me later or don't, but keep it under your hat.

Back